“Touring Michigan”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Just as described! We spent 2 nights at the Cherry Tree and it was a very pleasurable stay, check in was fast and simple, the rooms are well cared for with a balcony overlooking the bay and the sunsets. The bathrooms had very nice rainfall shower heads with a lot of water pressure witch I consider a big plus. They also serve a nice breakfast in the morning, the food was good and the variety of food was good also, much better then a standard continental breakfast, the only problem with breakfast is it is served in a small space so it may take a moment or two for a table if a crowd comes down all at one.
Overall great place to stay with a very reasonable rate, and would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side overlook the bay and you also have a great view of the sunsets if you get a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Good day!

Thank you for your stay and your time in reviewing it here. I'm pleased you had a good time and that you got to see a great sunset, too!

Thank you for your input on our breakfast space - we are working on plans to increase it in the future. I hope to have those done very soon.

Have a nice week and please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions. My contact information can be found on our website.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My son and I spent 2 nights here last week. The location is fantastic, right on the water with great views from our room and lovely beach. Our room was also very spacious and beds comfortable.
There were a few downsides however. I think our room had recently been renovated (and the new bathroom was FANTASTIC) however perhaps not everything had been replaced after the refurb. Although there is a kitchen, it lacked any implements to prepare food - no cutting knives or stirring implements, no sponge / dishcloth or scourer to wash up, no bottle opener etc. The other downside was lack of sound-proofing - the guests above us walked continually in their room until after 2am and then both had showers - we could hear every step. The floor boards creaked in the bedroom very loudly and in the bathroom the noise transmitted even more. They then got up at 5am and the noise started all over again.
The location and view were fantastic however.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Good day!

Thank you for your stay and your kind review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and were able to enjoy the location, the views, our beach, and your comfy suite. We did just finish some updates/remodeling to our suites and studios in our second building, including new tiling and new kitchenettes in some of the suites and studios. We do have some more fine touches to do including furniture, window coverings, and odds and ends (like the kitchen items you mentions). I do apologize for those not being perfect for your stay. They will be improved in the very near future.

I do apologize for the sound that transmitted into your room from the guest who was up much of the night. We will look at ways we can improve the sound dampening through the rooms. Thank you for that note.

Have a nice day and please come visit our lovely area again soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I’m writing this review based on my experience in early 2012, but I will say that my stay back then is the reason why we’re returning in late 2014. My husband chose this hotel for what I later found out would be our engagement weekend. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were clean and so comfortable. I could’ve slept for days in that bed! Upon our arrival, there was a bottle of Leelanau Cellars Winter White and two wine glasses waiting for us (I’m assuming husband had arranged for this). It was very welcome after driving over 3 hours to get there! Since we were there in January, we didn’t experience the beach or balcony, but the view I had through the window was lovely! As I mentioned, my husband proposed on this trip, and one day I came back to the room to find a sweet note under the ring box that said, “I believe congratulations are in order?!?!!” I had left the box sitting open and empty on the end table, and I just thought it was a friendly touch for the housekeeping staff to notice that. I’m really looking forward to celebrating our 2nd anniversary at the Cherry Tree Inn in early October and I expect that we’ll be back many times in the future as well!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello!

Thank you for your awesome story in your review. Your story is why we enjoy our jobs so much. So many people love reading about other people's lives, and when you work in a hotel, we get to help people live out a part of their lives - like a proposal. Perhaps it's part of our society's obsession with drama, but we just really enjoy making someone feel special whether they are with us for a funeral or for a wedding. Every day is a different guest and a different story. Thank you so much for your sharing yours and we'll be very happy to welcome you this fall. Please feel free to knock on my door or window if you see me in my office so you can introduce yourself.

Have a great summer until then.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I try to visit TC a couple times per year and we keep finding ourselves returning to the Cherry Tree. The location is great for not being right downtown where the most traffic is, but close enough to many things to do. The rooms are clean and staff is always very friendly and accommodating... and the breakfast served every morning is great! The rooms itself could use some updating but honestly, when you're in TC there's no need to be spending a ton of time in the rooms anyways. Stay on a Sunday night and typically receive a great rate!

Room Tip: We've previously stayed in a suite that had a kitchenette, whirlpool tub, fireplace and balcony...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Good evening!

Thank you so much for you stay earlier this month. I'm happy you had a nice time and enjoyed our location. It is nice to have a convenient location for our wonderful area, but we're not in an area that is absolutely bombarded by traffic (though, we still get plenty).

We are continuing to make many improvements to the hotel each year. We just finished remodeling our second building with new bathrooms and we have a few more things this year.

Thank you again. Have a great summer and come visit again soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We spent 3 nights at Cherry Tree. Staff was helpful and pleasant. All areas were clean. Loved the pool, beach, campfires and updated room. Beautiful view and good location just as you enter the city. There are a few things within their control that could make the stay better. More furniture on balcony, especially a side table, new couch as the pillows collapse into the frame when sitting, and fresher smelling linens. A few flowers in a vase might brighten the heavy colors of the suite. Breakfast was typical. A bit overpriced for early June, but overall enjoyed the visit.

Room Tip: Always road noise at most TC locations. Worth it to be on bay side.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jchboss
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Good afternoon!

Thank you for you for your stay and your kind review. I'm really happy that you enjoyed our clean hotel and the many amenities we offer. Thank you for your insight on the balcony furniture, the couch, and the linens. We actually do have side tables, so I will track and make sure that table is on the balcony. In regards to the couch, the suite you stayed in is one that we are putting in new furniture later this year. The new furniture, including valances, will help brighten the room's rich colors.

In regards to our rates, we always work to be competitive with other hotels in the area. The suite you stayed in was a 1,000 square foot suite with an expanded kitchenette (granite countertops, place settings for 4, ceramic cook top, stainless steel fridge), two person Jacuzzi, sofa, fireplace, king sleigh bed, and huge wraparound balcony overlooking the bay. It was also just renovated to include two sinks in the bathroom, quartz countertops, new tile shower, and glass features. In July, we expect our electric TV mirrors to arrive for our bathrooms (TV shows through mirror and then vanishes when off). That suite coupled with our amenities like Fiber Internet access, HD TV's with HD TV programming including a full HBO line-up, breakfast, shuttle service, Starbucks coffee in the rooms, high-end locally roasted and freshly ground coffee in our lobby, indoor and outdoor pools and spas, 24-hour Sweet Shoppe, Poolside Grille, and more make for a lot of amenities that aren't found at any other hotel in the area. We're proud to bring great value for our guests. Our rates are generally equal or less than many of the hotels in town with similar rooms types (but they don't have amenities we do). I will, however, always continue to make sure our rates are comparable to the area and that we don't simply give a rate without value. We always like providing something (cookies at the desk for check-in, cherries at the desk during July, Pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving, etc.). We love our guest and want to make sure they feel pampered when staying at our hotel.

Thank you again for your stay and have a wonderful rest of summer!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Very much enjoyed our stay at the Cherry Tree Inn & Suites. We rented a very spacious and comfortable room that looked over the bay. The views were incredible. Could not get enough of standing on the balcony and watching the sunset.

The hotel is very clean. The pool area is in good condition and very welcoming. The bath products are upscale.

If I have one complaint it is that the furniture in the room is a bit dated. But really, for the price paid to have that large a room with a great view, an excellent rating is earned.

Thank You Cherry Tree, enjoyed the stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JAY E

Good afternoon!

Thank you so much for your stay and your kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay so much - from the cleanliness to the bath products (we love provided the BeeKind amenities!). I hope you had a safe trip home. Also, we are working through and updating many of our rooms over the next few years. We have about 15 rooms scheduled for new furniture this year. We're excited to keep improving the quality of the hotel for our guests.

Have a great day and please feel free to join us in Traverse City again soon!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Hotel is very nice for a non-chain hotel. Hotel is very clean and well appointed with great amenities. Room with view of Grande Traverse Bay was wonderful. Room was very large and had a balcony with a great view of the bay. Beach was clean and private, breakfast was nice, many stores and restaurants within five miles. Rooms are a bit overpriced, but a great stay overall. Beds were comfortable, bed sheets and pillow cases starting to thin out however. Would give this property an 8 out of 10. Nice, clean, comfortable, and family friendly. Would use this property again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 4JohnnyD
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Good afternoon!

Thank you so much for your stay and for the review of our hotel. I'm glad that you found us to be convenient to area restaurants and that you enjoyed the views and our private beach. We're very fortunate to have this hotel to look after and we love our guests enjoying it with us!

I do apologize for the sheets feeling thin. That shouldn't have occurred, and I will check with my laundry and housekeeping teams on proper rotation of older linen in our rotations. We purchase new linen every month and donate our older linen to local charities.

Have a wonderful day and please come visit again soon.