“Mel's Diner has nothing over J&S!”

J & S Hamburg Downtown
Ranked #65 of 316 Restaurants in Traverse City
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Description: J&S Hamburg Downtown is a classic, American, Diner and is one of the the oldest restaurants (if not THE oldest) restaurant in Traverse City! Established in 1938, J&S Hamburg provides mouth-watering, hand-dipped shakes, flat-top burgers, the best Reuben sandwich in the state, skin on fries, sweet potato fries, onion rings, homemade soups, chili, sandwiches, homemade cakes, pies, pastries and more! We are open from 6AM until midnight on Monday and Tuesday. We are open 24 hours Wed-Saturday and close Sunday at 3PM. We have abundant patio seating in the spring, summer, and fall! Come by and experience Traverse City's authentic, original, 1930's Diner! Can't wait to see you!
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was a busy place for 11am on a Sunday! We sat down and really enjoyed a hearty meal at great prices. A fresh hamburger was enjoyed by us with Fries and coleslaw. Great Slaw, Real Hamburger and an atmosphere you just don't see often. Its the type of diner that will survive forever as the chains just can copy the character and quality of a place like this! Enjoy!

1  Thank JohnESSM

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We went there twice in one day. We went for our must stop for lunch visit when in Traverse City. They have great chilli dogs and fries. The service is usually quick even when they are busy which seems most of the time. We went back at nite with friends for dessert which is homemade. None of us were disappointed. The carrot cake was given a 5 star as well as the pecan pie and hot fudge brownie. Couldn't beat the price of the desserts!

1  Thank marianne L
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I'm 60 now, and my Dad used to take me here after went fishing when I was about 10! The whole place is about as big as My living room, but very cozy, and clean. You can see the cooks in action, and the waitresses can talk to you from across the room. It's a wonderful place to go for breakfast too! Perfectly cooked eggs as you request them, and whatever toast you want from rye, sourdough, whole wheat or white! The coffee is endless and fresh and HOT! Gotta Love this place...

1  Thank vloomis5
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Good burgers, fries, onion rings. Reasonable prices. Try J&S when you're craving a burger! Fries are always cooked just right. Onion rings are good too!

1  Thank MICHbouhunter
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My only critique is the cook (owner?) might want to instruct waitstaff of things to improve outside of earshot range. But it's a small place and I can see where that would be hard. Other than that, I really liked our visit here. All towns should have such a neat, comfortable diner/dive like this. And I need to find them.

1  Thank JSVTR