“Returned to RED MESA Grill after bad experience last year”
Review of Red Mesa Grill

Red Mesa Grill
Ranked #34 of 320 Restaurants in Traverse City
Price range: US$6 - US$22
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Traditional Latin American specialties served in a fun, lively and festive setting. Featuring the finest and largest selection of Tequila in the North and Michigan's best Margaritas. Over 180 different kinds of Tequila and full bar! Also enjoy a variety of Happy Hour and weekly specials.
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My husband and I returned to Red Mesa Grill this past week after a disappointing visit last year on our trip to Traverse City. Mr. Fred Moore had sent us a letter with an apology last October and included a gift certificate should we ever come back to the area. Well, we returned this week (October 2013) and decided to try the food again. We did not order what we ordered last year, which was something like a festival of meat where you get your choice of 3 different smoked meats. My husband ordered the enchilada platter with chicken, steak and pork enchilada's and his review was that they were average tasting, similar to what you would get at any other place that served enchiladas. I ordered the Mango Fajitias, after the server told me they would not be spicy, BUT there was something with a little kick on it in them as my nose started to run and I needed to reach for that glass of water frequently. Once they cooled down temperature wise, they were much better. There is enough food in that one dinner that two could share it easily. I was pretty happy with my selection, but perhaps the amount of food could be dropped along with the price as there is way too much food for one person. We absolutely LOVED the chips and salsa, but would have preferred to have some white cheese sauce available, too.

We also shared the chocolate quesadilla that was filled with cashews!! Although, I must say, the waitress probably saw all my leftover fajitias and assumed we didn't want dessert because she brought the bill to us without asking if we wanted any or not. She was totally surprised when we told her we were going to have dessert. It was good served with the cinnamon ice cream, but would have been much better had they not burnt the tortillas in many spots...that left a not so good taste in the mouth, but we ate it up anyway cause we LOVE CASHEWS! And we did share it, as there is plenty of dessert for two!!

Our waitress was very attentive and thanked us, which we rarely hear anymore. That is one of my biggest pet peeves after working in customer service for 22 years..so I'm sure RED MESA will be happy to know that of all the places we stopped from Sunday to Wednesday night on our mini vacation, whether dining or shopping, they were one in a handful of places that offered us a thank you for choosing to spend our money at their establishment.

1  Thank bearmom465

Reviewed 23 October 2013

As a Traverse City resident, this is probably one of our favorite regular restaurants in TC. They always have great wait staff and we have never been disappointed with a meal. They have regular theme dinners which never disappoint and you can count on any selection on their menu. The food is a cut above the "Tex/Mex" restaurants serving mainly burritos or fajitas. Although they do serve wonderful burritos and fajitas, the rest of the menu has many creative dishes to try. Their hanger steak dinner is especially good. Tequila connoisseurs will love their choices.

1  Thank Coopintc
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The service and food were equally great. You won't be disappointed if you eat here. That pretty much sums it up.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Very good food. Excellent margaritas. Lots of choices. Good portions. Lively music and great decor. Well done

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Walking up to the resturant we could smell meat being grilled outside and it smelled wonderful! Our server suggested the Churrasco, a plate of three different grilled meats, chicken, pork, and beef each served with their our special sauces. So good! Each dinner came with interesting side dishes. Pretty reasonable in price and lots of food. We loved it!

1  Thank Carol V