“Great Place For Soup, Salads and Sandwiches”
Review of Centre Street Cafe

Centre Street Cafe
Ranked #47 of 313 Restaurants in Traverse City
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Reviewed 8 January 2014

As the title to this review says, this is a great little out of the way restaurant for lunch or if you are just in the mood for soup, salad or a sandwich. The space is utilitarian but made a bit more interesting by a large number of pictures on the wall for sale that are offerings of local artists.

I had the gumbo soup and a cherry chicken salad. The soup was especially good, with a flavorful broth and very tasty pieces of sausage. The salad was your standard Traverse City cherry/chicken salad, but it's as well done as I've had it. The price was reasonable, $10 total. I plan on going back and recommend it to you.

Please note that in giving the restaurant 4 stars I by no means mean to compare it to fine dining establishments, of which there are many in the Traverse City area. It's how I rate it when compared to other restaurants of its type. If you are from the East Coast you would say I'm comparing it to other diners.

One note of caution. The restaurant is small (fewer than 15 tables and a counter). I visited on a very cold day in January and there was a line out the door! I can't imagine what it must be like during the summer. So, give yourself some time when you go.

1  Thank Robert A
There are newer reviews for Centre Street Cafe

Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

I've eaten here 5 times over the last dozen years. Each time, I've been super happy with the food, but less than satisfied with the service.
The lunch service is very slow, and the staff is rather aloof.
If you are meeting someone for lunch, you are much better off going downtown and getting better service at a place like North Peak.

1  Thank JohnnyHHHHH
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I'm a local. This meal is unbelievable. If you order it once, you'll do so often. Check it out on the menu!

1  Thank T W
Reviewed 6 December 2013

It's little out of the way, it's not on restaurant row, but worth the extra minute of the drive to get there. Don't expect fast food, your order is made from scratch. Try a cup of Pete's "Swamp Soup", sit back, relax, and enjoy. The best lunch in TC.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I didn't read a lot of the reviews before going, but I knew this place had a reputation. The Saturday breakfast specials all sounded great, and the duck crepe I finally decided on was terrific. Coffee was good, service was friendly, will be back when I'm in the area again.