“I usually stay here and have overlooked some of the issues till now.”
Review of Park Place Hotel

Park Place Hotel
Ranked #32 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
“I usually stay here and have overlooked some of the issues till now.”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I come to Traverse City often for work and like to stay downtown. I usually stay at Park Place or the Holiday Inn just for the location. My recent stay was horrific. When I arrived I saw they were doing some painting in the room on the other side of the wall. I smelled strong chemical odor but just figured they were cleaning their tools. I went to dinner and had drinks with some customers and got back later. When I got back there was not much of a smell so I went to sleep. In the middle of the night I woke up with a headache and felt sick. There was a strong smell that actually got worse as the night went on. So I woke up early and checked out earlier then normal. When I was checking out they asked how my stay was and I said it was terrible and explained that the chemical smell was so strong and he had no concern. He just said I am sorry about that sir. Nothing else was said or offered. I was concerned about my health and he just didn't care. Even worse a lady that might have been a manager was listening and kinda went and hide. I was not looking for a free room because I do not pay for my room, my company does. I will just tell all the people from my company and my friends not to stay there. I will no just stay elsewhere. I am looking forward to the new hotel going up.

• Stayed January 2014
parkplace1, Front Office Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
On behalf of the Park Place Hotel, we would like to apologize for the issues that you encountered during your stay. The hotel is undergoing renovations, but in this instance a contractor was working in an area not authorized by the hotel and we are sorry for this. The hotel is doing the best it can to try to minimize any disruptions to our guests during the lobby renovation which should be completed by the end of March of 2014.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
McBain, Michigan
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My friend and I stayed last spring as a girls getaway weekend. The staff was very pleasant and the atmosphere comfortable and relaxed. We have decided to come back this spring and we are making this a new tradition! Its so close to everything and a beautiful view. The bloody marys in the restaurant are some of the best I've ever had. I can't wait for our trip and I am looking into getting away for a few days in February with my husband, This hotel has everything we need, good food, nightlife, swimming, room service, a balcony, and a wonderful staff. Can't wait to see you!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
We would like to thank you for visiting Traverse City and the Park Place Hotel. We appreciate your review and hope that you can visit us soon when you return!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We usually stay at the Grand Traverse Resort but decided to give this hotel a try as the location can't be beat and the lobby looked very inviting. We booked for three nights...December 26-December 29, 2013.
The room was lovely, with a great view of downtown Traverse City and the bay. The bathroom needed updating but the room was fairly clean. We enjoyed breakfast the first morning and it was pretty good.
The problem came on the third night. We left our room at 9:00 in the morning and when we got back at 7:30pm, the room had not been cleaned. I called room service but no one answered. I called the front desk and the person agreed to send up towels and coffee.
In the morning, I asked to speak with the manager and told him the problem. At first he was skeptical and kept saying that perhaps the cleaning staff "forgot" to do something...not so...bed not made, garbage cans full, dirty towels, floor not vacuumed. After that, he spent another 5 minutes yammering on and on about how this was not done out of spite. He was very defensive. He did agree to give us a $50 credit. However, I will not be going back...the manager needed to apologize and give us the last night free of charge.

1 Thank Lilly417
parkplace1, Front Office Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
While it is unfortunate that this guest room was missed by housekeeping that day, the hotel did everything it could to accommodate the guest, including giving a credit equal to 50% off the room rate for the only night that they had an issue.
Waterford, Michigan
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The Park Place hotel is a great hotel. From check-in to check-out, all the staff were friendly and helpful. The room was great, at a great price, for a short getaway before the new year. This is the perfect location, as you can walk to everything downtown.

1 Thank TravelingEdwards
parkplace1, Front Office Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
We would like to thank your for your visit to the Park Place Hotel and your review. While the hotel does have a great location, we are always striving to make each guest experience a memorable one and hope you can return soon.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We've stayed at the Park Place Hotel multiple times and plan to continue to visit this treasure in downtown Traverse City in the future. We love the convenience to the downtown! While the PPH isn't new I would compare it to a classy older women that might show a few wrinkles but is still a beautiful interesting dame. Our room had a wonderful view of the bay (probably prettier in the summer). We did experience one slight problem with the room being too warm but the maintenance people took care of it promptly. Though some may feel the rooms are small we prefer to see them as intimate.We love visiting the lounge on the top of the hotel and Minerva's is always good. A special thank you to Amy for helping us arrange a fun wine tour!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah K
parkplace1, Front Office Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
The hotel would like to thank your for recent stay and review. We appreciate your comments about the hotel and staff and hope you visit the hotel again the next time you are in Traverse City.
Plainview, Illinois
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Wow, where do I start? Our bad experience started from the point of check in. What should have taken only a few minutes, ended up taking about 15 minutes because they young lady at the front desk seemed to be quite clueless on the process. We got to our room (the first one) only to find that the king we requested when reservations were made was 2 queen beds instead. We did request a king room and were switched at that time. The next room was similar to a room in my great grandmother's house....very small, very poorly lit, and appeared to be very, very old. I understand this is a old building, but wow it didn't need to look so old. Upon getting settled in our room, we noticed the heat seemed to continue to get hotter and hotter. We set the thermostat down and the temperature in the room rose another 3 degrees. By the second night the room was up to 75 degrees which is very uncomfortable for us, so we called and maintenance came to fix it. After looking at it, leaving and returning to look again, the young man unlocked our window. In Michigan, in December, outside temp 17 degrees and our room never cooled beyond 74 degrees! We were on the 6th floor in a little nook that had one door entering into the hallway with 2 room doors behind it. The doors were so loose that every time someone opened one of the other doors or door slammed against the jam; that was enjoyable to hear all night long with the loud party going on in the hall way. We reported the noise around midnight and then again around 2 am when it didn't stop. We were thrilled the next morning to step over jello shots in the hallway and see empty beer bottles in the elevator. We had enough at this point and checked out and stayed at another hotel for our final night and had a much better experience. Very disappointed with this stay and will not stay here again.

1 Thank GertieRN
We are sorry that your recent stay at the hotel was not up to our standards. We strive to make every guest visit a memorable one and it unfortunate that other guests are not considerate. The hotel does have security and other measures in place to prevent situations like this from happening and the staff strives to do make every guest have a great stay.

Travellers are raving about these Traverse City hotels

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This hotel is right downtown Traverse city. You can walk to everything downtown (shopping, bars, restaurants). The room was a bit small but very clean. It's an older hotel but it has been kept up nicely. The bar at the top of the hotel has excellent views of the city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christi V
It is always gratifying to see guests enjoy their stay at The Park Place. We would like to thank you for your review and look forward to your return to the hotel the next time your are in Traverse City.