This has become one of our favorite hotels in the US midwest, although we discovered it purely by chance.
When we travel we're generally looking for fun exercise, great places to visit and interesting food. The traverse city area has all of these in abundance and the Bayshore resort is perfectly located.
The cycling (which we mostly do on vacation) is outstanding (TART trail to Suttons Bay, Peninsula circuit, VASA trail and many more road routes) and the hotel is well positioned for getting onto all these trails. It's also only a couple of blocks from some great bicycles stores (eg McClain). After a day's biking we really enjoyed the hotel's large pool and hot tub for relaxing before dinner - there's an OK exercise room as well but we didn't generally find we needed this as the weather was fine.
The hotel is perhaps the only one we've found in the area with beach-front rooms that have large balconies overlooking the bay (definitely go for the beach front rooms) that is also within a short walking distance of downtown. The downtown part of TC with its diverse restaurants is around a 10 minute walk away and perhaps 4 minutes by bicycle. You could drive, but the walk by the lakeshore is a treat especially after dinner. On our latest visit we discovered lunch at 'little Fleet' and the exceptional tasting dishes at 'Northern Natural Cider House and Winery' - both are only a short walk from the hotel. Of course there are many more microbreweries (North Peak, Mackinaw, Craft work, Filling station), restaurants and bakeries in the downtown area, but our favorite place to visit became the village at grand traverse commons. This is slightly further away (maybe 15 muntes by bike, 10 minutes by car) but well worth the trip if only for the wonderful historic buildings. The Mercato at the village is a half mile long ramble through a historic building crammed with craft stores, restaurants etc and well worth several visits (we recommend the Blackstar farms tasting room for its cheese plate and wine selection).
Outside of town are the sleeping bear dunes (take the Pierce Stocking Drive route), historic fishtown, the Leyland wineries, the peninsula wineries, etc, etc. We hired a car for one day and managed to get to a few but not all of these.
While we really like this hotel for its excellent location, it was also great in general. Spacious and quiet rooms (particularly on the top floor), exceptionally friendly staff, useful airport courtesy shuttle, lots of choice in the free breakfast, a great sandy beach. We enjoyed our visit immensely.
The only thing I'd suggest is that the standard (non-suite) rooms have large comfy beds, but no comfy chairs. If you stay for a week or more, the wooden furniture can become tiring, especially after a long day of driving/bicycling.
Tip for those visiting: if you have a few bugs on your balcony in the morning consider turning off the balcony light (there's a switch underneath). If you don't then the light will automatically come on late at night and can attract bugs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether you are ready for a romantic relaxing getaway or simply enthusiastically wanting to indulge your sense of adventure, you can do it here at Bayshore Resort! Our Victorian style hotel is nestled on the beach of West Grand Traverse Bay and offers the best of all you love about Traverse City - a great waterfront location and a short stroll away from downtown with its diverse dining, shopping, and nightlife. Bayshore Resort has the perfect room to fit the specific needs of every guest from amazing views to Spa Rooms, Suites, and more! Our complimentary Wi-Fi makes it convenient to mix business with pleasure. Join us every morning for a fresh, complimentary breakfast before spending the day on our private beach, taking a swim in the large indoor pool, or venturing out to explore the charming shops and restaurants that the area has to offer. Taking a day trip couldn’t be easier as it is only a short drive to the area’s elegant wineries, exciting casinos and exceptional Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, Hotels.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Bayshore Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayshore Hotel Traverse City
- Bayshore Resort Traverse City
- Bayshore Traverse City