“Good Service”

Quality Inn By the Bay
Ranked #35 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed 2 August 2014

In looking at some of the many hotel reviews, I notice that many travelers leave scathing reviews for what they consider to be major problems - e.g., a hair on the bed, a cobweb in the corner of the bathroom, etc. If you want an absolute five-star experience, be prepared to pay. If you want a comfortable, fairly inexpensive room for the eight hours you'll be sleeping, give this place a try. It's not a luxury hotel, but I had a good experience.

I got a king bed suite, and the room was huge. The bathroom, in fact, was the largest bathroom I've ever had in any of my hotel stays.

I did have an issue with my keycard becoming demagnetized. However, Quality Inn turned a negative into a positive. Within minutes of the call to the front desk, the manager was at my door. It ended up that the battery pack inside the lock had gone dead. This was not anything anyone could have anticipated. The prompt and friendly service which speedily took care of this problem was impressive. The manager gave me her card, and I wish I would have kept it so I could mention her name here. It was Tuesday, July 29 around 5:00 p.m.

One hint, from the hours of 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., forget about making a left turn out of the hotel. The main drag becomes like a parking lot due to the sparse placement of traffic lights. If you need to go back into town, just take a right and turn around at the next traffic light. It's so much easier than trying to wait for a break in four lanes of traffic.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Peznbooks
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

We are very delighted to know you have enjoyed your stay and hope you will spread the news.

We thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a pretty average motel except the air conditioner was so noisy that I couldn't sleep, so I had to turn it off. Even when it was on the drapes blocked the air flow from cooling down the room. I could even hear the AC in the room next to me when it was on. Something was wrong with many AC units.

Otherwise the motel was okay, about average. The beds were comfortable enough and the room was good size as it had a round table and two chairs in addition to a desk and chair. There was an iron and board but no fridge. The sink is in the entrance hall, not in the bathroom.

The free continental breakfast was good: make your own waffles, poached eggs and sausage, cereal, fruit, yogurt, pastries, etc. They also have free cookies and fruit in the evening, and coffee 24/7.

The indoor pool is very small. Service was fine. Prices in the summer are ridiculously high ($270) but that is standard in Traverse City. It is beyond me how Traverse City motels can get these kinds of prices. The main attractions in the area are not in Traverse City, so I would stay in another city.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
ram33, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Your feedback is very important to us. We continually strive to provide exceptional guest service with clean & comfortable accommodations and rely on our guest’s feedback to make any changes needed to provide an enjoyable experience for each of our return & future guests.

I’m sorry that you experienced issues with your air conditioner and hope you had a chance to address this issue with my front desk staff so they could inform our maintenance department.

I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. We are completely aware of the excessive lodging choices available to guests visiting beautiful Traverse City and we cannot convey strongly enough how much we appreciate and value your choice of our hotel for your lodging needs. We will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Pamela Weisler
Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I can get over the lack of forks at the continental breakfast and the horrible internet service, but the room was disgusting, bedding was stained (all sheets and white comforters had numerous large and small stains on them). When we went to the front desk and requested comforters, we were told they didn't have any more comforters, only the thin fuzzy blankets(which we didn't take because the ones in the room smelled like a combination of smoke and urine). Thankfully, I brought one comforter with us, but have thrown it away as a precaution. I don't want anything that touched the floor of the hotel coming in my house. (I seriously considered throwing our clothes away, but washed them numerous times).

The room was incredibly warm and humid despite leaving the temp at 60 degrees the entire weekend, it never got cooler.

The bathroom was tiny(approx 4x4), I could touch the shower wall and the door at the same time. The towels were OLD, thin, very stained and dingy (honestly, I have cleaning rags that are nicer) and the gross, dirty shower curtain and mold along the floor made me wonder what disease might be lurking in there.

The carpet was GROSS!!!! Very, very dirty, old and stained and my shoes(I wouldn't walk on the floor without shoes) kept sticking to the gum on the floor beside our bed.

We asked for a refrigerator but we we're told they didn't have one available, which in retrospect I believe was a blessing since I can't imagine it would have been any cleaner than anything else we saw in the motel.

I was quoted $10 for a rollaway for the weekend when I called to inquire, but was told $10 night when we arrived and was actually charged $20 a night and had to call to ask for a credit when I saw the charges on my online banking. The man at the desk said "somehow" my account got charged twice for the roll away and asked if we had two rollaways in our room. Seriously, two??? The room could barely accommodate one!

The pool is tiny and the water was CLOUDY! The hot tub water was also cloudy! Thank goodness the beach was nearby. The stairway from the pool up to the second floor smelled like urine the whole weekend.

This place is disgusting!!! I've paid less money for much nicer hotels on the magnificent mile in Chicago. This hotel should be shut down!!

And, no, we didn't bother to complain about anything else after the lack of concern we received about wanting a comforter, and the way we saw another guy being treated who had checked in with his family and walked into a room with others already in it. Apparently the motel had double booked the room.

The state campground is right next to the motel and would definitely our choice over this motel the next time we can't find availability at other motels/hotels in the area. Now I know why this motel was the only place available in Traverse City-obviously others knew better than we did.

This motel is a $49/night motel at best, but definitely not the $650+ we paid for 3 nights.

Stayed: July 2014
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Lori N.,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. We apologize your experience did not start off on the right foot from the begining in regards to the comforters. In most cases we do have back up comforters to offer to our guests and I'm not certain why we did not have any to offer to you on this occasion. Please let it be known that the hotel and our housekeeping team takes pride in making sure we can offer a clean and comfortable rooms to all of our guests. We really wished you had the chance to bring all of these concerns to our attention while you were at the hotel. We would have made every effort to correct each concerns. The hotel never had the opportunity to do so. I had the pleasure of speaking with you over the phone when you called about the double billing of the rollaway in your room and you never mentioned anything about any of these concerns as well. I'm sorry you felt the room was way over priced but please rest assured that we try to be in line or even competitive with our rates in comparison to other hotels in the area. People will pay a higher rate during this time of year being that Traverse City is a resort town. According to your feedback it appears that your experience was a nightmare and we would never force anyone to stay in a room for 3 days as you described.

Raymond M.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The one (and only) reason we stayed here for three nights was that we could find no other accmodations within 100 miles. The room was clean, very outdated, didn't have a fridge, had a noisy connecting room which was anything but soundproof, had a shower that looked like it was from the 60's (as did the entire room), and I could go on and on. For the price - $299 for the first night, and $159 for the next two nights - one could reasonably expect a LOT more. Ridiculously overpriced for what it was worth. Desk people nice and etc. etc. Breakfast - pretty bad and we had to ASK for forks. OMG. The Wi-Fi was SLOW!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank koolbill
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. We are completely aware of the excessive lodging choices available to guests visiting beautiful Traverse City and we cannot convey strongly enough how much we appreciate and value your choice of our hotel for your lodging needs.

Raymond M.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I chose this Quality Inn for a 2 night stay because of the pet friendly reviews. It has not disappointed. Check in was easy and Cindy at the front desk was excellent explaining about services, available breakfast (which was very good - make your own waffles) and sausage, eggs, hard boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt and plenty of juice and coffee. Although the Inn is a little more basic/older than some higher end lodging, our stay was pleasant. I chose a room on the first floor making it easier to take our dog outside and room 132 located half way back from US 31 at the recommendation of TA reviews. Heard no outside noise, hallway noise or overhead noise but due to heat, had to run ac it was a little louder but fine. Just at the back end of the building is a paved trail which is great to walk, bike ride, jog. The Inn is located just next to the State Park and you can easily walk across the street to access the beautiful East Bay. Room had plenty of space so we could set up our crate to secure our dog while we were out of the room (they do ask that you let them know when you will be gone from the room in case you have a pet that is barking and disturbing others). All the staff we came in contact with were extremely helpful. If I had to make 1 suggestion, it's that they reseal a gap around the ac as it looked like the caulking needed replacement. Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have a dog, you might want a first floor room. The further back from the main lobby, the clo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed the past week and were suppose to stay 4 nights. The room was dirty stained towels and the general manager just wanted us to leave the hotel since we were not happy. We ended up only staying two nights and had to travel 20 minutes to find another place to stay since it was the week of Cherry Fest.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert K

Dear Valued Guest,

We apologize you did not have a good experience from the first night you checked into our hotel. We apologize that our housekeeping team missed a few items in the room you checked in. You spoked to the GM the following morning and indicated that you guys wanted to leave. The GM took 50% off your stay for the first night due the concerns and also gave you 1,000 points to go towards your Choice Priviliges account. You guys decided to stay another night and the reason why you did not stay the last two nights was that the GM did not offere to discount the rest of your stay. The issue only occured on the first night.

We are sorry you were not happy with the way the matter was handled.

Thank You.

Manager.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is an average hotel. Older and no view of anything, but clean and inexpensive. It backs up to a nice bike trail that we didn't know about and wish we had. But it is also right on US 31, a busy highway. A very nice gourmet deli is in walking distance, as well as a couple of nice restaurants. It was relatively quiet, with lots of families and a pool. Not the nicest place in TC, by any means, but certainly adequate, clean and safe.

Room Tip: the further back from the highway would be better.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Many guest enjoy the nice TART Trail that is adjacent to the rear of the hotel. It's used by walkers, runners, bikers, pet lovers and the like. The hotel constantly under goes update and renovations. We recently upgraded a brand nedw breakfast room, new 32" flat screen TV's, new beds in most rooms and new carpets on the ground floor rooms and halls. We hope you continue to see us so that you can see the channges made each time.

We thank you in again for sharing your experience and look forward to seeing you again soon.