“Great location”

Ranked #32 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great location”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This hotel is right downtown Traverse city. You can walk to everything downtown (shopping, bars, restaurants). The room was a bit small but very clean. It's an older hotel but it has been kept up nicely. The bar at the top of the hotel has excellent views of the city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christi V
parkplace1, Front Office Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
It is always gratifying to see guests enjoy their stay at The Park Place. We would like to thank you for your review and look forward to your return to the hotel the next time your are in Traverse City.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Beverly Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 2 December 2013

While In town we spent the night at Park Place. Have stayed here a few times now. Each time has been nice. Small rooms but updated. The staff is friendly and the location is right downtown which is perfect to walk around and stop in at the shops and restaurants/bars.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
We would like to thank your for your recent visit to the Park Place Hotel. We appreciate your review and hope you can return to the hotel soon!
Holton, Michigan
Reviewed 8 November 2013

First visit, and it won't be our last. Park Place is an iconic hotel that is wearing well, and a joy to stay in. Got a tower room on the 7th floor with a south view. I'm sure the north side with water views would be wonderful if you can get it.
There are two sections: tower and the newer addition. Tower has 8 floors, and the way it is situated, you get to the lobby quickly. I appreciated that, since most motels are laid out horizontally, and require more walking. There is a bar on the top floor that we didn't get to, but I'm sure the view is stunning. Also a pool that we didn't get to.
Staff was friendly and helpful. No complaints there. Our room was not large, but more than adequate for our one night stay. Clean, well thought out, and very restful. Bed was comfortable. Equipped with TV, fridge, microwave, and Keurig coffee maker. The Keurig was on a slide out shelf, and included 4 pods (2 decaf-2 regular). Easy to use, and nicer than those 4-cup drip makers everyone has. Not a fan of Keurig coffee, but bring your own from home if you like it.
Wi-Fi was available, but troublesome. Eventually worked, but it seems like it shouldn't be. Each side of each floor has its own transmitter, so you'll have lots of choices. Thankful for I-phone hotspot.
Here's a rarity: room service. Minerva's is the downstairs restaurant, and they'll send anything up for an 18% gratuity. We perused their menu, ordered pizza and a sandwich, and it was at our door in 20 minutes. Prices were reasonable for what it is, and a lot better than trekking outside. Interesting menu as well. Good food.
Oh, and don't expect a free continental breakfast off the lobby with waffles and scrambled egg pucks. Not that kind of place. But I'm sure Minerva's will serve you well, and again, breakfast can be room service.
The location of Park Place also can't be beat. They are one block from downtown, which is where we like to spend a lot of our vacation time. You've parked free in the PP lot, so that saves a buck or two.
Clean, great view, professional, comfortable, room service, location, and there's not a place in TC like it. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: North side rooms face the bay. Nice if you can get it. East and West are probably combos. South is a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Corsair53
parkplace1, Front Office Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
On behalf of the Park Place Hotel, we would like to thank you for your visit and detailed review of the hotel. As the only full service hotel located downtown we are always striving for the best service to our guests and look forward to your return visit in the future.
Northern Michigan
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

The Park Place doesn't disappoint again! I had room 811- a big corner room with a gorgeous view. I came in early in the morning for a seminar and was told if I waited I could get an upper floor (my preference) or they could place me on the 4th floor. I appreciated the offer and waited a few hours for my beautiful room.

At lunch, I went to Minerva's. This is their on-site restaurant. It was great.

I couldn't be happier with my room, the front desk staff or the restaurant.

This is an affordable gem I'm the heart of downtown Traverse City!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mary M, we would like to thank your for your return visit and your gracious review. It is always great to see our frequent travelers at the hotel and hope to see you soon!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed the last 2 days in October. We got a pretty good deal because it was the off season. Location was the only reason we booked this hotel. I've had bigger rooms in NYC. Beds were very uncomfortable Staff was professional but not a lot of friendliness. I would not stay here during their on season and pay the prices they ask for their rooms.

• Stayed October 2013
We would like to thank you for your visit to the Park Place Hotel and your review. While the hotel cannot increase the size of the rooms of this historic hotel, we always strive to improve our service and guest experience, which we will do. We want all guests to feel right at home and we are sorry if the staff did not treat you accordingly.
Michigan City
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We were on Western Michigan vacation and stayed in Traverse City for two nights. We really enjoyed this hotel. We were there during the off season and in the middle of the week, so I think things are kind of slow. We enjoyed the dome covered indoor pool and the fitness area (we were the only two people using these facilities). Also, the roof top bar has a great view and the bartenders were very nice. They are centrally located and an easy walk to many shops and eateries. Our room was a little small but it had a view of the downtown and the bay. The beds were comfortable. The front desk associate was helpful and upgraded us to the room with the view. We would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank indianatraveler57
We were happy to see your comments form your stay utilizing the many amenities the Park Place has to offer and hope that when you are in Traverse City on your next visit you can visit us again!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 12 October 2013

When I arrived at the Park Place I was pleased to find it situated right in the heart of downtown Traverse City, within EASY walking distance of many stores and eateries. This is by far this properties biggest amenity. Because the property is quite average, and I found the staff only marginally friendly.

Check-in was all business. No extra information about the hotel, amenities or room options. I was put in a room in the long section of the hotel, not the tower that is pictured which is one of the tallest structures in town (handy for finding your way back!). The room was dated but clean. The sleeping area was average-sized but the bathroom was minuscule. I mean it barely had room for the door to open. It was so small they put an extra sink in the closet across the hall. There was a small balcony on the room with a view of the parking lot. Nothing special, but I appreciated the fresh air. TV was a small 32". The wireless is free but intermittent. I believe it has limited capacity.

I was very disappointed when I called for a late checkout because my business appointment (which was a booked event in the hotel!) was going a little past checkout (11:00AM). I was treated roughly by the front desk, then housekeeping banged on the door twice until I explained to the head of housekeeping that I had reluctant permission for a late checkout. She hadn't heard from my friend at the front desk. She was apologetic and friendly, but the damage was done.

The property is definitely in a prime location, and if this is your major concern Park Place is clean and efficient, just don't expect extra attention or amenities. If you have some flexibility, I would definitely shop around and weigh your options.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room for a better view!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
We appreciate your visit to the Park Place Hotel and take note of the comments you made. We try our best to accommodate all requests by guests and apologize that your request was not handled correctly. Since this is an historic hotel, there is nothing that can be down about the size of rooms, but the location and amenities of this full service hotel continue to take care of guests and hope that you can visit us again.