“Okay Room...Lousy front desk service”
Review of Park Place Hotel

Park Place Hotel
Ranked #32 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
St Louis, Missouri
“Okay Room...Lousy front desk service”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed in this hotel July 15-18,2013. The Front Desk is a nightmare. They are either on the phone or sitting in the back room so you can't get help easily. I couldn't even get a wake up call time. I even tried to call the hotel from my room at 9pm one evening to see if that would work. No answer. Crazy! The room was fine except the bathroom had a sticky floor. The van from the airport smelled like urine. As you can see I was not happy. You can't even get a newspaper at the front desk. Coffee is not available in the lobby. I therefore didn't want to spend one more dime here besides paying for my room. I did not eat in the restaurant at all.

Room Tip: Either you look at a parking lot or over a lot of roofs to the water and I do mean a lot.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ewilkens
PPHGM, General Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Ms. Wikens, Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback. I'm sorry you were not acknowledged immediately. The front office does get busy responding to calls as does the the reservations/group coordinator who I assume you saw in the back office. It is not the intent of the hotel to not respond in a timely manner, even if it means an acknowledgment of eye contact and a smile when on the phone with someone else. Your frustration is understandable and I will follow-up with my Front Office Manager. We will definitely use your comments as part of our continuous training.

it is my hope that you accept my apology and that you will consider the Park Place Hotel in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Marietta, Ga
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

What you are getting here is a 2 Star hotel with 5 Star Pricing

The location is Great but the size of many of the rooms + the Hot Water in the Shower going from Mega Hot to Lukewam/cold says this place needs to be updated along with getting real with their rates.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I don't know what you paid for your room, but hotel rates in Traverse City are consistent. You'll find limited service hotels follow the same price as the full service properties in TC, even those that are not within the downtown district.

I will follow up with my Chief Engineer regarding the temperature variance of the water.

Have a wonderful rest of the summer!
Michigan
Reviewed 18 July 2013

If you are looking for a great location, this is the place but that is the only positive we found in our stay. It appears that the owners have cut back on many things from cleaning to general upkeep that keeps this hotel from being a top of the line hotel. The first sight you see upon entering the hotel is a long stain on the walk from the flower pot at the entrance. You also notice scuffs & stains throughout the hotel. In the room we found mold in the shower grout, paper cups instead of plastic or glass in the room. All this for just under $300.00 per night. This hotel could be great with some tender loving care & upkeep.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mixmaster300
GeraldH, Thank you for your review. What a beautiful compliment!

Have a wonderful rest of the summer!

Travellers are raving about these Traverse City hotels

Norton Shores, Michigan
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Right from the initial greeting in the lobby, the Park Place exudes First Class. The staff are welcoming, the rooms with modern appointments and extremely comfortable beds. Gorgeous views from room higher up, including views of the Bay! Easy walk to downtown eating establishments and shopping. Though higher cost than your average hotel, the accommodations are so worth it! Make this your place to stay and reserve well ahead. Staff are busy but are personal with their attention.

Room Tip: higher rooms better views.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
parkplace1, Front Office Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and appreciate your comments. We hope that when you visit Traverse City again, you will stop by again.
Michigan
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Ok, this is not a resort or a five star hotel but I have to say the location can't be beat and it is one of my favorite hotels in TC. The rooms are small seeing as it is an older hotel but I like the charm and character of the building and rooms. I have only stayed in the older section, which I ptefer, so I am unable to comment on the newer section. I also enjoy the small martini bar at the top of the building. If you like a clean place with older character this place us for you. If you prefer an uppity hotel with all new amenities this may not be a hotel for you.

Room Tip: I prefer the character of the old tower. Also, a corner room is small but it has a grwat view with...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
staces_480, Thank you for your review and thank you for your continued patronage the Park Place Hotel. Your observation about the quality of our historic character is well described.

Thank you again for being a wonderful guest and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Enjoyed the downtown location! We were able to walk everywhere and forget about our car for the weekend. Room was clean, comfortable. Our room in the historic tower had two walls of windows overlooking the downtown area. The room and location are worth the over-inflated resort town prices. There was plenty of parking.

Details though are lacking. I agree with the previous reviewer that Park Place, other than the name and exterior brick, is not stately as the name implies. The front landscaping around the fountain is sparse. The fountain itself is exposed PVC - tacky! Not a great first impression.

The beacon bar desperately needs remodeling. It's dark and dated. From the photos on the website, I had the impression there was outdoor seating. Nope. That's the private balcony of the suites. There were ants crawling on the paneling/bulk butt-out that borders the windows. The service was attentive, the drinks strong and the food good.

Finally, the front desk staff needs more service training. When we checked-in, there was not a smile or any pleasant chit-chat. During check-in, a women walked out of the office and did not acknowledge us either. We didn't encounter friendly front desk staff until Sunday morning.

Overall, it's a great location, great views from the bayside in the historic tower but it has some improvements to make to be as stately and lovely as it's name implies.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
We would like to thank you for your visit to the hotel and your comments. We are always striving to improve our guest's experience and will use your observations to hopefully make some changes.
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed 11 July 2013

What might seem like a vintage and stately place at first glance, is actually a dated, run down, ill kept space that you'll likely regret. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Apparently, they are the only game in town, with regards to staying directly in downtown Traverse City. My hope is that someone will give them some competition, and soon.
For the $$$$ per night tab we booked a courtyard view room. Apparently, a "courtyard", in this hotel's parlance, is simply a view of the rear parking lot. The room was small and the bathroom so small that one could barely close the door upon entering. You'll find the toilet paper roll...behind you and out of reach. That must be their "concierge" service, because you'd need to call one to obtain a few sheets. Good luck with that! The electrical outlet is "conveniently located" behind the toilet, just in case you wish to use an iron to press your clothing. How do they even get away with that? Are there no City or State Codes addressing this?

There's an addition to the original building that reminds me of a very bad motel. Lucky us! That's where we stayed. When we called to register our dissatisfaction and ask if we could be moved, they called back and stated they could move us to a smaller room...for one night, then we'd have to move back. That must be their "upgrade package." After we declined this "outstanding offer", the front desk did reduce our rate--slightly.

Everywhere you look, maintenance is sorely lacking. Chairs and glasses were left in the hallways at the same location for two days. Wallpaper is peeling, railings are rusting on the balconies, carpets are dirty. Even the luggage cart was filthy. Complaints are simply ignored by the front desk with myriad excuses, and there was no lack of complaining from other guests while we were there, In fact, we had breakfast with another couple staying in the hotel who stated that the manager was the worst customer service rep, ever!

I've stayed in many, many hotels; some of them fantastic, some of them good, some of them mediocre. I've never said this before;' I would never stay here again.I would never recommend anyone stay here, and the price point was ludicrous for the quality of the accommodations.'

Be smart and choose a different place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rjwanderlust
Thank you for the comments posted. While the hotel disagrees with your analysis, we always value any input given so we can improve in the future.