“Not up to standards” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch
Traverse City MI
“Not up to standards”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Owner is very lacks about being open. Pasties have only ground beef and potato. The potato appeared to be mashed. No carrots, turnips. Young man working was trying hard. Owner s far from his Finn roots.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Minneapolis
“A taste of Michigan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

I had't had a good pasty in a long time. My friend had never had one. We read about Lehto's history and decided we wanted to try it. We chose the traditional beef and the chicken. We ordered warm pasties as a carry out meal. When he handed us the bag, my hand dropped a bit given the weight of the package. You are not being shorted on food. The crust was light flaky. The fillings were so good. I'll compare other pasties to this one. I'll report back when I find one that is better.

• Visited May 2013
Harbor Springs, Michigan
“Taste of da UP!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

Excellent tasting pasties. The thinly sliced meat and veggies really makes a difference. The taste of the crust is what really puts this pasty above it's competitor's version.
I bought cold ones to bring home for baking later that day. The gal who sold them to me did not offer the baking instructions, nor did she offer any gravy to go with. (Not sure if gravy is a condiment for take-out.)

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Shinjin7
Traverse City, Michigan
“Real UP Pasties in Traverse City!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

I was very pleased to find out that the new owner of the famous Lehto's Pasty shop on US 2 about 7 miles West of St. Ignace has opened a new Lehto's Pasty shop here in Traverse City! My wife and I sampled their pasties the other night, and they were excellent! The recipe is, in fact, the original Lehto's recipe from (I believe) 1947 when the St. Ignace shop opened. I have had pasties all over the UP (Michigan's upper peninsula), Northern Michigan, Central Michigan, Florida, Montana and Cornwall, England, and these are absolutely the best! The crust (I suspect made with lard) is excellent, the meat is very good, a touch of rutabaga and great spices add flavor and -- the real secret in my opinion -- the potatoes are sliced, not diced. The sliced potatoes soak up the flavors and don't turn mushy. Overall, just plain outstanding pasties!

When I was growing up, my parents returned to the UP every summer for a vacation, and starting in 1947 (I was only 4) we stopped at Lehto's both coming and going. They are the best pasties, and I am very happy I can get them here in Traverse City now.

This is a take-out only operation, so get some ketchup, something to drink and eat them at the beach or in a nearby park, and ENJOY!!!!!!!!! Lehto's is located just West of Division (US-31) on the North side of Front Street next to Ace Hardware.

• Visited March 2013