“Price made it right”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Traverse City
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights while visiting in traverse city. Room was clean, with fridge and microwave. Staff was pleasant. Parking was a challenge- not enough spots. Breakfast was included but not really our type of healthier food- mostly carbs and high fat meats, powdered scrambled eggs, a make your own waffle station --all which most others seemed to enjoy - I am just picky. The coffee was good and there was hazelnut creamer to keep me happy. Par Overall an excellent value - exactly what I expected from other peoples reviews!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank my2greenize
Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We were traveling with 5 adults and 2 children which makes it difficult to find a single room. Country Inn offered a room with 3 queen beds and a pullout couch for $188. We were very comfortable. We enjoyed the pool, hot tub, and delicious breakfast.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My sister and I (both in our 50's) stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Traverse City from July 9-11. Our stay was during the National Cherry Festival so we weren't sure we could get an affordable room. We made our reservations on Memorial Day weekend and had no problem getting the room. We had a room with two queen beds, had a fridge and microwave. The hotel is very clean, staff provide great service, and the free breakfast is the best I have had at a hotel of this type. We were about a mile from downtown Traverse City on the main road, so it was easy getting in and out of town. We traveled to Old Mission Peninsula on a wine tour and we did our own tour of the Leelanau Peninsula. Make sure you go to Leland and check out Fishtown - it is a great place to see some history and enjoy some cute shopping! You can do boating excursions from there as well.

Room Tip: Hotel has 2 floors and has an elevator. We were able to park close to our entrance and walked right...
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stay at this hotel when we come to Traverse City. The rooms are very clean, large, and bright. The staff is pleasant at the desk (most other staff does not acknowledge you, however). Their free breakfast is great! Sausage biscuits and gravy, make your own Belgian Waffles, and lots of other things you would not expect in a "free" breakfast. The pool is nice and the price is right. It's right on the main strip with about 50 other hotels but, we choose this one. I will stay here again and again.

Room Tip: Get a King Room with a Hot Tub. It's worth the extra $20!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dan B
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I spent our lodging time at Country Inns and Suites in Traverse City, Michigan. The cost of this hotel accommodation was very reasonable and the service of the hospitality staff was excellent. The front desk staff was helpful as I was having difficulties in connecting to their Free Wi-Fi. They personally assisted me in doing so, of which i was grateful! They offers a nice HOT breakfast and the seating area for breakfast was quite accommodating.Rooms were clean, no issues there! I would stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had booked online a few months ago, after reading many reviews on Trip Advisor. I am a Club Carlson member. However, I was not able to redeem any points for this visit. I booked online using their website. No promos could be used due to the holiday. Prices increased with the holiday check in.
Upon check-in, we were a bit early and our room was not ready, we were informed to come back later to get our keys. The staff was friendly and busy. I noticed it was all male employees working at the desk, in the past I have only seen females working at the desk of other CI&S. Two of which was on the phone with last minute people trying to get rooms. They were pleasant and handling requests professionally.
We came back a few hours later and got our keys. We were provided with a map for parking and directions on which entrance to use and where to park. There are two separate buildings. We were on the top floor, however it was number #4. The building we were in was away from the pool area, main office and dining area. It was only a short walk.
In our building, there was vending machines, laundry center (two washers and two dryers with soap dispenser for a small fee) and workout room.
We had a one bedroom suite (two double beds and a queen murphy bed). I was immediately impressed with our room! It had a table with four chairs, kitchen sink, fridge and microwave. The living area had a full size couch with a flat screen tv. The queen murphy bed was a welcome sight. We pulled it down for two of our children to sleep on. It was a comfortable bed with bedding and pillows already on it! Normally, a pull out sleeper sofa bed needs to made up before use. The bathroom was clean and had a sink/mirror in it. I had requested extra towels at check in. There was extra towels stocked below the sink on a shelf and housekeeping had delivered a few extra just in case. The bed room had a vanity and another sink in it as well. Which was a welcome sight for bedtime routines! The beds were comfortable. I am not a fan of feather pillows but the comfort of the bed made up for the pillows. I really like how this Country Inn uses white sheets and bedding/blankets. I have two things that I didn't quite like: the bathroom door opens right to the shower, which if you are getting out of the shower and someone is coming in the bathroom you get hit with the door. I think this is a design flaw for families using the suite. I know housekeeping has a big job to do in a short amount of time. I noticed something on the floor near the head of one of the beds. Upon closer inspection, it was several Dorito chips between the headboard/top of the bed and the wall. I picked them up and tossed them in the trash. We did request more shampoo and housekeeping promptly delivered them.
We asked a young man at the front desk about the 4th of July fireworks. He was a wealth of knowledge as for where to sit for watching and where to park. He provided us with a map and marked several locations for us and took into account our young children and time of night. He went above and beyond in my opinion. Great service!!
We ate breakfast one morning, it was very busy. I know the rule of thumb is to get there before 8A otherwise seating and selection start to be slim pickings. There was two attendants; one replenishing food and another clearing tables. This location had three seating areas; one near the food, one in the main office area and another on an outdoor patio. This was great in handling all the guests coming in for breakfast.
This morning it was breakfast burritos; scrambled eggs, potatoes, tortillas, salsa, cheese/peppers/onions/diced ham. There was an array of baked goods (muffins, bagels, bread, and danish) cereal options, fruit (apples, bananas, and mixed fruit), too.
The mixed fruit didn't look fresh but the other options were presented well and tasted delicious.
Check out was fast. This is a nice property. I did notice the "GRAND OPENING" sign and asked, I was informed it was put up last year when it opened and it is used as a marketing tool to bring in guests, even thought the Grand Opening already took place.
I did hear our neighbors (family with young children) arguing and fighting next door. But since it was a holiday weekend and we were traveling with our children, too. I knew this was to be expected. One dad was actually locked out of the room by his young son. Gotta love family vacations. Otherwise, it was quiet after 11P both nights.
The hot tub was closed the first night, I am not sure why. But it was reopened the second night of our visit. The pool was large 3ft-5ft deep. Towels were stocked. There was heat vents keeping the area very warm. Many families took advantage of the pool/hot tub. We visited it one night. The hallway leading to/from the pool area was slippery but signs were posted and housekeeping was consistently trying to keep it dry. I appreciated their attention to it. Overall, nice stay for the holiday weekend!

Room Tip: I always ask for quiet room on the top floor away from elevator/vending/pool areas.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Let me start off by saying that there was actually nothing really wrong with this hotel, but we just weren't overwhelmed by it. The staff at the hotel, from the housekeepers, to the front desk and breakfast workers were all very friendly. The room was very clean, also. One thing that underwhelmed us was the bathroom in our king suite. It was VERY small. No way can two people get ready at the same time. There was little counter space, and one small towel rack. There also wasn't a soap holder in the bathtub. I never thought of that as a luxury before, but I guess they wanted you to put the soap on the edge of the tub. From the outside, the hotel was rather boring. There wasn't much landscaping so it didn't give a real welcoming feel. Many people raved about the breakfast. There were a lot of choices, which was nice, but the quality of some of it could be improved. For us, this would be an OK choice for a one night stay in Traverse City.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family