“FOOD WAS TASTY BUT.....”
Review of Ocean Prime

Ocean Prime
Reserve with OpenTable
Ocean Prime is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 284 Restaurants in Troy
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Big Beaver
Description: OCEAN PRIME is a modern American restaurant and lounge from renowned restaurateur Cameron Mitchell. Voted “Best in Troy” by the Troy Chamber of Commerce and “Best Seafood” by Ambassador magazine, OCEAN PRIME Troy delivers an extraordinary dining experience to guests. Located at the intersection of Big Beaver Road and Coolidge Highway across from the Somerset Collection shopping center, it’s the perfect choice for cocktails, a power lunch or an indulgent dinner. Stunning settings and a vibrant energy, an impressive menu of seafood and prime cuts of steak, signature cocktails, a Wine Spectator-honored wine list and truly genuine hospitality make OCEAN PRIME Troy an ideal place to socialize, talk business, celebrate and indulge.
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Let me start by saying that this isn't my first trip to Ocean Prime on a Saturday night. They have a pianist in the corner singing songs ranging from Prince to Johnny Cash and he was quite enjoyable!! The waitress was initially inattentive to my friend and I- perhaps because we were not dressed up in our Sunday best, we had on gym clothes! We sat down and a busboy came and gave us water and the popcorn with truffle oil and he left. Finally we had to actually ASK for menus and upon bringing them she acknowledged us and took our drink order. As always, amaretto sour double for me and my friend had a black orchid. The drinks were ok- nothing to write home about. The amaretto sour was filled to the brim with ice and the black orchid although beautiful had a huge golf ball sized round ice cube in it which technically gave us each a half a drink. Our second round of drinks was better because she skipped the orchid and I asked for less ice which resulted in a warmer drink than i would have preferred but it just needed to sit momentarily. We ordered a surf and turf appetizer which tasted wonderful- scallops and short ribs with a tablespoon of mashed potatoes. Small portion but just enough for two. I ordered an 8oz filet with a blue cheese crust and zip sauce which was cooked perfectly medium, my friend ordered tuna tartar and enjoyed it thoroughly and we ordered three sides to split- candied yams with marshmallows, a twice baked potato with bacon and cheddar (don't understand how you can go wrong with THIS??), and creamed spinach with bacon which was arguably the best part of the meal!! The spinach had a smoky flavor and was wonderful and it was the ONLY leftover thing I took home! All that being said the steak was not nearly as good as Morton's nor Cameron's, twice baked potato tasted like any regular one you could get at the grocery store (they were nice enough to remove it from the bill), the candied yams weren't quite as I remember them before, they seemed only half prepared because there was a pool of butter in the bottom of the dish and they were cut in chunks which weren't totally soft and the marshmallows seemed overdone. I can honestly say the food was still pretty tasty overall but the fact that we were initially ignored annoyed me- top that off with the fact that my friend lives only ten minutes away and by the time we drove home my heart was racing from the salt and we were both running for the bathroom and perhaps you may want to think twice about going there...

2  Thank divaoffdexter

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

One of the best atmosphere's with very good service. The food was good and priced at the level you would expect for a place of this stature.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Had dinner a couple days ago. Excellent food, attentive waiters but bring your money. Had a bit of trouble bringing out all appetizers at once but speedy for take home dessert

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was extremely excited to try this restaurant out. The place itself was beautiful and there was a very nice atmosphere, but the food was subpar.

1  Thank Lyndsey G
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We eat at ocean prime twice a year and the food is generally good. Last week, I took a couple friends and racked up a bill of almost $400. I planned on paying a portion of the bill with a gift card from my sister, but forgot to bring the gift card. Instead, I paid for the entire bill on my American Express.

Yesterday, I went back to the restaurant to apply the gift card to the bill but was first told that they do not do this. I asked to see the manager and was told I would need to wait 10 minutes. When the manager, Greg Sage finally appeared, he was not willing to apply the gift card first citing they did not know how to do it. When finally pressed, he told me he was not willing to do this - not even for customer satisfaction reasons.

Ocean Prime serves good food but appears to lost sight to the every day customers, valuing profit and convenience over customer satisfaction.

2  Thank mcmatt2014

Been to Ocean Prime? Share your experiences!