“Best Hotel in Traverse City ( Great Manager)”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 August 2008

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn for my son's soccer tournament in the fall and was very impressed by the service ,cleanliness, price, location and wonderful views at the hotel. The manager Jonathan and the staff were very accomadating for a boys soccer team and all of the families. I actually was very disappointed that we were unable to stay again this year at the Cherry Inn for our upcoming tournament(we waited too long to reserve). Again one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at for the price and the staff was SUPERB as was the manager Jonathan. Thank you for a great visit!

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2008

Hello!
Thank you so much for your review of our property, and I am so happy you enjoy us so much. Your comments are greatly appreciated and I do wish we had rooms for your soccer team again. I know that weekend in September has just been jam-packed with not only soccer teams but also wedding groups and leisure travelers for the Epicurean Classic! I hope we get you and your team in again next time, though. Just call me and I'll see what I can do! Thank you and I wish your team the best of luck in the tournament.

Reviewed 31 July 2008

Looking at other reviews we were excited to stay at the Cherry Tree, however that excitement faded soon after we arrived. We stayed in the "Mackinac Island" suite and other members of our party stayed in one of the "Good Harbor" suites. When we walked into our room we found that you walk into the bedroom and must go through it in order to get to the bathroom, kitchenette and living room/balcony. There were four of us staying in the room so that meant the two of us staying out on the "sleeper sofa" had to go through the bedroom in order to get out for breakfast each morning.

The bedroom was dark and hot. The only a/c for the suite is in the living room, so we had to crank it up out there and leave the bedroom door open, which made those of us sleeping on the sofa too cold and didn't cool off those in the back room. The spa tub in the room would be useful if planning a romantic evening with your partner, but there was no view from it so it was otherwise useless.

The "sleeper sofa" was really a daybed with a pull out trundle. The trundle raised up, but didn't stay together with the couch part, making for uncomfortable sleep for two people. The fabric on the sofa was so faded it looked like it had been there for 20 years (or was bought second hand).

The balcony was very nice though, good view across east bay. The beach was basically non-existent due to water levels. This can't be controlled by the hotel, but from the pictures one is led to believe there is a big sandy beach -- there isn't... unless you walk about 1/4 mile through the water down to where there is a beach.

The Good Harbor room that the other members of our party stayed in was much better... more like a regular hotel room, well lit and with a spa tub where you could sit in and kind of look out the window (it's in the back of the room).

Overall I rate the hotel as just "OK," I've been coming to the TC area all my life and lived there for a while, there are plenty of better places to stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Jpack, manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2008

Hello!
Thank you for your stay at our hotel, but I am disappointed to hear about your stay. I'm sorry that the Mackinac Island Suite didn't fit your needs quite well. It's usually a perfect room for kid because it has the trundle sofa, and most kids that stay don't care to share a queen sleeper sofa with their siblings! Also, the reason the bedroom is not on the water side is because the originial owners decided that most time enjoying the views of the water, whether on a balcony or watching TV in the living area, is spent in the living area. That's why they designed those rooms that way. In our second building, when the original owners were able to expand the property, they designed some rooms called our Leelanau Suites. These do have queen-size sleeper sofas along with bedrooms that don't have to be walked through when someone needs to go the hall door, the bathroom, or the balcony. They are very nice rooms and are generally better suited for adult couples traveling together. I'm not sure what was available at the time of your booking, so the Mackinac Island Suite may have only been available with the Good Harbor Bay Suite, but if you ever do decide to give us a second chance (I hope you do, because we would like to help you out more), you may consider asking for the Leelanau Suites.
Also, we are trying to get permits to be able to maintain our beach, but it is hard working with the government right now. We did just add 4" of new sand to the top 400 feet of beach that we are allowed to maintain. The other portion - mostly hard-packed, debris- and rock-free sand with dune grass - is still nice to most of our guests. Many appreciate that the high portion is the beautiful sandy part and the bottom portion provides a very environmentally-friendly and green area in the foreground of the teal waters of East Grand Traverse Bay.
I hope this clarrifies your concerns. If you need anything else or have anymore concerns, please call and ask for me. I will help you right away.

Reviewed 27 July 2008

We just stayed at this hotel. At first look it was nice and it is right on the water, the pictures make the beach area look much larger than it is though. The room was clean, we stayed in a 2 room suite, the only thing i would suggest is unless you like rock hard pillows bring your own! we had to go and buy pillows because they gave us such terrible head/neck aches. we even called and asked for new pillows and more came up that were the same.
also, we were told that if we wanted a later check out to call front desk and ask. so we called and they said to call the morning of. we call the morning of and were told only one room per building can have late check out! i just thought that was annoying, why didn't they say that in the first place??
small things on the bad side, most everything was nice. it was quiet and a nice view, 5 minutes from downtown.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family

Hello!
Thank you for your recent stay, and I'm glad you made it home safely. I am sorry for the problems that occurred during your stay. I will make sure to note your remarks regarding our pillows and the beach. As you may know, since it's regulated by the government, there isn't much we can do about our beach, but we did recently add 4" of new sand to the portion we are allowed to maintain. I'm not misleading you by saying that our guests have been much more pleased with it lately. The bottom half does have dune grass for the most part, but it is hard-packed sand and free from rocks and debris. The water is very nice and clean as you know (waters in Northern Michigan are almost always wonderful). As another note, I have spoken to my staff regarding the late check-outs. They are supposed let guests know that late checkouts are on a limited basis because we are 100% almost every night of the summer, but they should have made you aware that the earlier you call the better chance of getting a late checkout. Again, I'm sorry for these problems. If you have anymore questions or concerns, please call and ask for me. Thank you again and have a great summer.

Reviewed 2 July 2008

We were simply looking for an inexpensive place to stay for the wedding weekend of a friend. Rate was fabulous for summer and that's what brought us in. Found out it was being converted to a condo hotel, with fractional ownership available. Believe it or not, we ended up purchasing a 1/8th fraction of one of the nicest rooms/condos ever! Our condo still has to be remodeled, but it's going to be fantastic! No pressure sales, but for the price we're paying, we get our dream vacations year-round on the bay!

The staff is way above average, they even remembered our names after just one evening.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Love_TC
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2008

Hello!
Thank you for review of our property, and I am certainly pleased not for that fact that you are now one of our owners, but for the fact that you enjoyed our property and staff so much. We always enjoy hearing about our guests stay, so I will make sure to post your review for our staff. Thank you, again, and have a great summer. We'll see you here again!

Reviewed 25 June 2008

This is a nice place to stay, right on the water. It's a ways away from downtown Traverse City, but there's lots of restaurants nearby. The room was very large and had a microwave, fridge, and large safe. All this made the rough toilet paper and the bitter coffee in both the room and at breakfast surprising. But we would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2008

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you had a nice stay and you enjoyed the large room. I'm sorry for the coffee and toilet paper. I will note it and see if we get more comments regarding it. I'm not a big coffee drinker, so I don't have much expertise in that area! Thank you so much again, and I hope you had a safe and pleasant trip home.

Jonathan Pack

Reviewed 2 June 2008

We have always stayed up on Mission Point on our yearly trips to Traverse City, this year that didn't work out. After searching reviews we chose 2 of the Harbor Springs Suites at the Cherry Tree. The front desk staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming. The rooms were spotless and HUGE! The view was great. We were there with another couple who were equally pleased. We didn't use the pool, but it looked great. The only down side was wanting a glass of wine and there not being any glasses in the suite or available at the desk other than the 2 for $15. We really don't need anymore engraved wine glasses so we just used the coffee mugs :-). Oh well! We would definately return and will just remember to pack the glasses with our corkscrew.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2008

Hello! Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm really glad you enjoyed your room. The Harbor Springs Suite is a nice room - at least from looking at it. We don't get to stay in them although we wish we could! I'm sorry about our wine glasses policy. We don't carry a lot onsite, so we have to be very careful about them so we don't run out when future reservations come in who have ordered wine and wine glasses for their stay. We are about to order our new wine glasses, so maybe our policy will change then. Until then, we're sorry. We're glad you made it home safely, and we hope to have you again. It's getting warmer and warmer up here. 80+ degrees this weekend!

Cherry Tree Staff

Reviewed 31 May 2008

We have stayed at this hotel several times and each time has been a memorable experience. From the time you walk in the door until you check out, you are treated like family. The staff is very friendly and helpful without being intrusive.
They offer a very nice continental breakfast and have coffee available all day, along with fresh baked cookies in the afternoon.
The pool area is very clean and bright. There is a lovely glassed in porch on the second level filled with white wicker furniture which makes a nice place to escape to read, play games or just sit and look at the water in the bay.
There are brochures available for many of the area attractions and also menus from many of the restaurants in the area.
They also offer free broadband wifi for those who wish to use their computers during their stay.
The location is a short distance from downtown Traverse City which makes for less congestion. You are close to the casino, shopping, wineries, microbreweries and great dining.
We have recommended this hotel to friends and relatives and no one has been disappointed. I doubt we would ever stay anywhere else when visiting the area.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Hello! Thank you so much for your kind and helpful comments! I don't know if I've ever read a more thorough review. I'm so glad you had a nice stay and that you always enjoy our hotel. I hope you had a safe and an uneventful trip home. See you sometime later.
Cherry Tree Staff