“Just re-booked”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 July 2009

We stayed here in May for a quick get-a-way from the city. The rates were unbelievable for the location and the weather was perfect for the time of year. The staff was 5 star quality. I am in my early 30's but was referred to as Mr. ______ when arriving and leaving the hotel property. The breakfast bar was better than expected with it being complimentary. I really enjoyed the "make your own waffle station and fresh pastries. Our focus while being in Traverse City was the wine tours, and shopping downtown so this hotel was perfectly located within a short distance to everything.

I can't speak about the beach because it was the middle of May and the water was probably 50 degrees.

My only complaint was that the beds in the standard rooms were not comfortable. I didn't lose sleep or wake up with a sore back but I was glad to return to my bed.

With all that said, I just re-booked for our anniversary. I chose a King suite with a 2 person jacuzzi, gas fireplace, kitchenette and a balcony overlooking the bay. I am expecting the weekend to be perfect and I am confident the staff will accomodate us accordingly. We aren't going until October (great time because of the fall colors) but I will definitely write about my experience!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mxair23
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2009

Thank you for your review and we're excited for your return visit. I'm glad you noticed the use of your name and you enjoyed the breakfast. I love make-you-own waffles, too! You know they're fresh!
We're always happy to help our guests and glad to see familiar faces. We look forward to your stay in October, and I hope the colors are great for you.

Jonathan P.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,440)

Reviewed 9 July 2009

Let's just say, the publicity for this place is quite deceiving. When my family arrived, ready to relax and enjoy a beautiful beach resort, we were surprised by how much our hotel looked like a nursing home or an assisted living facility. We're not mocking these kind of places, but if you think you're going to a resort and it looks like a nursing home... wouldn't you be disappointed? Here are several of the reasons why we did not enjoy our stay:
-the decor is very elderly like, with a touch of doylies serving as curtains, blue paint on the walls and blue carpeting throughout
-there are small lounges located all throughout the hotel which mirror a bingo lounge/activity room for older folks
-the beach... there is none. Where is it? Maybe under the weeds? Perhaps under the muddy sand?
-not enough parking spots or lighting around the parking area.
-breakfast was disappointing. Hooray for complimentary, but not too excited on how oily the food made our stomachs.
-the bathroom in our room (although we hear there are rooms that have been renovated) had guard rails, a pull-down accessibility chair built into the tub and the shower was just a hand-held shower head, probably again for accessibility
-the front door to our room had an eye hole at wheelchair height...aren't all the characteristics a little strange?

Now if this was supposed to be a handicap accessible room, nowhere was it noted inside that it was a designated disability room

The positives:
-the staff is really friendly
-the wi-fi works
-the location is in beautiful Traverse City
-very clean facility

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2009

Dear scotland201:
Thank you for your stay and the review of our hotel. I'm sorry that your stay was so dissatisfying to you. I believe you had one of our handicap accessible rooms. These rooms - required by the Americans with Disability Act - have grab bars in the bathroom area along with wider corridors, lower peep holes in the doors, and lower closet rods. We always accommodate those with disabilities into these rooms, but if we have guests that don't need the handicap-accessible rooms, then we randomly select rooms for reservations unless a guest requests otherwise. If we had known that you or anyone did not prefer a handicap-accessible room, we would definitely accommodate your request or warn you ahead of time if we couldn't. We work daily to make sure guests are getting into the rooms they requested. If you tell our Front Desk staff of an issue like this, we will note your profile so you are not placed in such rooms for future reservations.
I'm sorry you felt the areas that our guests relax in resembled bingo lounges. Our guests really enjoy our breakfast room, sun room, and breezeway. These rooms are continuously mentioned on comment cards turned into us and reviews throughout a variety of websites like Expedia.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz.com, and this website. I'm sorry they didn't meet your likings, and I'll mention that to our owner to see if there is anything we can do to accommodate your tastes as well.
Regarding our beach, we do have a 400 foot wide and 50-75 foot long portion of pure sugar sand beach with lounge chairs all along that. The portion closest to the water's edge is a natural area. We just received our permit on June 25th to groom half of that, but it's a lengthy process to work with the federal agencies to make that portion beautifully sandy again. We are working on resolutions to this to please all of our guests. Most of the beach area is still great for relaxing and playing. Plus, the water is always clean and great for swimming - especially for children. We will have new professional photographs posted on websites soon, and we're very sorry for the inaccurate photos that were still floating around on some websites.
The parking lot does have parking for guests and employees when we are 100% full. I'm sorry if you couldn't find a parking spot. If anything like that occurs, we usually contact guests or employees if they have parked incorrectly or employees will move their cars elsewhere to accommodate guests. I hope you let my desk staff members know so we could help you. Our guests, by far, are first.
Finally, with breakfast, we have a large variety of items like raison bread, English muffins, hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruits, hot and cold cereals, coffee, juices (3 varieties), apple crumb cake, ready-to-make waffles, and either sausage and egg patties or biscuits and sausage gravy. We strive to meet everyone's tastes, so I will be sure to let our owner know that you thought your food was oily.
I'm glad that you found our staff friendly, our facilities clean, and our views beautiful. We will work to correct the issues you mentioned. With close to 20,000 guests annually, it's important that not one is dissatisfied with their stay. Thank you again for your review.
Jonathan Pack
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 7 July 2009

My family went to Traverse City to stay at the Cherry Tree Inn & Suites. We had a wonderful time, but there were a few things that really stood out to us, which we thought we should share. First of all, the staff was great. Natalya, who checked us in, was an extremely beautiful girl with an equally beautiful personality. She did anything we requested of her without any complaints, including giving us the spelling of her name several times and multiple maps of the area. We stayed for multiple nights and noticed she had been in every department and never seemed to miss a beat. The hotel was extremely inviting and gave you a relaxed “feels like home” feeling. Definitely not how you would feel walking in to a chain hotel. The lobby is calm and kept very clean, which we noticed Natalya cleaning several times throughout the night. I only had one problem with the hotel, which was that Jonathan was very pushy. He seemed to talk over his employees and treat them with an attitude. It put a sour edge on the getaway because the staff was so friendly and he seemed to disrespect them openly in front of guests. A guest had a complaint about the beach and he wouldn’t come to the desk and deal with it. He sat in a back room and let the employee take the verbal abuse, which doesn’t seem right considering how many times he told us he was a manager. Hopefully it was only a bad week. However, I would still recommend Cherry Tree Inn & Suites to my dearest friend and all of my family.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We were very much looking forward to staying here, the online photos and reviews were very positive. When we arrived, we noticed the beach area looked different from the photos. Upon closer look, there was no beach at all, just a swampy area that was being groomed when we got there. Mud with weeds. No sand to play on. A few chairs at the water's edge. Not exactly what we'd expected. We were given a full refund of our deposit. The staff was apologetic and understanding. Too bad, because it looked like a nice place to stay if you don't care about playing in the water. With small kids, it was a deal-breaker for us.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank michiganmom73

Hi michiganmom73!
Thank you for your review, and I'm sorry for the beach. We just received our permit on June 25th to groom the marshy portion you are referrring to, and we are working to make it as nice for our guests as possible, but it's a lengthy process. However, the top 400 foot wide and 50-75 foot long is all pure sugar sand and we have a line of about 40 lounge chairs along there as well. It's a great area for kids - even at the waters edge - because the beach is sandy and great for games and the water is shallow and parents don't have to worry about drop-offs in the water. Plus, we have a great playground for kids right on a portion of our large sandy area. We will have new professional pictures of our beach shortly so we don't mislead people. We're so sorry there were a few photos still displaying our beach as it was before water levels rose again, but we're working fast to get accurate pictures on the web for our guests to see.
We are a wonderful and friendly hotel, and I'm sorry for any inconvenience to you and your family. I hope you still had a wonderful time in Traverse City. Do try us again, because our facility is very nice, well kept, and clean. Plus, our staff loves guests!
Have a great summer. Please contact me with any other questions or concerns.
Jonathan Pack
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 29 June 2009

We had the Elk Rapids Suite which was a comfortable room with elbow space. I was glad I had brought along my own pillow because those provided were awful. Had a lovely view off our little balcony of the bay and small beach area. Hotel is run very well and staff were always friendly and helpful. Place is well maintained and clean. This hotel is not very close to the center of town (shopping and tourist stuff) so be prepared to travel back and forth. You cannot do this by foot. This hotel is actually on the East Grand Traverse Bay. It has most everything you need to be comfortable. Towels could be upgraded to better quality but then people would probably "borrow them" more often! Breakfast was a good variety for my husband and fresh fruit was available and baked cookies once too. Hotel is only 10 minute drive to the Turtle Creek Casino. We did a Tall ship sunset cruise which was nice although there wasn't any wind during our sail! There's a farmers market right next door to visitor's center which had a nice variety of goods offered by local vendors.(check dates) We enjoyed our stay and would do it again gladly. Traverse City is a beautiful place to visit. Would like to visit in fall next time. PS-loved the cherries on the chairs, carpets........had to take a picture of them!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IndianaJacquelyn
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2009

Thank you for your review - I'm so glad you had a good time and it looks like you got in some nice activities. We just redid our pillows to a fluffier, more plump pillow, and we do provide down pillows upon request. But I know some, like me, regardless of pillows in the room have to have their own pillow to sleep on! It makes a trip a little like home. :) I will be sure to note your towel suggestion. I believe we're in the process of switching them over to bigger towels, so I'll look into your suggestion as well.
The farmers' market is great. Held on Wednesdays and Saturdays in summer, it's a great place to get fresh produce and neat crafts. My wife and I like their flowers, too! We have another farmers' market where the old train station used to be. They have a wonderful selection and it keeps growing.
Thank you again for your stay and your review. Have a wonderful summer and we look forward to you visiting in the future!

Reviewed 17 June 2009

My wife and I drove into Traverse City without reservations. The Cherry Tree Suites was our first and last stop. Conveniently located on the East Bay, this quaint hotel paid strict attention to detail with small niceties I noticed immediatly. A baby grand piano in a small room off the lobby set the tone. I liked the luggage carts located in the entrance. They made check in much easier. The living room style common area was excellent,featuring a fire place, computer stations, videos and a library,not to mention board games for the kids. Everything was well thought out. We had a fourth floor corner suite with beautiful sunset views of the East Bay. The room was over sized, well appointed and clean. My hats are off to the Cherry Tree Suites. The right hotel at the right time for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank mitch_grant
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2009

Thank you for your kind and great review of our hotel. We work hard to get details down and we work hard to sweat the small stuff. That's what makes a difference in Traverse City. I'm glad you enjoyed the suite and I'm sure you enjoyed the weather. Come visit again - we'd be happy to help you more!

Reviewed 17 June 2009

My mom and I stayed in a suite with a king size bed (for her) and a foldout couch (for me). The rooms were spacious and very nice. The staff was nice. The view from our balcony was amazing. We looked down on a pretty little slice of sandy beach and a family of swans. The bed was comfortable. The sofa bed was very uncomfortable and I had to ask for a new blanket because the one on it was ripped and stained (nasty). But overall, we were happy with the suite. The included breakfast was an expanded continental style, self-serve with warm sausage, eggs and make-your-own waffle machine.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Jpack, Front Desk Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2009

Hello! Thank you for your review. The views are fantastic, so I'm glad you enjoyed yours. I'm glad the king bed was comfortable, but the sofa bed was uncomfortable. Being that they are trundle sofas, we generally suggest them for children under 16. Glad you enjoyed the staff and the breakfast as well. Hope you had a safe trip home. It's finally nice and warm up here! Come visit again soon.