“Beware of room 117” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Beware of room 117”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel really tries and does a lot of things right. But the night we spent here we slept only about 2 hours. We were placed in room 117, which is located right next to the pool and a stairwell. Plus right next to the door to the inner corridor is the ice and vending machines. The night we spent they were also housing a bachelorette party and a number of families with kids who thundered up and down the steps until midnight. Then, at 1:30 or so the bachelorettes came in and proceeded to have long drunken conversations by the vending machines. We did call the front desk but by the time they were able to check it out the offenders were long gone, only to be replaced with a new crop an hour later. That room should only be rented out to people who are sound sleepers and who have been warned. I paid $270 for the privilege.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JustSix
ram33, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our on-line survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We appreciate the positive comment about the hotel really trying & doing a lot of things right. We do strive to provide an exceptional experience for our guests.

We have had other guest that like that room and haven’t had any issue, so I was sorry to hear that you did not experience a restful night. I thank you for contacting the front desk so my staff could check out the noise issues and try to get them stopped. During this time of year when the hotel is 90%-100% full, it does make it challenging to try to spread people out around the hotel.

We hope that you will come stay with us again.

Pam W.
GSM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Haslett, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Agree with two recent comments, "Overpriced and dirty" and "Definitely not Quality"........Agree and should have viewed Tripadvisor comments.....

Recommend Red Roof Inn and Motel 6 over this Hotel or the small Local Motels V.S. this Quality Inn Hotel.

Way overpriced for the value received. Greedy Management Policy does not work for me.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. We are completely aware of the excessive lodging choices available to guests visiting beautiful Traverse City and we cannot convey strongly enough how much we appreciate and value your choice of our hotel for your lodging needs.

Raymond M.

Travellers are raving about these Traverse City hotels

Columbus
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Upon our arrival, we used the sink. It had not been cleaned. There was soap scum on the vanity. In addition, there was human hair inside the sink and on the counter. For $187.59 a night, that is deplorable; we expected a clean room. The two chairs in the room were stained as well. It looked like water stains perhaps from someone sitting down in a wet bathing suit, regardless, it is gross. The front desk clerk was helpful and friendly. This hotel needs some assistance with housekeeping.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Josielynnlouise
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, 12 August 2014

Raymond M.
Plymouth, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

First I have to say the desk staff that checked me in was great. They did the best they could for me with a situation mix up with my reservation...however that hasbeen the ONLY good thing here.

I understand it is the height of travel season in Traverse and hotels are overbooked and full...but.

1. My reservation was made thru my company. I HAD a reservation AND a confirmation code. You can't check in before 3. I arrived at 7:30 only to learn my reservation had been cancelled at 6pm becuase I had not checked in yet (a 3 hour window to check in but I have to gove the hotel 48 hours notice to not be charged if I cancel???) and when they ran the credit card on the reservation *which I made 3 months ago, it declined as the card was "expired".

2. They gave my room away - and the hotel was FULL

3. They found me a room.. Also becuase my reservation ws cancelled, instead of $141 complete rate I had, my rate was now $179 - that is BEFORE the taxes.

4. Should I cry? The room - so horribly outdated. and outdated I can handle but poor quality and 1970 polyesther looking "fake crocet" baby poo yellow bedspreads, I can live without. Also the AC is so loud you cannot hear the TV, there are cobwebs and dead bugs and dust EVERYWHERE. The toilet was clean but the seat was left up...hmmm...what does that mean? No fridge, no microwave. A 1/2"gap between the door that leads to the parking lot...did I mention the rooms have 2 doors? one to a commoon hallway and one to the parking. Convenient to carry things in but the door gap lets in heat and bugs and light and noise.

5. the door to the common hallway - the extra safety lock will not flip closed.

6. Stains everywhere on the carrpet

7. It smells dusty and like old people smell - you know a touch like moth balls. Also, its muggy in here and the AC keeps cutting out because its literally 6 inches or less from the bed and it gets that small area so cold that it thinks its ok to shut off becuase it thinks it is cold in the room when its really only the 6 inch gap that is cool.

8. Not the hotel's fault but rude people. I wanted to fill my ice bucket. Lady in front of me filled 7 gallon size zip locks full of ice then tried to fill her ice bucket too but wait - no more ice - SHE USED IT ALL and to top it off, did not even offer to let me fill my bucket with one of her bags. She could not have been going anywhere with it - its was 11pm - oh wait - no fridges so she probably needed it for a cooler to keep stuff ok overnight.

9. Hard beds - pillows that squash to nothingness instantly and are more like the size of a couch throw pillow than a regular standard bed pillow.

10. I am watching an ant, a mosquito and a tiny spider crawl on the light by the bed right now - they came in from the gap in the door I am sure.

This is Traverse City and you have 100 rooms paying $200 a night and MINIMAL staff. Buy some new bedspreads, update the carpet and DUST BETTER and fix the gaps in the steel entry doors to the outside. That is all I ask, I don;t need it to e top of the line resort quaility or even a 3 star but the above are just unacceptable. I will never stay here again. Heck I am afraid to try to fall asleep - and probably cant as the AC is so loud and without it its 85 degrees in here even though its 55 outside.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Annette A
Dear Valued Guest:

Please accept my sincere apology regarding the disappointment you experienced during your stay with us at the Traverse City Quality Inn. It is our commitment to provide our guests with clean, comfortable lodging in a well-maintained and genuinely hospitable atmosphere.

Each member of my staff is dedicated to ensuring that our guest’s experience is more than just a pleasant stay, while with us we are devoted to providing service that offers exceptional hospitality. When we fail in this endeavor, as we have on your behalf, it is important for you to know, as our guest, that it is taken quite seriously.

We are completely aware of the excessive lodging choices available to guest’s visiting the Traverse City area and cannot convey strongly enough how much we value your choice of our property for your stay.

Again, I apologize for falling short in performing as we should, and hope in the future you will allow us another opportunity to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable.

Thank you for your time and consideration with regard to this matter.

Traverse City Quality Inn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We were looking for a less expensive option for our trip to Traverse City. This was a comfortable place for a couple of nights. The room was clean. The bathroom was small, but adequate. The staff was always friendly. The kids loved the pool. It is relatively small and only four feet deep. The hot tub was nice. The breakfast was good. The one staff person charged with keeping it stocked had her hands full when it was busy, but she kept a smile on her face. The decor was dated. Very much out of a home interiors catalog. The rollaway bed was pretty uncomfortable for our oldest. The younger kids didn't mind it. We left happy with our stay.

Stayed August 2014
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Your feedback is very important to us. We continually strive to provide exceptional guest service with clean & comfortable accommodations and rely on our guest’s feedback to make any changes needed to provide an enjoyable experience for each of our return & future guests.

We thank you in again for sharing your experience and look forward to seeing you again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

In looking at some of the many hotel reviews, I notice that many travelers leave scathing reviews for what they consider to be major problems - e.g., a hair on the bed, a cobweb in the corner of the bathroom, etc. If you want an absolute five-star experience, be prepared to pay. If you want a comfortable, fairly inexpensive room for the eight hours you'll be sleeping, give this place a try. It's not a luxury hotel, but I had a good experience.

I got a king bed suite, and the room was huge. The bathroom, in fact, was the largest bathroom I've ever had in any of my hotel stays.

I did have an issue with my keycard becoming demagnetized. However, Quality Inn turned a negative into a positive. Within minutes of the call to the front desk, the manager was at my door. It ended up that the battery pack inside the lock had gone dead. This was not anything anyone could have anticipated. The prompt and friendly service which speedily took care of this problem was impressive. The manager gave me her card, and I wish I would have kept it so I could mention her name here. It was Tuesday, July 29 around 5:00 p.m.

One hint, from the hours of 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., forget about making a left turn out of the hotel. The main drag becomes like a parking lot due to the sparse placement of traffic lights. If you need to go back into town, just take a right and turn around at the next traffic light. It's so much easier than trying to wait for a break in four lanes of traffic.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Peznbooks
Dear Valued Guest,

We are very delighted to know you have enjoyed your stay and hope you will spread the news.

We thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a pretty average motel except the air conditioner was so noisy that I couldn't sleep, so I had to turn it off. Even when it was on the drapes blocked the air flow from cooling down the room. I could even hear the AC in the room next to me when it was on. Something was wrong with many AC units.

Otherwise the motel was okay, about average. The beds were comfortable enough and the room was good size as it had a round table and two chairs in addition to a desk and chair. There was an iron and board but no fridge. The sink is in the entrance hall, not in the bathroom.

The free continental breakfast was good: make your own waffles, poached eggs and sausage, cereal, fruit, yogurt, pastries, etc. They also have free cookies and fruit in the evening, and coffee 24/7.

The indoor pool is very small. Service was fine. Prices in the summer are ridiculously high ($270) but that is standard in Traverse City. It is beyond me how Traverse City motels can get these kinds of prices. The main attractions in the area are not in Traverse City, so I would stay in another city.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ram33, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I’m sorry that you experienced issues with your air conditioner and hope you had a chance to address this issue with my front desk staff so they could inform our maintenance department.

I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. We are completely aware of the excessive lodging choices available to guests visiting beautiful Traverse City and we cannot convey strongly enough how much we appreciate and value your choice of our hotel for your lodging needs. We will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Pamela Weisler