“Beautiful view!”

Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Fredericksburg, VA
“Beautiful view!”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The hotel does not look like a hotel from the outside. I drove right past it; no signage identifying it as a Holiday Inn unless you look at the side of the building which is perpendicular to the road. I had a view of the bay and really enjoyed it every evening and morning. Watching the rippling water across the bay was gentle and soothing. At any time you can see boaters and fishermen in the water. There is an outside bar area that was full of people when the sun was up, but people scattered when the sun went down and the really cool breeze came across the water. I ran/walked along the water on the bike/jogging track and thoroughly enjoyed the scenery and the flat terrain. Room service was efficient but they left the breakfast tray outside of my door all day; not really appealing when I returned from work that first evening. I was there in the late spring and the bike rental hut was not open, but think this would be an enjoyable way to see the downtown area, which is 1/2 mile from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view! I was right across the hall from the elevator and the ice machine and v...
1 Thank Evelyn P
Colin W, Guest Relations Manager at West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hi Evelyn P-

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor.com! We appreciate the oppurtunity to learn about your experiance at our resort.

I am glad that you enjoyed your room service aside from the overlook of not picking up the tray. I apologize for that and please know that we are taking steps to fix it.

We hope that you will come see us again and have another relaxing trip with a great view!

See you soon,

Krystal F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Gallen
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I come to Traverse City every year since about 15 years. Most of the time I stay at this Holiday Inn. The location is very good since it is close to downtown TVC and on the waterfront with a nice beach. Recently they did upgrade the rooms and the lobby a little bit, but the hotel is still kind of old and definately it is NOT a resort. For me this does not matter, since I come here on business. However for the price you sometimes pay, it is too expensive for what you get. The new furniture (especially the table) is not very good and the bathrooms are still quite cold and tiny. The bar area is not really nice and not very welcoming.
Overall it is still ok, but I think they could improve it even more or lower the prices.

2 Thank PureFiction
Colin W, Guest Relations Manager at West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Hi Purefiction-

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.com!

We have a lot of exciting things happening this summer at West Bay Beach. All new beach furniture which includes chaise lounge chairs and umbrellas is being set up as we speak for our guests and the public to utilize, along with food and beverage to be served in those areas.

Our indoor and outdoor pools are also a great spot to hang out and enjoy the great summertime weather here in northern michigan.

The activities desk is offering all sorts of fun things to do for families and couples alike. We can set up a wine tour for the adults and a fun scavenger hunt for the kids!

We look forward to seeing you in the future so you can enjoy all the great things we have to offer!

Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I recently held a conference at this facility and was so delighted with the staff and the property. West Bay Beach underwent a complete renovation last year and it is first class, as is their staff. Working with the Sales staff (Kimberly & Amy) was so easy - they were so accommodating - they wanted to make sure everything went well for me and my attendees. Then from the minute you walk-in and register (Char warmly greeted my with a great big smile and Nick who, whenever I saw him asked me if I needed anything) to the food service staff (Suki, Zack, Maegan, Jackie, Chandra, Hannah, Sandy and Scott) who provided the absolute best service at the many functions that was held during my conference. But mainly, as an everyday guest at the West Bay Beach, their entire staff treats you as if you are their #1 priority. They are always smiling and greeting you. I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room that gives you a view of the bay.
1 Thank Falcon3633
Colin W, General Manager at West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hi Falcon3633 -

Hi again!

It was such a pleasure having your repeat group with us again this year. I really appreciated our conversations and you sharing your feedback with us before leaving last week.

When you said that you felt this was the best staff in the many years your group has been staying with us, that really hit home. Our team has been working very hard to become the premier team in Traverse City.

Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My only gripe is that there are no windows in the rooms that open... that's it. Really. No biggie but it's worth mentioning.

Staff is really nice, helpful and they will go out of their way for you. Location is on the beach... doesn't get better and within a 5 minute walk to all the shops/restaurants/bars downtown.

Beds are on the hard side, but some people like that. Very happy I stayed here, will be back!

Room Tip: All rooms have a view, but windows are small and do not open.
1 Thank JYinCLE
JYinCLE -

Thank you for sharing your feedback with others! We also thank you for mentioning the staff in your review! We have a wonderful team here at West Bay Beach Resort.

SARASOTA
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We were really looking forward to our stay in Traverse City on the lake, but I guess our timing was bad. There were literally hundreds of kids in the hotel for a soccer tournament. We love kids, actually used to be kids, but even the best kids concentrated in such a small place made us feel like we were caught in the middle of a runaway roller coaster. I am sure they had a blast, but we didn't. Someone cried most of the night in the room next door, They ran and played soccer in the hallway, and the lobby area was overrun. We really felt sorry for the staff. We were never able to connect to the internet, probably because every kid and parent seemed to have devices. Although we paid top price, and expected something for it, we were just relieved to check out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BAJ34241
BAJ34241 -

Thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor.com

We appreciate you staying with us last weekend. As mentioned, Traverse City hosted a significant soccer tournament, and we did host a couple of teams here at the property.

I'm glad you can appreciate that the actions of a few of the players (most were really well behaved) are somewhat out of our control. Our staff actually did an excellent job of working with the group.

We hope you give us another try again soon.

Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This hotel had a great central location. We planned a wine tour on Old Mission Peninsula & had 2 rooms for 2 nights- mid May. The customer service throughout the hotel was exceptional. This property has been fully remodeled with great water views. Very clean. Beds were very comfortable. We didn't eat much at the hotel because we were busy driving around but the menu looked delicious. We did have some appetizers -mussels & a spinach dip- (both were great) & cocktails. One night I explained to our server, James, about a certain kind of martini I liked but didn't see it on the menu. He told me he thought they could do it anyway and shared my suggestion w/the bartender and it was amazing! James went out of his way to provide great service. As did the bartender and the rest of the hotel staff. We will definitely stay here again and share our positive experience with others:)

Room Tip: We had a corner King room- it was very spacious & had limited but nice views of the water
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vonni L
Colin W, Guest Relations Manager at West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hi Vonnie L-

It sounds like you had such a great time! Thank you so much for the great review, the spinach dip is one of my personal favorites, I am so glad you enjoyed it.

We can't wait for you to return and have another great experiance with us.

(I may have to come to Shimmers by the Bay after work and have James make me that martini) :)

We look forward to seeing you soon,

Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Granted, I stayed here in the late-fall when there weren't many tourists. I assume they do much better service in the tourist season.
That said, this was a miserable experience. Very out-dated hotel. I couldn't sleep, so I went down to the lounge. It wasn't a typical "lounge" experience-- it was a dance club. Getting a beverage required me to navigate through a sea of locals who kept hitting on me.
After a drink, I retired to my room, but the "club" crowd had made their way into the hallways.
I rarely complain at a hotel, but I felt the need to on this night. The response was, "Hey, we make more money on the club this time of year."
Wrong answer. Never coming back. Holiday Inn should be ashamed of being associated with this location.

Room Tip: As far away from the night club as you can get!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rick M
Colin W, General Manager at West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Hi Rick M -

Thank you for sharing your feedback on our property here on TripAdvisor.com.

It sounds like you are getting caught up on your reviews, since you mentioned your stay at our resort was back in the fall.

The team here at West Bay Beach has worked very hard over the past months to improve our property, especially the guest service side. I'm confident that if you gave us another try, you'd feel we were better than ever.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back sometime soon.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.