“Lovely East Bay View”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We had the Elk Rapids Suite which was a comfortable room with elbow space. I was glad I had brought along my own pillow because those provided were awful. Had a lovely view off our little balcony of the bay and small beach area. Hotel is run very well and staff were always friendly and helpful. Place is well maintained and clean. This hotel is not very close to the center of town (shopping and tourist stuff) so be prepared to travel back and forth. You cannot do this by foot. This hotel is actually on the East Grand Traverse Bay. It has most everything you need to be comfortable. Towels could be upgraded to better quality but then people would probably "borrow them" more often! Breakfast was a good variety for my husband and fresh fruit was available and baked cookies once too. Hotel is only 10 minute drive to the Turtle Creek Casino. We did a Tall ship sunset cruise which was nice although there wasn't any wind during our sail! There's a farmers market right next door to visitor's center which had a nice variety of goods offered by local vendors.(check dates) We enjoyed our stay and would do it again gladly. Traverse City is a beautiful place to visit. Would like to visit in fall next time. PS-loved the cherries on the chairs, carpets........had to take a picture of them!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IndianaJacquelyn
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2009

Thank you for your review - I'm so glad you had a good time and it looks like you got in some nice activities. We just redid our pillows to a fluffier, more plump pillow, and we do provide down pillows upon request. But I know some, like me, regardless of pillows in the room have to have their own pillow to sleep on! It makes a trip a little like home. :) I will be sure to note your towel suggestion. I believe we're in the process of switching them over to bigger towels, so I'll look into your suggestion as well.
The farmers' market is great. Held on Wednesdays and Saturdays in summer, it's a great place to get fresh produce and neat crafts. My wife and I like their flowers, too! We have another farmers' market where the old train station used to be. They have a wonderful selection and it keeps growing.
Thank you again for your stay and your review. Have a wonderful summer and we look forward to you visiting in the future!

Reviewed 17 June 2009

My wife and I drove into Traverse City without reservations. The Cherry Tree Suites was our first and last stop. Conveniently located on the East Bay, this quaint hotel paid strict attention to detail with small niceties I noticed immediatly. A baby grand piano in a small room off the lobby set the tone. I liked the luggage carts located in the entrance. They made check in much easier. The living room style common area was excellent,featuring a fire place, computer stations, videos and a library,not to mention board games for the kids. Everything was well thought out. We had a fourth floor corner suite with beautiful sunset views of the East Bay. The room was over sized, well appointed and clean. My hats are off to the Cherry Tree Suites. The right hotel at the right time for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank mitch_grant
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2009

Thank you for your kind and great review of our hotel. We work hard to get details down and we work hard to sweat the small stuff. That's what makes a difference in Traverse City. I'm glad you enjoyed the suite and I'm sure you enjoyed the weather. Come visit again - we'd be happy to help you more!

Reviewed 17 June 2009

My mom and I stayed in a suite with a king size bed (for her) and a foldout couch (for me). The rooms were spacious and very nice. The staff was nice. The view from our balcony was amazing. We looked down on a pretty little slice of sandy beach and a family of swans. The bed was comfortable. The sofa bed was very uncomfortable and I had to ask for a new blanket because the one on it was ripped and stained (nasty). But overall, we were happy with the suite. The included breakfast was an expanded continental style, self-serve with warm sausage, eggs and make-your-own waffle machine.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2009

Hello! Thank you for your review. The views are fantastic, so I'm glad you enjoyed yours. I'm glad the king bed was comfortable, but the sofa bed was uncomfortable. Being that they are trundle sofas, we generally suggest them for children under 16. Glad you enjoyed the staff and the breakfast as well. Hope you had a safe trip home. It's finally nice and warm up here! Come visit again soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2009

Stayed two nights in early June (weeknights). Great rates, for a lovely, clean, friendly hotel. Stayed in Elk Rapids Suite, which overlooked the Bay. Nice large balcony, two chairs. Room has plenty of room to move about, beds were comfortable, however, they must replace those pillows!! Everything very clean, and worked well-lights, frig, plugs, shower pressure, etc. Decent continental breakfast, good coffee. The decor in our room was very nice, as well as the common areas of the hotel. Quiet. The beach has a lot of reeds in the area, but there is sand, which is clean and can be played in. Odd access to the water, which they seem to have created so you can enjoy swimming or sunning, but due to low water levels for several years, I commend them on what they have been able to accomplish. Desk staff helpful, professional and friendly. I give it a 5!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank tymetraveler222
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Glad to see that you enjoyed your stay, and, don't worry, we ordered 100 new pillows just this month! Sorry for the delay, but we're taking care of that. I saw that you enjoyed Stella's for lunch. That is a good place. You may also like Amical - next to the State Theater. It's one of my wife's and my favorite restaurants - nice atmosphere, good food, great location. (But to warn you, we have a lot of "favorite" restaurants.) Thank you again for your review. Have a wonderful end of your spring.

Reviewed 9 June 2009

We wanted to plan a weekend to get away from home and found Cherry Tree Inn and Suites to be the perfect getaway! From the moment we walked in the door, we were greeted with very kind and helpful staff. They were helpful with giving directions to shopping, attractions and different places of interest. It was so close to everything needed: convenience stores, grocery stores, shopping, dining, and especially the beautiful wineries! :) It was also very close the the great bike trails, which are great for those of you who like to bicycle! The room was beautiful (and clean!) with a little kitchenette, fireplace and jacuzzi tub. Best of all, was the beautiful view of the Traverse Bay from the beach front balcony! Complementary breakfast was amazing, and left us full until the afternoon! We will definately be choosing to come back for return visits to the area!

PS. It is also great for families with children, there is a nice indoor pool and a play area behind the hotel on the beach!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. It's great that you enjoyed everything and thanks for the mention of the bicycle trail known as the TART (Traverse Area Recreational Trail). It's a great trail for biking, running, walking, skipping, roller blading, skating, crawling, hopping,... well, anything! :) I think it goes for a total of 30 miles - 27 to Suttons Bay and 3 up to Bunker Hill Road in Acme. Hope you had a safe drive home. We look forward to having you as a guest again.

Reviewed 8 June 2009

We came up for some R & R and really found a great place to stay. The Inn is easy to find, especially if you're coming from US 131 via M72 through Acme. Beautiful views of the East Bay from our room, which was clean and comfortable with a small room frige and a microwave. The microwave was a bit noisy, but it was clean inside and ready to use. The bathroom was roomy, with the sink outside the bath. We stayed in one of the rooms they call "Elk Rapids" and it was just right for the two of us. They have rooms/suites that can sleep larger numbers of people.
The staff was more than friendly, our check in on Wednesday was very efficient and courteous. The front desk person, Jennifer, was very helpful, even mapping out the route to a dinner spot for us. The entire staff was very friendly and upbeat to deal with. The complimentary breakfast was generous with options for light or heavy eaters. The sausage gravy wasn't so hot, but the eggs over easy were good, though not on the buffet each day. On Saturday, the breakfast buffet was very busy, so you might want to try eating in the sunroom opposite the front desk.
The hotel is convenient to most things you might want to do, and far enough out of the way to avoid the heavier traffic. They are into recycling, which we liked, and it was not an inconvenience to drop off our papers and stuff for them to care for.
There's a Walgreens across the street and a Tom's market not far if you want to get some things for your room. Tom's is pricey, and there's a Meijer out on US31/37 South near the Mall area.
The indoor Pool and spa area were clean and inviting. It's obvious they take great pride in the facility and their hospitality was great. Mid week stays in Northern Michigan can be very cost effective, and we'd definitely do it that way again, since things are less congested in the summer and fall then. Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Hello! Thank you so much for your review and all your kind comments. I'm glad you enjoyed everything and thanks for helping future guests with places to get groceries and where our hotel is located. Your review was very helpful, so thank you! (Not that other reviews aren't helpful - you just provided another point of view that was good, too!) I hope you had a safe trip home and are enjoying a good June. It's now getting warm up here, so we're swamped and happy to be closer to summer! Thank you again.

Reviewed 4 June 2009

My girlfriend and I were in Traverse City not to long ago and decided that we were going to stay there based on the reviews and certain people telling us about the staff and accommodations. This trip had been planned for a few months but little did my girlfriend know that I was going to propose that weekend. I contacted the hotel before hand and spoke to Kara to let her know of my plans and as soon as they knew they were totally on board with helping me out. The entire staff knew about it, from the front desk to all other areas of hotel staff were aware of what I had planned. They made recommendations for certain things like where to order flowers and food from, what room would be best suited ( thank you Kara ) for this type of situation and other little touches that made the weekend unforgettable. It was an incredible weekend and the staff and hotel were first class. I want to thank Jonathon, Kara and EVERYONE from the hotel, it would not have been possible without your help. If you stay anywhere in Traverse City make it the Cherry Tree Inn, you won't regret it!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2009

Hi Air_11!
Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy we could assist in your proposal. Your fiance was radiant throughout the trip and the ring was beautiful. We're glad we could help with everything that you needed, and we wish you great, stress-free planning for your upcoming marriage! Please let us know when you want to come and join us again. Have a wonderful summer.