“Winter Special”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Muskegon, Michigan
“Winter Special”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

We stayed during the Winter Special in April, 2010. We paid $100 for the first night and $50 for the second for a corner, first floor walk-out with a pillow top bed and a jacuzzi. The view was amazing! The room had plenty of natural light and was recently remodeled in calming earth tones. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on and the jacuzzi was in the corner of the main room where you could leave the door open for a fresh breeze. This was an amazing value and I will definitely stay again in the future.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 19 May 2010
Thank you for your kind review. I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay. It sounds like you enjoyed the Lake Charlevoix Studio - a very nice choice for a couple's stay away. sometimes on slower days, we'll do great deals to entice our guests to stay with us longer, and I'm glad you took up the offer. Our pillow-top beds are very nice - we're planning to put those in all of our rooms. Right now, we have them in a select few. Thank you again for your review. We'll be happy to welcome you back. Have a great May.

Jonathan P.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Korean first
Boulder, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2010

This suite is on the top floor with a superb view of the bay. However, it's a very odd configuration. When you first walk in you immediately bump into a king bed and across from it is a big hot tub. All in a dreary dim room next to the hallway. You then pass through another door to a bathroom on the right which was just fine, and a fridge/microwave/sink combo on the left. Then you pass into a larger room with a very uncomfortable futon. There is a very small round table with two small wicker chairs. The problem is that the king bed has no buffer area between it and the door to the hallway. I figured out that there was a pull out rolling bed under the futon. So at night I'd close the door to the king bed area, and set up camp in the living room area with the little twin pull out bed. It was kind of weird though. Be aware that the Mackinac Suite is not re-modeled. I wish I would have gotten a chance to see the other suites so that I could compare. The hotel does have a great beach. The breakfast was terrible. Traverse City is a great food place. The restaurants are second to none. There is no excuse for the terrible half attempt at the breakfast they provide. They shouldn't even bother. If I had brought my kids we would have had to eat out every morning at the Bob Evans.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank boulderfoodcritic
Hello!

Thank you for the review of your stay, but I'm sorry you weren't one-hundred percent satisfied with your room. Being in the center of our fifth floor, the Mackinac Island Suites definitely have the best view in the hotel. When entering the room, you do enter into the bedroom first and then walk further into the living area and to the balcony. I was told by the owners who built the hotel that they designed the room this way because they thought people would want the room they are awake in most - the living area - to be the one with the views of the bay and not the bedroom. I do apologize that this setting didn't work for you, but you may consider some of our other suites like the Leelanau and Harbor Springs Suites that have a little more room and a more of a "home" design.
I'm sorry that you felt our complimentary breakfast was terrible. We usually get great reviews of it since we offer a variety of breads, hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, hot and cold cereals, coffee, three types of juices, ready-to-make belgian waffles, and either biscuits and sausage gravy or sausage and egg patties. I will certainly take your thoughts into mind, because I am always tweaking and trying to make it just right for our guests. Thank you for telling us!
Again, I apologize that your accommodations were not to your expections nor ours. We strive to make every guests visit perfect, and we greatly appreciate it when our guests let us know what we can improve on. Every day we are changing and working to make things better for our guests. Yesterday was new pillows. Today is finishing new carpeting, Next week is more painting, The weeks, months, years after will always have something that we're improving on to make our guests' stays better. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I hope you give us another chance to "Wow" you.

Milford, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2010

Nearly everything about this hotel is great. The rooms are spacious, the bathrooms are clean and have a telephone and TV in them, the view is excellent. With a view of the bay comes a private balcony! Only three things detract from this hotel, but they are not enough to keep me from coming back: The internet is spotty, but may be due to my old computer; The beds do not have fitted sheets, they are generic queen sized sheets shoved under the sides and every morning I've noticed I ended up sleeping on bare mattress; and the elevators are slow and bouncy. Otherwise it's a great hotel!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 8 May 2010
Hello! Thank you for your review and your stay. I'm glad you thought our property was great. I'm sorry the Internet was spotty. We did update our wireless network two months ago. With the update, we installed 15 more access points and are now providing 24-hour technical support complimentary to our guests. It's been much, much better since the update and guests are finding it much easier to get on and access their email and such, but I'm sorry you had troubles connecting. We are switching our linen over to fitted sheets soon, so I apologize for the linen becoming untucked, but we are working to make it better.

Thank you again for your stay and review. Have a nice spring and summer!

Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2010

My family and I decided we couldn't afford to take a vacation out of state this year so we visited Traverse City for the first time. I booked the hotel online and was a little nervous about what it would be like when we actually got there. We were very happy when we arrived. The location was great. Our room looked out onto the bay, which was lovely. The room had a small kitchen area with a refigerator and cooktop. This will be really nice next time we visit because we won't have to eat so much fast food. Nice pool. Kids really got a kick out of the small TV in the bathroom! The breakfast was also great, plenty of everything!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your stay and the review you left. We're so happy that you enjoyed your room and our amenities. Avoiding fast food is always nice on a vacation - then you don't feel so guilty when you get home! :) I'm also glad that your nervousness went away after arriving! Have a nice May!

Grant, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

We stayed at this hotel for our anniversary get-away, and I was very impressed. I had mentioned while making our reservation that we were coming up for our anniversary, and there was even a Happy Anniversary balloon in the room when we got there. That was a nice touch, and the staff went out of their way to be helpful. The room was huge and had a beautiful view of the bay. I had seen a review before we went that the rooms were somewhat out-dated, and I did not find this to be true at all. The decor was not the latest fashion, but it was certainly in good condition. It was a nice hotel from top to bottom, and also spotlessly clean. The breakfast was very good, and the person working in the breakfast room did a great job of keeping things clean and stocked. I would definitly stay there again, in fact we talked about getting several rooms next winter and taking the kids and grandkids with us for a weekend.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 May 2010
Thank you for your review of the Cherry Tree! I'm so glad you had a good anniversary stay. When a guest mentions they are staying for a "big" (like 5-year, 25-year, 50-year, etc) anniversary or birthday, we like to surprise them with a balloon, popcorn, and movie rental. It's our way of saying congratulations and thank you for showing how it's done! :)
We hope to see you in the winter with your family. Until then, have a great spring and summer!

Greenwood, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

We stayed in the Harbor Springs Suite (room 422) from Thursday 4/8 - Sunday 4/11. The staff was very courteous and the entire hotel was clean and fresh. We found the suite to be clean and comfortable, and very quiet! The bed was very comfortable for my taste. We truly enjoyed the jacuzzi tub and the fireplace also. We used the fireplace nearly the entire weekend!

In the master bedroom, you could hear traffic occasionally, but not enough to be bothersome whatsoever. The fans in the heating units didn't seem to be working properly in either room, so we just turned them off. The room wasn't cold at all, so we forgot to mention the problem to the front desk. The only other issue we had was when housekeeping attended our room on Saturday, they didn't make the bed. They also didn't leave any more lotion/shampoo/conditioner. They did vacuum and change the towels out.

The view of the bay was beautiful. We have always stayed on the west bay before, so it was a nice change to see the birds and more marshy east bay. There is a small beach area and a pirate playground set that kids would probably enjoy.

We had breakfast one morning in the breakfast area. Everything was kept very clean and well stocked. There were hard boiled eggs, juices, coffee, fruit, yogurt, cereal and milk, breads and doughnuts, and a personal waffle maker. We were there during a busy period, and are private people, so the volume of people was a bit much for us. The traffic flow could be improved in this area. There is an counter island and a counter against the wall. If the counterspace along the wall was extended and the island removed, it would dramatically help the flow of people, and maybe open up space for another table. But again, the food was good, the place was clean, and well stocked, even with the many people in the room.

There is high speed wireless internet access in the room at no charge. There was a pool and hot tub, neither of which we used so I can't comment on that. There is a small fitness room, game room, and a laundry area, which we also didn't use.

I liked the security at this hotel. The main entrance is open, but all other exterior doors can only be accessed using the room key. The location is convenient, about 10 minutes maybe from downtown, and there is an ATM and Walgreens right across the street. They have delivery of some restaurants. We used a chinese place for delivery and the hotel had their menu at the front desk.

When in Traverse City, be sure to try the Omelette Shoppe restaurant for breakfast downtown and also the Jolly Pumpkin restaurant on the Old Mission Peninsula for dinner. The Jolly Pumpkin has terrific pulled pork and serves their own brew. And a stop at the Old Mission General Store is a must! Enjoy the cream cheese pretzel they sell - delicious!

We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 18 April 2010
Thank you for your kind and thorough review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and made sure to take notice of everything we have. I apologize for the heaters not running during your stay. I understand you didn't need them, but if you had, we would have been able to make sure they are working perfectly right away. We have had our maintenance team test the units and they've said they are working properly.
Thank you for your suggestion on the breakfast area. We do have additional seating in a sunroom off of our lobby area, and guests are welcome to take food to their rooms. But I really like your suggestion. I will keep it in mind.
Thank you again for your review. I hope you have a wonderful spring and summer! Hope to see you again soon.

Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

Just returned from TC. They must have turned the pool temp up since the previous reviewer, because it was decent (still a bit chilly though). Nice room with good view of the bay. Very friendly staff and nice location -- a little off to the side of the main TC traffic. Breakfast was ok but nothing special -- for a hotel with it's reputation and style I expected a bit more quality. Their fitness room was a bit lame -- treadmill and an elliptical. Overall quite satisfied.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Hello!

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed our stay. I'm sorry, though, you thought our wasn't anything special. With a choice of breads, hot and cold cerals, three types of juice, coffee, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, coffee cake, apples, bananas, donut holes, ready-to-make belgian waffles, and either sausage and egg patties or biscuits and sausage gravy, I think we have a great selection for everyone's tastes. But I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind. We are working to make it better and better, so I appreciate you letting us know.
Thank you again for your review. Have a great spring.