“So far so good!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“So far so good!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

As I am writing this, I have nothing but positive things to say about this place. Great place, great location! Not necessarily by downtown but close enough to everything. Rooms appear to be well kept and clean. Amenities are very reasonable with both an indoor and outdoor pool. They do have a game room and fitness room but its small. There is a bike/running trail across the street which is a plus. Another plus is that they have a boat rental booth on their property which you can rent kayaks, paddle boards, pontoon boats etc. Also, the lake water seems to stay real shallow for quite a distance before you hit the deep end which is good to know if you have little kids. I have a balcony facing the bay and its a nice view! Small private beach is also very nice. It's not a budget hotel but you get what you pay for right? Will be here for a few more days and I expect to be pleased with the rest of my stay here. I have already been recommending this place to family and friends!!

Room Tip: Balcony room with view of bay is very nice
Green Features: They do their share in trying to limit water waste and using recyclable products
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Boytribe
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Hello!

I love your review that you're writing during your stay. I'm happy that you're enjoying it so far and I hope you continue to find other great hings to your liking. Please feel free to stop down and knock on my door and say "Hi" in the morning - or just make a funny face at me through my window. I'll enjoy either one!

Thank you!

Jonathan P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We just returned from a four day stay at this hotel. The rooms were awesome, but the service was incredible. A special shout out to Matthew, who was working the concession stand at the pool. I was on the trip with four broken ribs, and he was very helpful to myself and my family during our stay. All the staff was very helpful. Location is great! Highly recommend and will definitely be back! Thank you!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Smith08121024
Good day!

Thank you so much for your stay and your kind comments about our service, especially Matthew. It was also very nice that you pulled me aside to tell me how great he was during your stay. While I was sad to hear that you had experienced four broken ribs from a previous accident, I'm really happy that he was attentive to you and made you feel special - I have shared that with other team members so they are on the prowl to make other guests feel special.

Thank you so much and we'll be happy to welcome you back!

Grayslake
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Very nice and clean hotel not far from downtown Traverse City. Our room had a balcony and beautiful view of the water. The grounds are well maintained, enjoyed the nightly fire pit. The beach is small and very wet/muddy in spots and not great for swimming. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good. Kind of pricey when we were there, but it was during the Cherry Festival, so I think everyone hiked up their prices. We enjoyed the 2 room suite and the kids found the trundle bed pretty comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank K W
Thank you so much for your stay and your kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed your suite and our amenities. I'm sorry that July was wet and cool for us, which caused some water build-up on our beach. Though, the lake frontage is certainly very clean and swim-able, it's also shallow, so taller guests do walk out further to get in deeper for more comfortable swimming. I'm sorry that you felt our prices were pricey for that time. We'll continue to monitor demand and our area and make sure we are providing something of value for our guests instead of just a room. For instance, on July 4th, we gave a free cherry pie to all of our rooms. We also provided fresh sweet cherries along with chocolate chip cookies on our desk during most of the month of July. Those are little things in addition to make great other amenities we provide our guests to make their stays more enjoyable.

Thank you again for your review. Have a wonderful August!

Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn (July/August 2014) and we had an amazing vacation! I will first tell you all the great things about the Inn. This was a family vacation for us (3 kids 1, 3 & 5) and we loved that it was right on the beach and had access to an indoor and outdoor pool. The kids LOVED swimming in the pools, as Lake Michigan was quite chilly. They also loved that there was a pirate ship playset right on the beach. They played on that every single night we were there. I was also impressed with the continental breakfast that was offered. It was hot, delicious and the staff was very pleasant and quick to fill empty things. The room itself was a little warm, but even though it was always full we could usually find a table for us. My kids loved the infused water table as well, although we had cucumber water twice in a row and they were disappointed it wasn't something new :). The housekeeping was amazing, and even though I told our housekeeper we only needed new towels and the sand vacumed up, when we got back she had cleaned everything and left a note saying she hoped we didn't mind but she cleaned because otherwise it would look like she didn't do anything! I think her name was Mae. Another housekeeper we had also left me 2 dish towels and a bottle of dish soap because she noticed I had kids plates etc. that I was washing. We loved that we could understand the front desk and service personel as well and they were friendly and helpful. It was also great that they had bonfire pits on the beach. We also loved that the suites were in a separate building. The rooms were also very clean, although we did notice the suite lobby had a pile of sand and full garbage in it for 2 days.
There were some things that were disappointing though. We stayed in the Leelanau Suite (126 I think) and when we arrived we were told it was updated 4 weeks ago. We were pleased but when we got to our room we noticed several things that led us to believe the quality wasn't there for the price charged for the room. First, there was a plastic bag thing over the smoke detector. Not sure for what reason. Second, the crown molding has gaps in it that are filled with caulk or whatever but looks very poorly done. Also, there was drywall and/or paint that was all over the quartz countertop backsplash and the new tile floor. Some of the tiles in the hallway were not even as well. There was also a hole with a speaker or something sticking through next to the mirror in the bathroom. The finishes were quite nice, but there was a double sink in the bathroom and only one outdated mirror. We were hoping for a TV in there :) or at least 2 mirrors. Also, the pictures of the suite were not updated on the website and we thought the jacuzzi was open to the bedroom but when we got there it has been glassed in (not a huge issue). The walk in shower was amazing! The suite was also advertised as having a wrap around balcony or patio. We did have one, however it doesn't mention that it is RIGHT next to the outdoor pool! There is NO privacy! We loved that we could walk right out onto the beach but were not pleased that there wasn't a fence or tall landscaping etc. that blocked the view of the pool from our room and others looking in. We had lots of windows, but couldn't even open the bedroom window because it looked right into the pool. So we paid for a wrap around patio and couldn't fully use it. The path to the pool walks right in front of the patio so there is NO privacy. My kids also loved the put put "course" but when they went to use it, it is so uneven and lumpy that you couldn't even get the ball into the hole. If you advertise it on your website as an amenity, it should be usable! Some of the flags wouldn't stay in the holes either. It was a bummer. We also HATED the insane traffic on the road in front of the inn. However, there is nothing to be done about that. Also worth noting is the fact that the beaches do not connect in one long strand, so you can't go for a walk on the beach. The beach itself was very wet and half of it was unusable and just mud. There were also not enough luggage carts and when we asked the front desk, they said we had to search on other floors to find one. 5 people don't travel light and we couldn't find one, so we had to do many trips! Lastly, you can use a bonfire pit but you have to get your own wood, matches and paper. Guests should know this because most of us don't travel with these things. Also, we wanted to stay one more night and called the front desk but the new rate was $100 more than our rate. They did let us stay one more night with our current rate, but I was wondering if they added 100 more per night in the future for updates to the room that are subpar? One more thing that would have been nice too, is if there was a way to get the sand off before going into the room. I saw a foot rinser at the other building but not by the suites. Sand toys for kids to use while there would also have been convient so we didn't have to haul ours.

Room Tip: Ground level suites have no privacy but great beach access. Balconies or patios are a must for the b...
Green Features: They have alot of environmentally friendly practices!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Good day!

Thank you for your stay and your review. I'm glad you found many things that you and your family loved about your hotel. Thank you for your suggestions on things to make stays better. I'm sorry that the location of your Leelanau Suite was not something that worked well for your family. While some families love the accessibility to our outdoor pool, I can certainly understand where this may not work for other families. For future reservations, we can definitely note your profile that you don't care for that first floor Leelanau Suite and that you would prefer an upper floor one. We always take requests and do our absolute best to fulfill them each time a guest stays with us - from some of our weekly guests who only like decaf coffee to our semi annual guests who like an extra pillow or no pillows at all. We are willing to do almost anything (the "almost" in there to note that we avoid and don't do anything illegal! :) ) to make our guests' stays better. If you'd like to email me directly at jpack@cherrytreeinn.com and share your name, I can note your profile for the future.

I am sorry for the putt-putt holes that we have on site. We are considering options with the holes to either improve or replace. This is noted for our ownership group and I hope to make this amenity better in the near future.

Next year's road construction of US-31 will be addressing some traffic flow patterns that we hope will slow traffic a bit. While we are lucky to have a stop light in front of our hotel to give our guests a pause affect for the traffic, we are also working with the Michigan Department of Transportation on ways they can improve the traffic flow from medians to lower speed limits.

We are affected by HEAVY federal and state restrictions on the lower part of our beach. While our top portion is all sand and 400 feet wide, our lower portion is split into two sections: 1) a natural grass area and 2) a hard-packed sand area that is a bit more wet this year than normal since it's been a wet summer for us with little hot weather. We do groom everything daily. We would love to have sugar sand all the way to the water's edge on all 400 feet of water frontage we own, but we are not allowed to put any sand or move anything deeper than 4 inches in the area that is the natural grasses and hard-packed sand. We will continue to work with the federal and state governments to reduce or remove these restrictions. For now, we're proud to offer a lot of space and still very usable water front that includes boat rentals, safe water access for families, beach playground, and fire pits. And I'm sorry that we don't provide the fire pits free of charge. I will work on ways we can make matches available. But we do offer wood for sale at our front desk and we always provide newspapers from our recycle piles whenever needed.

In regards to the rate, our rates do fluctuate with demand. The price was not based simply on improvements, although they did have an affect. When comparing to other hotels in the area, there are very few if any that offer the bathroom features (full tile showers with wonderful seats and glass features, double sinks, and luxury soaps and shampoos) and the size of the room in addition to the amenities that we provide free of additional charges at the same rate as we offer. Most 1,000 square foot suites in the area in the summer can be $100 to $300 more per night than our rates. We feel we offer great value for our rooms, and I will work harder on presenting that better. I will also definitely be going back over our renovations to get the finishing polishes down (we finished them in June and we have been so swamped and didn't want to affect our guests' stays, so we decided to do final touches during slower periods of time. The final touches include more polishing and fine-tooth combing of the suites we remodeled to ensure they are perfect moving forward. We are also installing our TV mirrors in the bathrooms, replacing furniture, and a few more items).

Thank you again for your kind review and your stay. I hope you have a great August, and do come visit again. I'd be happy to better accommodate you in a room location that would work better for you.

North Royalton, Ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Most of our stay at the Cherry Tree Inn was great! Our room was clean and we enjoyed having a refrigerator, microwave and sink for snacks. drinks, etc. The property has a small beach with chairs and a couple of fire pits, an on site water sports equipment rental, indoor and outdoor pools, and a fantastic complimentary brunch that includes cherry coffee and warm cherry topping for make-your-own waffles!
The negatives: We thought our bed pillows were past needing replacement and sometimes finding a parking spot was tricky; we also wished we were staying closer to downtown Traverse City and the Leelanau and Mission peninsulas because at certain times traffic was heavy and slow.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy A
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Hi!

Thank you so much for your review and your recent stay. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay so much. I do apologize for the bed pillows (we are formulating our plan of replacing them in the very near future - we have a couple bids and just need to make some final decisions). And I'm sorry for the traffic in the area - at times, it can be heavy. Our location also provides great access to not only downtown Traverse City 4.5 miles away but also to Elk Rapids (14.7 miles north) and Charlevoix (45 miles north).

I hope you had an uneventful trip home. Thank you again!

Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here only a short while during our visit to tc but wished we could have stayed here the whole time. It is a popular slot with great off season deals. Always seem to be updating something. The only draw backs are its distance from downtown and a tight parking lot. Still, the room was amazing and the was a nice continental breakfast.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Brad H
Thank you for your kind review! I'm happy you enjoyed your stay so much and that you notice how we continue to improve the property throughout the year (more renovations coming this fall). I hope you have a nice rest of summer and come visit again soon.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I'm writing this from our room at the sugar beach resort. We stayed at Cherry Tree two years ago, and we are wishing we were there now. Unfortunately, there was nothing available this weekend, as we booked a little last minute.

When we were at Cherry Tree, there was a minor housekeeping issue (pistachio shells and cookie crumbs under the bed and table). After resolving the issue, the front desk staff delivered a beautiful basket of cherries, coffee, bottled waters, etc. I posted a review on yelp, and was contacted by phone a few days later by the general manager. This is truly exceptional customer service! I've been reading through the reviews on this site, and noticed personal replies from general manager Jonathan P to virtually all of them, good or bad!

I went to the desk at Sugar Brach this morning to voice my concern about the very flimsy railing on our second floor balcony, and the night manager put up his hands and shrugged his shoulders in that "I don't know" gesture. This would not happen at Cherry Tree. I'll be posting a review of Sugar Beach, and I'm certain there will be no personal response from management.

We'll be at Cherry Tree next time we're in town in October. We can't wait to see the renovations.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank johntoe
Good evening!

While I'm sorry that you didn't have a great experience at your hotel this time around in Traverse City, thank you so much for your kind review of your last stay with us. It is important to me to respond to all reviews - good or bad. I was taught from a young age of the old adage - mind your p's and q's. The Cherry Tree Family and I try to keep that close to our hearts each day.

I hope you have a great rest of your summer and come visit again soon.