“Terrible Place to Stay”

Grand Traverse Motel
Grand Traverse Motel
Ranked #27 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed at this motel due to a sickness of a Family Member in Traverse City. It was affordable, but thats the only good thing I can say about this motel. The room was dirty, smelly, lacked common amenities one would expect at any motel. The front desk was poorly run, and simple needs like my telephone not working were not even adressed. The worse thing about my stay was my room was between some (APPARENTLY) motel workers, and a single man. There was drug and drinking activity out in the open. I witnessed this as I am a smoker, and was going on every night at the hotel when I went outdoors to smoke. This motel is dirty, not maintained, and NOT SAFE! I would not reccomend having children or families staying at this Motel.

Room Tip: No good rooms here
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Grand Traverse Motel

Reviewed 25 August 2011

Very clean and decent motel for the price. Staff was amazing.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tara B
Reviewed 11 July 2011

First, I have to say I was a bit nervous with the mixed reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the rooms are not brand new. If you really look there are some "blemishes." A small stain, older curtains, grout coming loose, but overall our room was clean and comfortable. It was also half the price of other motels in the area and no extra charge for a room that slept 5. (trust me this is VERY hard to find) The gentleman at the desk (the owner?) was very nice. The pool was not heated, but it was clean and a great way to cool off. Loved that our room had a good size mini fridge, microwave, coffee pot and a well functioning AC unit (all vital). Also the location is great. Short walk to the beach, plenty of restaurants within walking distance and the walk to downtown was also very manageable even with our 3 children. No, this is not a 5 star resort, but it is a clean, comfortable, affordable motel. When we visit TC again we will stay here!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mamasuzie75
Reviewed 10 July 2011

The amenities say "Heated pool"....not really....they have a solar cover thats it. Maybe by late August it will be heated. "Free Wi-Fi".....sorta....sure its free...however you can only get a connection outside or right by the window. Toilet worked for 2 days then you had to jiggle the handle or remove lid and monkey with chain to flush. Tub...nasty....short shower and your standing in 6 inches of water. How about we fix the drains?? I agree with smelly...and stains....unacceptable for the price. Bathroom floor...i agree again....due to the terrible drain we had some water on the floor. I wiped it up...the towel was filthy...no way in 24 hours did that floor get that dirty. Greg..give it up...stop with the excuses...it is what it is. Motel/Trash is what i would call it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Kelly82563
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I do not need to say any more, this place is too expensive and is by far the worst place we have ever stayed. Why eveything is old and smells. The owners have deferred making any necessary upgrades to anything.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Bnatral
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Company Called Made Reservation That Went Ok. Got There At 1130 PM So Far So Good. Went To Room What A S # # T Hole Pulled Covers Back On Bed Coworker Notices What Look Like Pizza Sauce On Side Of Box Spring Dont Think It Was Pizza Sauce??????????. Carpet Was Staind, Bathroom Need Major Help Room Just Did Not Fell Clean. Would Have Went To Some Place Else But. Just Work 9 Hrs. Drove 4 Hrs. To Get There Were Very Tired. Will Check Reviews Better Next Time. I Guess You Get What You Pay Four.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank KneeKicker
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Because I never would have stayed here - certainly not for nearly $100. I'm kicking myself this morning. Doesn't feel clean, can hear the neighbors snoring and hacking, holes in the curtains... Overall, downright scuzzy.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank DCTim
gregsix, Owner at Grand Traverse Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2010

Sorry to hear you felt this way. At the time of check in, if you felt the room wasn't clean, or was less than acceptable, it would be reasonable to come back to the office and let us know that the room did not meet your standards. We would have happily returned your money, and rented the room to someone who would have been a better fit. It seems odd to think that you "suffered" through the night in that scuzzy $100 room, when we have so many happy guests. Perhaps read the review on tripadvisor that came in prior to your review. I wish you the best on your quest for a less scuzzy room for a lower price.