“Truly disappointed in the General Manager!!!”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bay City, Michigan
“Truly disappointed in the General Manager!!!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We travel for pleasure and business and make reservations at many different hotels. We decided on the Cherry Tree Inn for a family gathering in Traverse City. We have never had such a difficult time making reservations......ever!!! We were quoted a price for the rooms and when we called to add a night to one of the rooms the price was incorrect. This happens and we expected to just make a phone call and have the error corrected. Unfortunately the General Manager refused to honor the quoted price and by the time we realized this it was too late to book another hotel. When we got to the hotel the suites we were supposed to have for 3 adults were being renovated. The suites they put us in were not set up for 3 adults, but as they explained the extra beds were actually sized for children. When we asked for a discount for the inconvenience we were told this was a fair price for the rooms and they would not offer a discount by the General Manager. Unfortunately the beds were not set up for adults and we were forced to spend the night very uncomfortable.. They said someone was supposed to call to let us know the suites we reserved were not available, but that did not happen. The regular rooms were very nice, but the attitude of the General Manager ruined the experience. He needs a retraining in customer service. We will never stay there again...and this experience has really soured us on staying at independent hotels...will stick to the chains from now on.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Michelle S
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Hi Ms. S!

Thank you for the review of your stay. I'm very sorry that you were so disappointed with me and our reservation process.

Per our conversation in on April 8th, when you called on January 10th and requested ten rooms through onf of our Front Desk team members, he informed you that you would need to go through our group sales coordinator. (For ten rooms, it's best to go through our coordinator so all room types are clearly written down on a simple agreement - with no financial obligation. It’s just a guarantee that we'll hold the rooms for you up to 1 month prior to the arrival of your reservations. You refused this and decided to book 5 rooms under your name and then had your daughter book another 5 rooms in her name. This was perfectly fine and we were happy to accommodate you that way. We sent confirmations for each room to you and your daughter in January when you two made the reservations.

On April 8th, you called an spoke to another Front Desk team member and you were very upset that the room rates weren't the same. Even though you and your daughter reserved three different room types (Highlands Studios - no views of the bay, Elk Rapids Studios - views of the bay, and a Walloon Lake Suite), you expected the Highlands Studio and the Elk Rapids Studios to be the same price. You demanded that my Front Desk team member ask me if I would match the rates for the two room types, and she said she would call you right back. I discussed it with my Front Desk team member and determined that I wouldn’t match the rates because the room types were different and we had sent confirmations to you which you said you did receive in January. When my team member called you back to inform you this, you became irate and called me a coward for not calling you – though, you didn’t request I call you directly. Thus, after hearing about this from my team member, I promptly called you to discuss any confusion. At that point, you demanded I match the rate of the Elk Rapids Studios to the Highlands Studios under both you and your daughter's names. I said I wouldn't do that because we sent confirmations promptly on January 10th when you reserved, and the rooms are different (one overlooks our courtyard or roof of our indoor pool and the other - Elk Rapids Studio - overlooks the bay and is about 100 square feet larger). You then threatened to write a bad tripadvisor.com review and tell everyone you know about the experience. Prior to ending our conversation, I restated to you each room reservation to ensure everything was accurate and you confirmed it was except for the rate that you wanted. The suite you reserved was the correct one and I did clearly describe the bedding in it and also explained that the Walloon Lake Suite will not accommodate a rollaway bed in it. However, when you stayed this past weekend and very clearly told my Front Desk team member of why you were upset once again, the team member called me and I okayed to give you a complimentary rollaway bed in one of your other rooms that can accommodate a rollaway bed.

It troubles me that we couldn't resolve this to your satisfaction. We do our very best to keep clear communication with our guests and make corrections wherever needed when we didn't do the proper steps to ensure a great stay for a guest. I truly feel that we did everything in our power to make you happy - from describing a group block would be best to giving you a complimentary rollaway bed to assist your group. Unfortunately, nothing we did was right. The thing the Cherry Tree Family and I enjoy about our work is that we come across so many different people and situations each day; it's so fun and thrilling to be able to satisfy and complete each and every one. When we fail, we don't simply shrug our shoulders and curse under our breath. We reflect and think about ways we can anticipate different ways to pleasing a similar person in the future. This experience working with you will certainly help us improve and do better for another guest in the future. I hope you had safe travels home and that you do reconsider staying with us in the future. I would be happy to assist you again and make your time in Traverse City and at our hotel the very best.

For the love of hospitality,

Jonathan P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Korean first
Minot, North Dakota
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I really liked this hotel. It's right on the water, although not all rooms have a water view. Check in was smooth. The room was a 2 bedroom suite. The decor in the room is a little outdated but not bad. My biggest complaint was that in the living room area the couches aren't very comfortable. But it did have a fireplace, so that was a bonus. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Good afternoon!

Thank you for your stay and your review. I'm happy that you had a smooth check-in - that perfect after a long day of travels.

I'm sorry that you felt the room seemed dated and the couch was uncomfortable. We are always updating and improving our rooms, and we have many things planned over the next few years.

I'm happy that you'll be returning in the future. Have a nice May and we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The buy one night get the second half off is a great deal! We had a Mackinac Island Suite and traveled with someone else who had an Elk Rapids studio. Both rooms were great and the Elk Rapids studio was huge for a standard two queen room! Best part was that we made the reservations separately and asked to be close. When we got to our rooms they ended up being adjoining rooms! This is great for people traveling with little kids. Rooms were very clean. Beds were very comfortable and included full size king pillows (very rare for non- 5 star hotels)! Indoor pool area was very hell heated at the pool was very warm (probably >85F) so it felt like bath water. About the only negative I could come up with is some of the furnishings seem a little outdated (TVs in bathrooms) and that there are only shudders on the windows facing the bay. Curtains would be better as it was hard to get the room dark enough in the afternoon for our toddler's nap.

Room Tip: Elk Rapid studios are huge for a standard two queen room and one of the hotel's cheapest layouts...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Greg W
Hello!

Thank you so much for your review, and I'm glad we surprised you with the adjoining rooms to make your stay better.

I apologize that you felt the bathroom TV's were a bit dated. You should be happy that we started and are close to completion of our first eleven rooms with bathrooms that are being completely remodeled, including vanity mirrors that have a TV built into them (don't see the TV when it's off - only when it's on). We're planning to renovate all of our bathrooms within three years. We have 25 rooms that we'll have completed by the end of the year.

Thank you again and have a wonderful May!

South Bend, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We decided to take a little trip to Traverse City before all the yard work started. The area was offering specials before tourist season swings into full gear.
The Cherry Tree Inn and Suites offered 1 night/ 2nd 1/2 price for their suites with a view of the East Bay.
Our room was lovely, fresh, and roomy. We extended our stay to 4 days. Great location..Friendly staff...Nice amenities!!
Breakfast was included, and a nice variety was offered, but more options in the hot dishes would be better.
Each suite has its own little balcony to enjoy sitting outside. We truly enjoyed our stay there.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Good evening!

Thank you so much for coming to enjoy the Traverse City area and the Cherry Tree before you started all your yard work. At least it's nice to know we're at that time of year where we can do yard work again!

I'm really happy that you enjoyed your stay and all of our amenities. Thank you for your suggestion on more hot items. We do rotate them each day between sausage and egg patties, sausage patties and rosemary hash browns, and biscuits and sausage gravy. We'll lack at ways we can offer more.

Thank you again for your stay and have a wonderful spring. Good luck with your yard work!

Lake Wales, Florida
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We booked this room from Thursday to Sunday but got in very early Thursday morning. The hotel was kind enough to let us into our room early (12 pm) so that we could catch up on some much needed rest. Our room 106 was very large and opened right out into the grass. It was cold and snowy so we didn't go down to the beach. Jacuzzi and workout room were nice. Overall a great stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Good morning!

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I'm glad that we were able to help you get some much needed rest, and I'm glad you enjoyed one of our Elk Rapids Studios on the first floor - they are even better when you can walk out to the beach from them in the warmer months!

Have a wonderful rest of your April and thank you again!

Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We had wanted to stay at Cherry Tree Inn last spring but they had no openings. However when we decided to go up north for our honeymoon this rear we remembered Cherry Tree and booked a suite. It was an perfect location. My husband had added some extras like wine and flowers to be in our room when we arrived and both were excellent. I have already recommended Cherry Tree to others in the week we've been home. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Good day!

First, congrats on your new marriage. I wish you many joyous years together. Second, thank you so much for remembering our hotel and staying in one of our suites. I'm really happy that your stay was so enjoyable and you had a great honeymoon! Finally, I hope you have a great rest of the year and come visit our gorgeous area again soon.

West Branch, Michigan
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Loved our stay! The 2bdrm apt. Was excellent. The beds were so comfortable and large. Each room had its own flat screen tv. The living room was huge with another couch that had a trundle bed. One recliner chair and a table with 4 wicker chairs. The,kitchen was great. Full refrigerator, cooking area,sink, and best of all nice coffe maker with free starbucks coffee. . The hotel had coffee available all hours with the leelanu brand it was extremly good and they had cherry coffee excellent!!! The pool and hot tube were very clean at all times we stayed for 6 days and had seen a group of kids crowd the place and never once was the pool dirty or overly chlorinated... the living room also come with a PS2. You can watch movies in that or play games. They have plenty of rentals at the desk or you can walk across the street and rent from red box or family rentals. The shower and bathing products smelly wonderful and did not dry out our skin or hair. House keeping is really nice. I have to say its weird not seeing other ethnicity cleaning rooms. Being a native from California its just odd seeing only white.. kind of refreshing. The staff was great no matter what the hour was or what staff members. . The shuttle was excellent, very friendly and they have the 411 on everything traverse City. Ive stayed in a few place in traverse city and so far all around this place was worth the money !!! The breakfast is free. They have waffle makers with cherry topping, dry cereal, oat meal, fresh fruit, yogurt, Danish, sausages and some kind of eggs or biscuits and gravy, yummy, they had apple,cranberry, orange, and lemonade juice every day,and of,course the awesome coffee. We really liked this place. Family of 4. With one teenager whombwas pkeased the entire time lol. Location to down town is perfect especially with free shuttles to casnios or dinning. We drove to Boyne to go skiing 2 days much better than spending outrageous boyne lodging prices. It was only 54 miles and a beautiful drive. We ate at the blu tractor bbq, excellent food very family friendly. And you must stop at the lie shop too .. in traverse city . Will always come back to this faboulse place. Had a child with very bad allergies and asthma. Not once did she get sick. And we played a long time in the pools and on the ground all over in the rooms.. they do a great job keeping this place as clean as they can. I was very impressed keep up the good work Cherry Tree staff!!

• Stayed March 2014
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Hello!

Thank you so much for staying with us and reviewing your stay. I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay - from our large Cherry Tree Family Suite you stayed in to the kind service you received. It makes me so happy to read about things the Cherry Tree Family is doing right consistently. We certainly are always working on a variety of things to improve, but I'm glad glad when things are running well!

I hope you had a safe trip back to California and come visit again soon.