“Great place to stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Grant, Michigan
“Great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

We stayed at this hotel for our anniversary get-away, and I was very impressed. I had mentioned while making our reservation that we were coming up for our anniversary, and there was even a Happy Anniversary balloon in the room when we got there. That was a nice touch, and the staff went out of their way to be helpful. The room was huge and had a beautiful view of the bay. I had seen a review before we went that the rooms were somewhat out-dated, and I did not find this to be true at all. The decor was not the latest fashion, but it was certainly in good condition. It was a nice hotel from top to bottom, and also spotlessly clean. The breakfast was very good, and the person working in the breakfast room did a great job of keeping things clean and stocked. I would definitly stay there again, in fact we talked about getting several rooms next winter and taking the kids and grandkids with us for a weekend.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 May 2010
Thank you for your review of the Cherry Tree! I'm so glad you had a good anniversary stay. When a guest mentions they are staying for a "big" (like 5-year, 25-year, 50-year, etc) anniversary or birthday, we like to surprise them with a balloon, popcorn, and movie rental. It's our way of saying congratulations and thank you for showing how it's done! :)
We hope to see you in the winter with your family. Until then, have a great spring and summer!

Jonathan P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Korean first
Greenwood, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

We stayed in the Harbor Springs Suite (room 422) from Thursday 4/8 - Sunday 4/11. The staff was very courteous and the entire hotel was clean and fresh. We found the suite to be clean and comfortable, and very quiet! The bed was very comfortable for my taste. We truly enjoyed the jacuzzi tub and the fireplace also. We used the fireplace nearly the entire weekend!

In the master bedroom, you could hear traffic occasionally, but not enough to be bothersome whatsoever. The fans in the heating units didn't seem to be working properly in either room, so we just turned them off. The room wasn't cold at all, so we forgot to mention the problem to the front desk. The only other issue we had was when housekeeping attended our room on Saturday, they didn't make the bed. They also didn't leave any more lotion/shampoo/conditioner. They did vacuum and change the towels out.

The view of the bay was beautiful. We have always stayed on the west bay before, so it was a nice change to see the birds and more marshy east bay. There is a small beach area and a pirate playground set that kids would probably enjoy.

We had breakfast one morning in the breakfast area. Everything was kept very clean and well stocked. There were hard boiled eggs, juices, coffee, fruit, yogurt, cereal and milk, breads and doughnuts, and a personal waffle maker. We were there during a busy period, and are private people, so the volume of people was a bit much for us. The traffic flow could be improved in this area. There is an counter island and a counter against the wall. If the counterspace along the wall was extended and the island removed, it would dramatically help the flow of people, and maybe open up space for another table. But again, the food was good, the place was clean, and well stocked, even with the many people in the room.

There is high speed wireless internet access in the room at no charge. There was a pool and hot tub, neither of which we used so I can't comment on that. There is a small fitness room, game room, and a laundry area, which we also didn't use.

I liked the security at this hotel. The main entrance is open, but all other exterior doors can only be accessed using the room key. The location is convenient, about 10 minutes maybe from downtown, and there is an ATM and Walgreens right across the street. They have delivery of some restaurants. We used a chinese place for delivery and the hotel had their menu at the front desk.

When in Traverse City, be sure to try the Omelette Shoppe restaurant for breakfast downtown and also the Jolly Pumpkin restaurant on the Old Mission Peninsula for dinner. The Jolly Pumpkin has terrific pulled pork and serves their own brew. And a stop at the Old Mission General Store is a must! Enjoy the cream cheese pretzel they sell - delicious!

We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 18 April 2010
Thank you for your kind and thorough review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and made sure to take notice of everything we have. I apologize for the heaters not running during your stay. I understand you didn't need them, but if you had, we would have been able to make sure they are working perfectly right away. We have had our maintenance team test the units and they've said they are working properly.
Thank you for your suggestion on the breakfast area. We do have additional seating in a sunroom off of our lobby area, and guests are welcome to take food to their rooms. But I really like your suggestion. I will keep it in mind.
Thank you again for your review. I hope you have a wonderful spring and summer! Hope to see you again soon.

Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

Just returned from TC. They must have turned the pool temp up since the previous reviewer, because it was decent (still a bit chilly though). Nice room with good view of the bay. Very friendly staff and nice location -- a little off to the side of the main TC traffic. Breakfast was ok but nothing special -- for a hotel with it's reputation and style I expected a bit more quality. Their fitness room was a bit lame -- treadmill and an elliptical. Overall quite satisfied.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Hello!

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed our stay. I'm sorry, though, you thought our wasn't anything special. With a choice of breads, hot and cold cerals, three types of juice, coffee, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, coffee cake, apples, bananas, donut holes, ready-to-make belgian waffles, and either sausage and egg patties or biscuits and sausage gravy, I think we have a great selection for everyone's tastes. But I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind. We are working to make it better and better, so I appreciate you letting us know.
Thank you again for your review. Have a great spring.

Grand Rapids
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

The Children and I went for spring break, had fabulous weather. Room overlooking the bay. Nice room, clean, plenty of space. BUT the pool was so cold that the kids turned blue after a short time and had to get in the hot tub to warm up. When mentioned to the front desk, she promptly sent maintenence in, who then used a meat thermometer to check the top 4 inches of the water and inform us the water temp was 86*. IT WAS NOT. I work for a company that repairs pools and to check water temp you need a digital probe that goes in 2.5' to get an accurate reading. Maintenance then made rude remarks about us to the front desk as we were leaving. Good news we won't be back. Lots of other hotels on the bay. Will check out a different one on our next trip.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank lovetraversecity
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 8 April 2010
Hello!

Thank you for your review. Although I'm very happy that you enjoyed the room and our cleanliness, I'm mortified that our maintenance staff member made such a rude comment and used such poor judgment. Trust in that I will be speaking to him about that comment.
In regards to the pool temperature, I'm sorry your children found it so cold. Our digital thermometer in our pool mechanical room was reading 83 degrees, but we always do a double check with a "manual" thermometer (one that we can dip into the pool and ready the mercury). I did find out that he was checking with a thermometer not suitable for that type of testing, and I had the pool temperature checked shortly after with our "manual" pool thermometer by hanging it from the bottom of the ladder in the deep end of the pool. I did see the reading from our other maintenance staff member, and the "manual" reading read a little over the 82 degree tick mark.
Again, I'm sorry that the pool felt cold to your family. Our readings were accurate and the pool was at it's set temperature of 83 degrees. But I'm most sorry for the comment that one of my staff members made. Regardless if the guest is present or not, that is not acceptable on our property.
I know you may visit other properties - there are plenty to choose from - but I hope you give our property another chance so we can redeem this poor experience you had.
I wish you and your family a nice April and spring. Please don't hesitate to call and ask for me if you have any other questions or concerns.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

Hotel has great views and priced well. Clean and quiet and near the tourist sites.

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed our hotel, and I hope you had a safe trip home. We always like hearing how our guests enjoyed our property. Have a wonderful spring!

Grand Rapids Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

We stayed at cherry tree hotel in traverse city once 5 years ago. Then just recently in February 2010. Still looks new and clean. Staff is friendly and very helpful. Lots to do in the area, and shuttle to casino Great!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 8 March 2010
Thank you for your review. Glad you had another great experience 5 years later. I bet you found Traverse City to have changed a lot in 5 years. So many new things every year. And I'm glad you enjoy the casino shuttle. As one of the few official stops for the casino shuttle, I'm glad you were able to enjoy that amenity of ours. Thank you again. Have a wonderful end of winter (it was 54 degrees here today!).

Jonathan P., General Manager
Middleville, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2010

Cherry Tree Inn is a great place to stay with the family or for a romatic weekend get away! The staff is friendly, the rooms are great adn they offer a great breakfast. There is no way a person could be disappointed with their stay at Cherry Tree!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review! We greatly appreciate it, and I'll be sure to post it for my staff to read and enjoy as well. Have a great March - can't believe it's here already.

Jonathan P., General Manager