While doing some business in the area I recently completed a three night stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Traverse City.
And I can see that most of the reviews here already cover things pretty well: this may be the most basic chain hotel in the tourist-friendly Traverse City area. I'm not sure which rooms are considered "suites" because my room certainly wasn't. It was a nice sized room with almost completely unadorned walls, except a framed print over the bed and a decorative mirror over the fridge that sits on top of the squat dresser.
When I sleep, I'm one of those weirdos who likes to have a fan or vent always running which generates both white noise and circulates air. My room didn't have a "fan" option on the in-room heater & A/C unit so when the temperature reached the level it was set for, the heater turned off and I could hear people trudging around outside in the hotel corridor and the glub-glub-glub of the water being processed by the ice machine. Not the most comfortable sleep for me at all, but some of the rooms apparently do have older heater units that do have "fan only" options.
Bathroom sink was separate from the W.C. & shower room, so one person can be doing make up and/or grooming while the other person is doing business behind a door. Hotel provides a facial and bath size bar of soap, shampoo and conditioner and two makeup remover pads in shrink-wrap. In the small closet area you'll find a luggage rack, an ironing board and iron, in addition to the clothing hangers.
Internet is free and can be accessed via WiFi or a sometimes temperamental (takes a bit of time to figure out your computer wants to connect) broadband Ethernet converter box sitting on the work table.
The exercise room is at the end of the top (3rd floor) corridor and isn't much wider than a closet space, but it's as long as a room so there's a surprisingly useful number of pieces of equipment in there, including an elliptical machine, a treadmill, a stationary bike and some freeweights. There's also a water dispenser and exercise towels in there. In one picture you'll see the water dispenser and two garbage cans (the staff should probably make it clear that one of the cans is presumably meant for used towels).
On the first floor you'll find the indoor pool which also has a hot tub on the far end. It's not big enough to do any meaningful laps, but at the same time the pool looks pretty comfortable on a cold winter's day. While I never saw a soul in the pool area during the mornings or evenings when I was coming and going to the office, I'm guessing the pool is completely swamped during high season with kids.
The breakfast area is also found on the first floor. The goodies on offer include yogurt and fresh fruit (apples and bananas), different kinds of bagels, muffins and cereals. In the small cooler next to the microwave oven you'll also find breakfast sandwiches and it looks like some kind of pancake-wrapped sausage, both of which you can nuke in the oven for a few seconds. Also hard boiled eggs and a waffle maker as well (I liked the cherry toppings for the waffles, but there's also a strawberry topping and whipped cream as well). Breakfast starts at 6:30 a.m. so if you're leaving earlier than that the next day, grab a sandwich and/or a yogurt and store it in your room's fridge, since all this stuff is padlocked up until 6:30 a.m. the next morning. There's also a small pantry across from the front desk and you'll find coolers with soda pop and other snack (soft drinks are $1.50 per can, which I thought was a wee bit excessive but oh well).
The hotel is about a 7 - 10 minute drive from downtown Traverse City and the waterfront, but very close (a minute or so, depending on traffic) from the Grand Traverse Mall (and movie theater) literally across the street. There's a Sam's Club next door and a Cracker Barrel restaurant a short distance in front.
Would I stay here again? Despite the incredibly friendly staff, my sleep wasn't really very sound because of the non-functional fan vent thing, so I'd probably say "no". The cost of my stay was less than $65 per night, since I did a bit of shopping around and found a cheaper rate than marriott.com on expedia (and if you do find a cheaper rate anywhere other than marriott.com, there's a "best rate guarantee" on marriott.com you can take advantage of). I wouldn't pay more than $80 per night in the winter (low) season and $150 per night in the touristy (high) summer season. There are plenty of area hotels to choose from, if you start your hotel hunt early enough.
Hopefully this information helps you out. And if you did find useful information in my review, please let me know by clicking the "Helpful" link down below. Have a great stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Your Favorite Traverse City Hotel to experience Pure Michigan! The Completely modern Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott is conveniently located in the epicenter of destination Corporate, Government, andLeisure Travelers coming to Traverse City. For Corporate Guest we are minutes to Munson Medical Center, Interlochen Center for Fine Arts, RJG, Sara Lee, Grand Traverse Mall, NMC University Center, and a host of our regions premier businesses. The Leisure Traveler will find us just down the road from Grand Traverse Bays, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and Old Mission/Leelanau Peninsula Wineries. Perfectly located around the finest golf, boating, snowmobiling, fishing, hiking, & nature site seeing in Pure Michigan. Large rooms, indoor pool/spa, free high-speed, complimentary breakfast,legendary guest service that makes you want to return. National Cherry Festival First Week of July 2010. Book now and experience the best hotel for the money in Pure Traverse City, located in Pure Michigan. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites Traverse City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn And Suites By Marriott Traverse City, Mi
- Fairfield Inn & Suites By Marriott Traverse City, Mi Hotel Traverse City
- Fairfield Inn Traverse City
- Fairfield Traverse City
- Traverse City Fairfield Inn