“A very enjoyable experience”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level

We were on the 4th floor with a balcony facing the lake-beautiful view
Our room was clean and quite.The beds were very comfortable- sheets nice but could use better pillows. Starbucks coffee in the room for guests and fresh cookies at the front desk all day long. The staff is great- polite -friendly. It was raining one day and there at the front desk was a basket full of red umbrellas for guests to use-It is those kind of thoughtful little touches that this hotel is good at.
Breakfast is included and it is presented nicely with a variety of foods. We enjoyed the soap and hair products enough to buy some to take home . We are already planning a trip back there next
year

Room Tip: Lake view rooms will be noiser because of people on the beach so need a higher floor room if doing...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PHDChicago
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Good September Day!

Thank you for your stay and your review of it. It's great that you enjoyed a fourth floor view of the bay. Thank you for your suggestion on new pillows. We are just about to kick-off a big update to our entire hotel this winter, and we are looking at a variety of pillow providers to improve that experience for our guests.

Thank you again. We'll be happy to have you return next year.

There are newer reviews for Cherry Tree Inn & Suites

Reviewed 6 September 2013

It's a great start when a hotel manager takes the time to reply to comments on this site. It's a great indicator of attentiveness. So kudos for that.
Having stayed in Traverse many times, I chose this hotel as a first for me to bring my teenage daughter for a girls' trip.
I'm patting myself on the back for this great choice.
It's spotless.
It's lovely.
It has great amenities! We loved the outdoor pool at night, and apparently other folks loved the fire pit. There's nothing like campfire smoke in the air while you look at the stars from your hot tub outside while listening to the waves lap the shore!
Though we didn't use the indoor pool, it looked beautiful and again, spotless.
Great room overlooking the lake from the Elk Rapids room. Included Starbucks coffee! How nice!
It's on the north side of town, so plan on a little drive to get to the fabulous food downtown or at The Village, but who cares about a little drive when the end results are so fantastic?
Super friendly staff. Movies to rent. Great snack selection available 24/7. Yes, there is some hallway noise, but nothing a little white noise app can't fix. And, really, most hotels have hallway noise.
Thanks for a great stay. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Go for the lake view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ajackkfam

Hello!

Thank you for choosing the Cherry Tree for your first time. I'm glad you had a great time and enjoyed our cleanliness, friendly staff, and amenities. It's nice that you enjoyed the Village, too. That's a great area and it's amazing what they have done to that 100 year old building. It's so nice.

Thank you again for your stay and I'm glad you made it home safely.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Cherry Tree Inn has a beautiful view of the East Bay of Traverse City, with its own private "beach". The rooms are spacious and well-appointed. We visited for a "minimoon" following our Labor Day wedding and had a great experience here. The staff was above and beyond accommodating, doing anything they could to ensure we had a relaxing and romantic time.

We loved the comfortable beds, the gorgeous view, the pool/jacuzzi and snack bar, the staff, the mint/fruit water in the lobby upon arrival, and the location. The complimentary breakfast is an upgraded continental breakfast and the morning we visited had hot biscuits and sausage gravy, hard-boiled eggs, Belgian waffles with various toppings (including their famous cherries), and a wide arrangement of toasts and cereals. There's even cherry-flavored coffee. We found the rooms to be very quiet and had no problems with neighboring noise. The rooms have Starbucks coffee and tea products, and eco-friendly shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, and soap. The lake beach is clean and is a large, wide swath of clear, shallow water. We walked out the length of a football field and it never went above our knees. Not great if you want to do laps, but if you have kids or just want to cool off, its perfect. There were lots of fat, friendly ducks around as well, mostly hanging around near the Pirate Ship playset - they must know that kids play there and where there are kids, there will be dropped snacks :)

Nit-picky issues were the slow elevator (there's only one), and in the suites the bed is in the room closest to the door, with the "living room" closer to the beautiful lake view. I would have loved to wake up in the morning and look out the window from the bed to see that beautiful sunrise. The shower is hot and clean but nothing special. The decks have two white plastic chairs and a plastic table; again, nice to have but nothing remarkable. The rooms are non-smoking, though we did witness several guests smoking on the balconies.

Everything was very clean and tidy, and any question or concern with housekeeping or the room in general was addressed quickly and resolved well above our expectations.

I would recommend the Cherry Tree Inn for anyone looking for a romantic or family-friendly getaway and would gladly reserve here again in the future.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a bay-view room! The sunsets and sunrises are not to be missed.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello!

Thank you for your recent stay at the Cherry Tree and thank you for taking the time to write a kind and thorough review. I know I say it often, but I'm lucky to have a team around me who really enjoy helping and being around our guests. I'm happy you noticed.

Thank you for noticing the items we can improve on. We are planning updates to our bathrooms, starting this winter, and we have many more updates coming (I do want to upgrade our balcony furniture among other things). We do have some other suites and rooms (18 total room types) that may work better for you in the future.

Thank you for your kind recommendation. I hope you have a nice week and come visit again soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Reserved an upper floor bay view room so that we could enjoy sitting out on our private balcony for some much needed R&R. When we checked into the room it was clean and smelt clean. The living room furniture was not comfortable to relax in and watch TV for any length of time. We went out on to the balcony which had 2 cheap plastic chairs that the arms were cracked and ready to fall off. A multi family vacation below us on the ground floor took over the grounds and proceeded to feed the seagulls. Between the birds dive bombing us and feeling like we are invading someone’s family reunion we decided to stay inside. In the morning we decided to try the balcony again but more feeding of the seagulls which continued during our entire stay all day and all night. I decided to call the front desk after the first night and complain so that we could use our balcony. They told me that they could not do anything about it because they did not have a policy against feeding the wildlife. We spent two days of paying for a bay front room with a private balcony at a cost of $570 that we could not use. During the night you can also hear anyone that came down the hall because the walls are pretty thin. When we checked out the front desk asked how we enjoyed our stay and I complained again and stated that we would not be back. They apologized and reiterated that they do not have a policy against feeding wildlife. One week later I received a letter in the mail from the assistant manager stating that they found that there is a law in Traverse City against feeding the seagulls and that they apologized and offered me 25% off of my next visit. Our 2 days of much needed R&R were ruined and all I was offered after the fact was 25% off on my next stay, no thank you. If they had offered it off of the current stay or offered to do anything at all maybe we would reconsider going back but they didn’t. I will go back to Bay Shore Resort where they make sure that your stay is enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 302Anonymous302

Good Evening!

I will keep this short and to the point. We messed up and I will be contacting you to better correct this. I am terribly sorry that we didn't realize how much the inconsiderate guests hurt your stay and how much we didn't do to better control them. I assure you that we will do better, and I will be in contact with you this week. Thank you for your review and your stay. I do appreciate and, again, I'm sorry for the strife we caused.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Bay view room with a Jacuzzi. Quality breakfast. Indoor and outdoor pool. Fresh cookies all day. The beach has grown over with wetlands which is not pictured in most of their advertisements. City mandated they allow for so much of their beach to be dedicated to wetlands. Substantial patch left with waterfront beach access but not as much as shown in picture. Very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Bay view room if you are there in a warm season.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello!

Thank you for your stay and your kind review. Personally, I like short, concise reviews when I use tripadvisor, and I'm sure others will appreciate your review. Thank you for pointing out some of our main amenities. I'm sorry for any concern regarding our beach. We do clearly show the grassy area in our advertisements, including Tripadvisor. One an see the beach chairs on the left sand where our 200 feet of hard-packed sand is and to the right is the grassy area that is protected by state and federal laws. The top portion is 400 feet of nice Michigan sand.

I'm glad your found our staff friendly - we really enjoy our work. Have a wonderful rest of the summer and a great fall, too!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We upgraded our initial reservations to the lake facing rooms. The rooms were fantastic, very clean, loved the complimentary Starbucks tea and coffee :) However, in the night we had hooligans check in next door. The door was slammed at wish and we could hear every conversation in our room at around midnight. Could not sleep well, even though the bed was so comfortable. I also had trouble with the room a/c. It was showing 70F which clearly was not, and had to set it to 60F just to get it started. (Weird?) Next day we had a fantastic all included breakfast which made up for the last nights disaster. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I would have given it 4 stars had it not been for the thin walls.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Good evening!

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed everything, but I'm sorry for the noisy neighbors that disturbed your stay. I'm assuming it may have been because of an adjoining door between your room and the noisy neighbors. This is normally the only area we get noise complaints because of our 8-inch concrete walls, floors, and ceilings, so we get noted for being a quiet hotel. I am sorry for that. Please do come and visit again and simply note that you would like a room with no adjoining door. We work hard to handle all guest requests very well.

I do apologize again and I am happy that you enjoyed our breakfast so much.

Have a nice September. I hope we see you return.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My BFF and I stayed here on Mother's Day weekend for a girls weekend. it was a great stay. the room was clean except for hidden cig butts on the balcony. We reported it so we weren't charged with smoking in the room. The view was great. Staff was nice. hot tub was great. we didn't try the pool. the breakfast bar was packed but it was mother's day weekend. I brought my own cereal as I have food allergies. I only had coffee and milk from the bar. I shared a table with a cute older couple and had a lovely chat with them.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Good evening!

Thank you for your stay and your kind review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and met a nice older couple to chat with as well. That's so nice to experience on a vacation. I am sorry for the cig. butts not taken care of on your balcony. I will follow-up with my housekeeping team to ensure they are doing a better job inspecting and cleaning our rooms.

Have a nice September!