“Best place to spend time in Michigan during the summer.”
Review of Traverse City

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Detroit, Michigan
1 helpful vote
“Best place to spend time in Michigan during the summer.”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

If your vacationing in Michigan or you live there, Traverse City is the pinnacle of "Pure Michigan". The grand traverse bay is outlined with sandy beaches and great hotels and resorts to stay during the summer months. The city proper is a culinary destination with an assortment of different food genres and amazing sea food dishes. I would highly recommend to Apache Trout restaurant with is delicious food and stunning views of the bay. Traverse City is also know locally for its wineries, the old mission peninsula is lines with some terrific wineries. Chateau Chantal for instance is perched on the top of a hill where you can taste award winning wines while you enjoy breath taking panoramic views of the bay and vineyards below.
If Wine is not your thing, there are some fantastic breweries in the area, like North Peak, Mackinaw Brewing Co., and Left Brain. So If your heading to northern Michigan I would highly recommend staying at least a few days in traverse city.

1 Thank NSolomon
Brooklyn, NY
29 helpful votes
“Beautiful scenery but choose wisely”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I visited in August 2010. I'd been to Traverse City as a child and wanted to see if it was as beautiful as I remembered.
The good news is yes, the surrounding area is great. The Sleeping Bear Dunes in particular are amazing, along with their nearby beaches.
Some caveats: just about any "beachfront" cottage that isn't actually located on the western shore of Lake Michigan is going to be situated on a small lake or one of the bays of Traverse City, and the water just isn't swimmable. The bottom is very silty and beneath the slimy silt are lots and lots of rocks, some with jagged edges. If you're looking for a waterfront cottage to enjoy gorgeous views, then go ahead, but if you actually want to be able to swim at a moment's notice, you need to rent something west of Traverse City on Lake Michigan proper, or be prepared to drive to a proper beach.
Forget about getting a decent cup of coffee. They pride themselves on their local roast but it is quite tasteless and watery. Other than that we had good dining experiences. As always, the fresh local perch is to die for!
Sadly, the townsfolk have bought into the hype and gotten a tad snooty. Their sole Irish pub is cold and dark and below ground and they don't do a good job of pouring Guinness.
The various lighthouses are well worth visiting and the schooner sail is fun - very nice crew.
In short, if I returned again, I would rent something on the Michigan shore and visit the town from there.

2 Thank SpecialK718
Charlevoix, Michigan
43 helpful votes
“Playing Tourist”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Every now and then you need to stop and play tourist in your home town. My daughter and I did just that this past weekend. We spent all day in our town of Traverse City. What an excellent day. We toured the farmers market in the morning everyone was very freindly. We went downtown just over the river and all the shops were bustling with shoppers on vacation. Every where we went people in the shops were warm and courteous. Traverse City is a great getaway for a weekend or a week. There is something going on always. Some kind of festival or event and being right on some of the softest beaches in the world what more could you ask for. Believe me if you are a beach dweller I have been around the world and have not set foot in any softer sand and nicer water than the great lakes and Lake Michigan and Grand Traverse Bay are at the top of that list.

1 Thank sabastian69
Bengaluru, India
29 helpful votes
“very nice place for a vacation”
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We went to traverse city for the easter weekend and had a great time.

We went fishing with Capt Walkowiak of primetime fishing charters. This was our first fishing experience and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We ended up catching four lake trout. One of these, we gave to JP's hard luck dinner, who broiled it for us. I have only seen these kind of things on the travel channel, so this was amazing.

The next day we checked out the huge sand dunes near Empire, followed by some cherry wine tasting at the Cherry republic. I would also highly recommend their cherry salsa. Finally, we drove to the tip of the old peninsula to visit the old mission light house.

All in all, a most memorable trip. One that I would highly recommend

TRAVERSE CITY
65 helpful votes
“There's something for everyone in Traverse City, MI”
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Traverse City is located in northwestern Michigan at the foot of Grand Traverse Bay. There is so much to tell about,
Ask Midwest Magazine who named it the second best foodie town in the Midwest.
Ask the golfers who enjoy the championship golf courses.
Ask wine lovers who find northern Michigan wines among their favorites.
Ask the folks who love water sports: swimming,fishing, boating, parasailing, waterskiing. We have it all.
Ask art lovers. Our artist community is gaining notice for it's variety and high quaility of artists and their medium.
Ask hikers and bikers who enjoy our TART trail.
Ask people who love festivals. We have them: The Cherry Festival, over July 4; the Film Festival the last week of July; the Comedy Fest in mid February are the big three. There are also lots of microbrew fests, art festivals, and wine tasting festivals.
Ask people who love farm markets; we have year around markets.
Ask people who love performing arts: visit the Opera House or Interlochen Arts Acadamy; attend the performances of our high school students.
Ask people who love to ski, skate, snowmobile. We have trails and resorts for you.
Ask people who love museums: Northwestern Michigan College has a fabulous Dennos Museum. The Music House east of town is famous for its collection of musical instruments.
We also have a great Children's Museum.
Ask people who love gambling. We have two casinos within 15 miles of Traverse City.
Ask shoppers: our main street is one of the best in Michigan; we have antique stores and malls too.
Ask people who just love clean, small, safe towns that just happen to be beautiful as well. This is what Traverse City is.

2 Thank lynn57

Been to Traverse City? Share your experiences!