“Nice view....little overpriced for the off season” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mason, Michigan, United States
“Nice view....little overpriced for the off season”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed in a studio room for three nights in mid-November to celebrate our anniversary. It was my first time ever to Traverse City. From our balcony we had a nice view of the east bay and enjoyed unseasonably warm weather while we were there. The hotel staff were friendly, and the hotel common areas and our room were clean. Other guests have raved about the breakfast fare; we, however, were unimpressed and only ate there once out of three mornings. The hot food offering was a waffle with syrup or biscuits & gravy. My husband was really looking forward to eggs and bacon or something that was warm and nutritious, like what you would get at other hotels offering breakfast. We decided on a bagel....but the toaster did not work unless you stood there and held the lever down while it toasted. We ended up eating yogurt. I watched one woman try to toast her bagel for several minutes before giving up. There was Starbucks coffee in the room, which was nice....but the bed was hard, we ran out of hot water while filling the jacuzzi tub, and couldn't figure out what was on tv as there was no guide...paper or on the tv....outlining what shows were on when. It was rather frustrating. The hotel is toward on the far east end of the east bay, so you don't have a lot of traffic. Overall the experience was ok...but as indicated in the review title we believe it was overpriced, especially for the off season.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paula T
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Good day!

Thank you for your time in writing a review of your stay. I apologize that it wasn't what you were expecting.

In regards to our breakfast, we do offer a variety of items like the ready to make waffles (in two flavors), fresh whole and cut fruit, 4 types of juices (orange, apple, cranberry, and lemonade), coffees (all roasted locally and freshly ground each morning - we even have a cherry flavor coffee), teas (all Tazo teas - 6 plus varieties), hard-boiled eggs, coffee cake, yogurt, bagels, English muffins, and cinnamon swirl bread. We do offer a rotating additional hot item. I apologize that on the day you tried our breakfast that we offered biscuits and sausage gravy, a combination that you didn't care for. On other days, we do offer sausage and egg patties or sausage patties and breakfast potatoes. We are always working to offer as much as we can at our breakfast. With space so limited, we can only offer so much each day and that's why we rotate the hot items to offer some variety. I do appreciate your comments as we continue to improve the selections.

We have replaced the toaster. I'm terribly sorry that we had it fail during that time. We had a poor toaster experience and we now have a different brand that we anticipate won't do the same for our guests.

I am sorry that you couldn't find a guide of programs on the TV. We do have cards in the rooms under the remote controls that explain that if you would like any TV listings, our Front Desk is happy to print them off for you. Our local cable company does not offer a TV listing in their lineup (and we have the premium HD TV line-up with the full HBO listings). I apologize this was an inconvenience to you.

Finally, I am terribly sorry for the hot water issue you experienced. This is certainly not normal. We did have a pump go bad for our hot water heater and the back-up pump we had on hand was also not working much to our frustration. We did have a technician on-site but we were delayed in fixing it due to availability of another pump. I am so sorry for this inconvenience to you and I certainly want to make it right. I have been in contact with multiple other guests this affected and I'm terribly sorry I haven't been able to work with you, yet. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience by emailing me at jpack@cherrytreeinn.com, so I can make this right.

Thank you again for your review and thank you for your stay. I assure you that your comments will help us be more proactive and make guest stays better. I hope you do come and stay with us again in the future. The room you chose was one of our premium Jacuzzi studio rooms, but we do offer 18 rooms types with varying rates.

Jonathan P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Bay City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We have been coming to the Cherry Tree Inn for over 8 years.  We have stayed at other places in the past.  Some nice and some not so nice.  But I wouldn't go any where else.  The staff, especially the manager, Jonathan is very friendly, accomodating, sincere, and truly care about his staff, your guests and the hotel.
I know the struggle the hotel has to keep the beach cleared because of enviromental issues.  I love the beach, the gorgeous view, the wrap around balcony, (for our room) your welcoming lobby with the playing piano and of course the warm chocolate chop cookies as you welcome your guests ...which are comforting greeters.
For continental breakfasts, you have done a great job.  You switch some of the hot foods out for a little variety, and that is nice as well.  No one should leave hungry.
I love the homey "Cherry" theme.
Enjoy sitting in the cherry room off the lobby with your cherry tree chairs.
Also enjoy the bon fire area.  We have brought guests here who have enjoyed and loved the room and accommodation, as well.
Unfortunately, reading some of the less favorable reviews, you can't please everyone.  Sometimes people forget that things can break down or need maintenance from time to time.  Just like in your own home.  And sometimes those repairs can come at the worst time like when you have a housefull of people at the holidays.  I give Jonathan and his staff a tremendous amount of credit for how they handle their jobs, issues that arise and how they handle unhappy customers from time to time. We have been very happy with our stays. Have things come up from time to time?.  Rarely, but have been acknowledged and/or resolved.
Thank you for making our fall trips very enjoyable. We love coming here. Once again, THANK YOU!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Christina H
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Gosh! Good evening and thank you so much for your kind review. I'm so happy you have had so many comfortable stays in our homey "Cherry" hotel. We definitely appreciate your kind comments and we'll keep plugging away at our focus of 5-star service. Have a wonderful November and we'll be happy to welcome you back soon!

East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

What a great experience! We were so amazed with the wonderful service and friendly staff. Our room had the most spectacular view of the bay. It was "post-card" perfect. Clean, comfortable and soothing to the weary travelers. We look forward to coming back and highly recommend it to friends and family members.

Room Tip: The view of the lake is awesome.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Imanrse
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Good November Day!

Thank you for your stay and taking the time to review your stay. The Cherry Tree Family will be happy you enjoyed their service. I'm fortunate to have a great team around me who love to help our guests have perfect stays. I'm glad you enjoyed the great views of the bay, too!

Thank you so much and have a nice end of fall.

London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

A very clean and nice hotel, with comfortable beds and a view of the lake. Good service, a comfortable lounge area and a very good breakfast included. Good location in town and good value.
We would definitely return.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your stay at our hotel. I'm glad you found the Cherry Tree Inn to be clean and nice. Glad you liked the breakfast, our location, and the value for your stay.

Have a wonderful November and come visit again soon.

Birmingham, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We choose the cherry tree inn for our honeymoon and had the most wonderful time!! Everything was perfect and we can't wait to go back!! Any negative review for this hotel is just people looking for something to complain about because the rooms and bed were great! The living area with the fireplace and balcony was our favorite room! We never wanted to leave! The breakfast was good and they had coffee brewing at all times! Can't wait for our anniversary next year!!!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer T
Hello!

Thank you for your very kind review and congratulations on your marriage. That's just wonderful to hear.

I'm so happy that you enjoyed your time at the Cherry Tree. We'll be thrilled to have you visit for your anniversary! Have a wonderful first year. Thank you!

Auburn Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

My husband and I was recommended to try the Cherry Tree and we are glad we did. Our had a balcony on the third floor right off the beach. Very clean room and comfortable. I did not want to leave the room except to go to the beach and do some shopping. The hotel offers a lot and the staff is very helpful. We have been trying to get back to this hotel, but every weekend we have tried to make reservations has been booked. I have looked as far ahead as February and cannot get a room. We wanted to spend our anniversary up there again. I even called the hotel directly, thinking maybe there was a glitch with the website, but they said they booked up. Shame. We will keep trying since my husband wants to stay here again. We had received a great deal for our room.

Room Tip: Rooms right off the beach were wonderful. You can watch the sunset from your room.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Hello!

Thank you for your time to write a review and thank you for your patience with trying to stay at our hotel. I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay in one of our bay view rooms. We'll be happy to have you return in the future. Have a wonderful fall!

Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had a group that stayed 2 nights in late October. We were going wine tasting and the staff helped us organize that too. Cherry Tree is a great place to stay. We had bay-view rooms with 2 queen beds and a small kitchenette. The rooms were wonderful. The staff was extremely helpful and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Good afternoon!

Thank you for your review. I'm so happy you planned a wine tour and my staff was able to help you. Have a wonderful November and please do come visit again.