“Great Place!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Grandville, MI
“Great Place!”
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We stayed for our honeymoon in June 08. We had a great room overlooking the water. loved the room set up, I could sleep in and my husband could make coffee in the kitchenette and watch TV or read the paper in the living room area without waking me!
Bathroom was great, absolutely loved the fact I could watch TV while in the shower! Sat in the hot tub almost every night, so relaxing. A few annoying children who were unaccompanied by any adults- which was sooo annoying- but not the fault of the hotel- just of the parents who let their kids run screaming thru the indoor pool! View was beautiful, too bad water height is receeding though, I am sure it was a nice beach area at one time, but now that the water is so low there is dune grass popping up where water once used to be. Hotel was close to downtown, just a 5-10 min drive. Nearby restaurants were great, loved the Red Mesa Grill & the Pizza place nearby too.
Overall a great place to stay!

• Liked — The View!
  • Disliked — Children without parents in the pool- again not the fault of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 4 September 2008
Hello!
Thank you so much for your posting. I'm so glad that you chose our hotel for your honeymoon - I bet you like saying, "your husband..." Congratulations to you two! That's so wonderful!
I'm also glad that you enjoyed the TV in the bathroom. That always gets a chuckle from our guests.
I hope you had a safe trip home and please let me know if you need anything else now or in the future. Happy marriage.

Jonathan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Korean first
Michigan
Reviewed 21 August 2008

I booked the room based on reviews from this very site and I have to say I was let down by this site. For the most part the reviews made it sound like this was the hotel to stay at in Traverse city. I booked this hotel for my anniversary mainly because I wanted a really nice room with a jacuzzi tub with good reviews. The beach was basically swamp land and you had to walk through cat tails or some form of weeds to get to the lake it was actually kind of disgusting. The weather was kind of cold so we thought we'd go to the pool... Well turns out the pool was disgusting and obviously in poor condition it was so cloudy you couldn't even see the bottom. For fear of some form of skin disease from the disgusting pool we passed. The bed we slept in was stiff as a board. I must admit though the room was not bad but for the price I think we would have been better off looking at another hotel. My favorite part was the chocolate chip cookies and the recommendations from the staff for dinner other then that don't book this hotel look somewhere else.

• Liked — Cookies
  • Disliked — The Pool.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 28 August 2008
Hello!
Thank you for your review and your stay at our hotel. I'm sorry, though, that we not only failed to exceed your expectations, but we also failed to meet them.
You have probably read my past responses regarding our beach, so I won't address that this time. I will address our pool. I'm sorry that you found it disgusting. We do get it inspected by the state every week and we have not failed any of these tests. Sometimes it gets cloudy from use, but it is not to the point that creates skin diseases to our guests. I have still warned our maintenance manager of your concern. There have been no signs of chemicals being incorrect or problems with guests becoming sick.
I am sorry for our beds as well. We are planning to purchase brand new pillow-top beds, but I am unaware when our owner plans to do this. We do have seven remodeled rooms and two penthouse suites that already have the new pillow-top mattresses, so if you give a second chance, you may request one of those. The new beds look wonderfully comfortable, and our guests have confirmed it, too!
I'm glad that you still enjoyed our cookies at check-in and the room in general, and I really am sorry that your stay wasn't what you expected. It really bothers me when something like this happens, so please accept my appologies that come from my heart. If you have anymore questions or concerns, please contact me. I will certainly listen.

paula48855
Reviewed 5 August 2008

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn for my son's soccer tournament in the fall and was very impressed by the service ,cleanliness, price, location and wonderful views at the hotel. The manager Jonathan and the staff were very accomadating for a boys soccer team and all of the families. I actually was very disappointed that we were unable to stay again this year at the Cherry Inn for our upcoming tournament(we waited too long to reserve). Again one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at for the price and the staff was SUPERB as was the manager Jonathan. Thank you for a great visit!

• Liked — The staff and the views
  • Disliked — everything was great!
  • Stayed September 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 August 2008
Hello!
Thank you so much for your review of our property, and I am so happy you enjoy us so much. Your comments are greatly appreciated and I do wish we had rooms for your soccer team again. I know that weekend in September has just been jam-packed with not only soccer teams but also wedding groups and leisure travelers for the Epicurean Classic! I hope we get you and your team in again next time, though. Just call me and I'll see what I can do! Thank you and I wish your team the best of luck in the tournament.
Michigan
Reviewed 31 July 2008

Looking at other reviews we were excited to stay at the Cherry Tree, however that excitement faded soon after we arrived. We stayed in the "Mackinac Island" suite and other members of our party stayed in one of the "Good Harbor" suites. When we walked into our room we found that you walk into the bedroom and must go through it in order to get to the bathroom, kitchenette and living room/balcony. There were four of us staying in the room so that meant the two of us staying out on the "sleeper sofa" had to go through the bedroom in order to get out for breakfast each morning.

The bedroom was dark and hot. The only a/c for the suite is in the living room, so we had to crank it up out there and leave the bedroom door open, which made those of us sleeping on the sofa too cold and didn't cool off those in the back room. The spa tub in the room would be useful if planning a romantic evening with your partner, but there was no view from it so it was otherwise useless.

The "sleeper sofa" was really a daybed with a pull out trundle. The trundle raised up, but didn't stay together with the couch part, making for uncomfortable sleep for two people. The fabric on the sofa was so faded it looked like it had been there for 20 years (or was bought second hand).

The balcony was very nice though, good view across east bay. The beach was basically non-existent due to water levels. This can't be controlled by the hotel, but from the pictures one is led to believe there is a big sandy beach -- there isn't... unless you walk about 1/4 mile through the water down to where there is a beach.

The Good Harbor room that the other members of our party stayed in was much better... more like a regular hotel room, well lit and with a spa tub where you could sit in and kind of look out the window (it's in the back of the room).

Overall I rate the hotel as just "OK," I've been coming to the TC area all my life and lived there for a while, there are plenty of better places to stay.

• Liked — View from balcony
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Jpack, manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 2 August 2008
Hello!
Thank you for your stay at our hotel, but I am disappointed to hear about your stay. I'm sorry that the Mackinac Island Suite didn't fit your needs quite well. It's usually a perfect room for kid because it has the trundle sofa, and most kids that stay don't care to share a queen sleeper sofa with their siblings! Also, the reason the bedroom is not on the water side is because the originial owners decided that most time enjoying the views of the water, whether on a balcony or watching TV in the living area, is spent in the living area. That's why they designed those rooms that way. In our second building, when the original owners were able to expand the property, they designed some rooms called our Leelanau Suites. These do have queen-size sleeper sofas along with bedrooms that don't have to be walked through when someone needs to go the hall door, the bathroom, or the balcony. They are very nice rooms and are generally better suited for adult couples traveling together. I'm not sure what was available at the time of your booking, so the Mackinac Island Suite may have only been available with the Good Harbor Bay Suite, but if you ever do decide to give us a second chance (I hope you do, because we would like to help you out more), you may consider asking for the Leelanau Suites.
Also, we are trying to get permits to be able to maintain our beach, but it is hard working with the government right now. We did just add 4" of new sand to the top 400 feet of beach that we are allowed to maintain. The other portion - mostly hard-packed, debris- and rock-free sand with dune grass - is still nice to most of our guests. Many appreciate that the high portion is the beautiful sandy part and the bottom portion provides a very environmentally-friendly and green area in the foreground of the teal waters of East Grand Traverse Bay.
I hope this clarrifies your concerns. If you need anything else or have anymore concerns, please call and ask for me. I will help you right away.

MI
Reviewed 27 July 2008

We just stayed at this hotel. At first look it was nice and it is right on the water, the pictures make the beach area look much larger than it is though. The room was clean, we stayed in a 2 room suite, the only thing i would suggest is unless you like rock hard pillows bring your own! we had to go and buy pillows because they gave us such terrible head/neck aches. we even called and asked for new pillows and more came up that were the same.
also, we were told that if we wanted a later check out to call front desk and ask. so we called and they said to call the morning of. we call the morning of and were told only one room per building can have late check out! i just thought that was annoying, why didn't they say that in the first place??
small things on the bad side, most everything was nice. it was quiet and a nice view, 5 minutes from downtown.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Hello!
Thank you for your recent stay, and I'm glad you made it home safely. I am sorry for the problems that occurred during your stay. I will make sure to note your remarks regarding our pillows and the beach. As you may know, since it's regulated by the government, there isn't much we can do about our beach, but we did recently add 4" of new sand to the portion we are allowed to maintain. I'm not misleading you by saying that our guests have been much more pleased with it lately. The bottom half does have dune grass for the most part, but it is hard-packed sand and free from rocks and debris. The water is very nice and clean as you know (waters in Northern Michigan are almost always wonderful). As another note, I have spoken to my staff regarding the late check-outs. They are supposed let guests know that late checkouts are on a limited basis because we are 100% almost every night of the summer, but they should have made you aware that the earlier you call the better chance of getting a late checkout. Again, I'm sorry for these problems. If you have anymore questions or concerns, please call and ask for me. Thank you again and have a great summer.

Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 2 July 2008

We were simply looking for an inexpensive place to stay for the wedding weekend of a friend. Rate was fabulous for summer and that's what brought us in. Found out it was being converted to a condo hotel, with fractional ownership available. Believe it or not, we ended up purchasing a 1/8th fraction of one of the nicest rooms/condos ever! Our condo still has to be remodeled, but it's going to be fantastic! No pressure sales, but for the price we're paying, we get our dream vacations year-round on the bay!

The staff is way above average, they even remembered our names after just one evening.

• Liked — Location, location, location (right on the West Bay!)
  • Disliked — Needs updating, but they are in the process right now.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Love_TC
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 12 July 2008
Hello!
Thank you for review of our property, and I am certainly pleased not for that fact that you are now one of our owners, but for the fact that you enjoyed our property and staff so much. We always enjoy hearing about our guests stay, so I will make sure to post your review for our staff. Thank you, again, and have a great summer. We'll see you here again!

Missouri USA
Reviewed 25 June 2008

This is a nice place to stay, right on the water. It's a ways away from downtown Traverse City, but there's lots of restaurants nearby. The room was very large and had a microwave, fridge, and large safe. All this made the rough toilet paper and the bitter coffee in both the room and at breakfast surprising. But we would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 July 2008
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you had a nice stay and you enjoyed the large room. I'm sorry for the coffee and toilet paper. I will note it and see if we get more comments regarding it. I'm not a big coffee drinker, so I don't have much expertise in that area! Thank you so much again, and I hope you had a safe and pleasant trip home.

Jonathan Pack