1,005 results
All reviewsday clubfront deskoutdoor barwithin walking distance of downtownfront streetview of the waterfree shuttleprivate beachcherry festivaldowntown areajenniferhunterbayweddingsummertchousekeeper
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and I took our kids to Traverse City for my son's spring break in early April and stayed here for two nights. We wanted a nice place within walking distance of downtown with an indoor pool and fitness facility and West Bay Beach definitely delivers and went beyond expectations.

When we checked in, we were told that they had overbooked the family suite we had requested (the one with the walled-off bunk bed area for kids), so they would put us in a pair of adjoining rooms for no additional charge the first night, with the suite open on the second night if we wanted. We arrived in our rooms to find them spacious, each with queen-size beds. Our boys were psyched to sleep in the biggest beds they'd ever slept in, so we decided this setup was fine.

Later that first day, my wife returned to our room to find that the female front desk staff — I forget their names, sadly — left us with a note apologizing for the oversight and a big coloring book and set of fancy crayons for the kids. What a sweet gesture!

Hotel staff were consistently friendly and courteous.

I must also recommend the restaurant, Shimmers on the Bay. We ate here practically by default on the last night — kids were tired and we didn't want to risk going out — and I frankly didn't have high expectations. But I enjoyed a very well prepared walleye filet with a pesto beurre blanc, potatoes Dauphinoise and wonderful roasted vegetables, while my wife had a good butternut squash ravioli. We were very pleasantly surprised. One interesting side note: The bar here apparently turns into quite the swinging place with the older set on Thursday nights. My wife and I both had hilariously weird exchanges in the lobby and elevator with freewheeling older women who were letting loose as the night wore on.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Colin W, General Manager at West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

svengolly -

Thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor.com. We are glad that we were able to turn a frustrating situation into something comfortable for your family.

We hope to see you again on another trip to Traverse City.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn four nights while attending a real estate class in Traverse City. Having lost my husband to cancer in December, it was a difficult trip to Traverse for me - full of memories and sadness. The staff at the Holiday Inn Resort were super kind and tended to my every need. I felt their care every moment of my stay. I was totally impressed. They helped me through a difficult week in a way one would not expect from a hotel. I'll always come back to the Holiday Inn West Bay. And the rooms and facility were great as well. Thank you to the Holiday Inn staff!

Room Tip: All the rooms were quiet. My room overlooked the US-31 corridor and I couldn't hear traffic noise at all. Summer time would be fun to be overlooking the Bay.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hi Kristi H -

We were very sad to hear of your husbands passing. We can not begin to imagine how you were feeling.

We hope that you received some well needed rest during your stay.

See you again,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I am a tour operator and I brought a 30 person group to Traverse City in April. All of my tour guests loved the hotel. The staff made the check-in process effortless by having all 17 of the room keys setup ahead of time. All I had to do was grab the key packets and hand them out to everyone on the bus. The rooms were clean, quiet and stocked with modern amenities. There was an amazing gift basket in my room with a nice welcome card from the front desk. Very nice touch having Michigan Based products in it! The location of this hotel is ideal since it is walking distance to downtown Traverse City. Don't want to walk, they offer a shuttle service as well. I would recommend this hotel to any wishing to enjoy a Traverse City Getaway!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

sj4pres -

Thank you for sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor.com! We were very grateful to earn your groups business, and wanted to share our thanks.

We hope to see you again on another tour!

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I brought my daughter and her friend to this resort as Spring was trying to make an appearance. I liked the fact that we were able to bring our dog. Pros..proximity to downtown.comfortable beds.great breakfast.floor to ceiling window that faced the lake albeit still frozen.clean room....Cons..while trying to check in the manager in his attempt to be thorough inundated us with information that felt like a fast sales pitch.Given our drive to get there I would have preferred the short version. Resort on busy road. I would visit again. I imagine the summertime would be peak!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Colin W, General Manager at West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Hi Karen R -

Thank you for your recent stay at our property here in Traverse City! We are glad that, overall, you enjoyed your time spent with us.

We appreciate the feedback on your experience during check-in; we have made a note of this and will ensure we don't bombard future guests!

See you next time,

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Since the moment we stepped in the door we felt welcomed. I had forgotten my bathing suit and I had wondered if the gift shop had any. They didn't but offered to shuttle me to some place that had them for sale. How nice is that!!! The pool was so nice! Not sure if it was air freshener but the pool area smelled like suntan lotion. I love that smell! It brings back summer which is a nice thought after the winter we had. We will definitely be back. Thanks for the great mini vacation!

• Stayed: April 2014

TomChris2 -

Thank you for your wonderful review here on TripAdvisor.com! We are very grateful you chose to stay with us while in Traverse City.

See you again soon!