“Excellent value, will stay again”

Red Roof Inn Detroit Troy
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Hamilton
“Excellent value, will stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

I chose this property based on Tripadvisor reviews, which for a discount hotel chain seemed very high across the board. We were not disappointed at all, and the price can't be beat.

The check-in was pleasant and quick, taking three minutes. The front desk clerk was very helpful and prompt. The room was exactly as promised, and was either brand new or meticulously cleaned, or both. The king bed was comfortable, the bathroom was spotless and new, towels were good. The TV was easy to use and had an array of channels including HBO.

We chose a king room with a fridge and microwave, and both were spotless and clean. The room seemed to be geared to the business traveller, and had a very large L-shaped desk with a great lamp, and a fully adjustable office chair. The room was one of the largest king bed rooms I've stayed in.

I was suprised when the top drawer under the TV had a wireless keyboard! Apparently you can access the internet and other services using this keyboard and the TV. The rooms also had WIFI which worked well.

Another great feature is a noon checkout, and a 1pm check-in. Very convenient.

The only shortfall was that the heat tended to cycle off and on frequently, and the only other nitpick was the need for a soapdish!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Viognier9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Hilton Head
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

This hotel was recommended by Custom Music International in Ferndale, MI. We were visiting from South Carolina to test out and possibly buy a new B&S tuba for my son who is a college freshman. We were apprehensive not only about visiting Michigan in January, but also staying at a budget hotel. The reviews on trip advisor were favorable and the rates thru the Red Roof Inn site were fantastic.......$39.99 for the first night, $19.99 for the second night and $9.99 for the third night. Wow! So we decided to give it a try.

We booked the Superior King room and it was spotless. I did my usual bedbug check of the mattress before bringing in my suitcase. It looked spotless too. We had a microwave, safe and mini-fridge in the room. No hairdryer or clothes iron, but you can borrow them from the front desk. No coffee maker in room but they have free coffee at all hours in the little lobby. There is a snack machine, soda machine and ice machine, but no guest laundry. The front desk and maid service were helpful and polite. I also saw people walking dogs, so the hotel must be pet friendly. The wireless is free and I had no trouble with my VPN connection. The only downside really was that the beds could have used a layer of memory foam and some additional blankets. We were provided with one thin blanket and a nylon bedspread. The heat worked great, but we would rather keep the room cool and bundle up with cozy blankets. I guess I should have asked the front desk for more blankets.

It snowed a couple of inches everyday, but the roads were clear. One night, we went to the Somerset Collection Mall, a huge upscale mall, for dinner and shopping. The next night we saw a movie and had dinner in Royal Oak which was a lovely town with lots of restaurants.

Overall, this was a great trip. The people in Detroit are wonderful.....friendly, helpful and genuine.

The airport was pretty awesome too...clean and modern, although the full body scan scared me to death! But it was no big deal after all. Security is tight...which it needs to be to keep us all safe. The woman before me was patted down after the full body scan, my son had his back pockets patted down and security took the guy in front of me away for a few minutes. Be sure your pockets are empty and your shoes/belt/jewelry are off and sent separately through Xray scanner! They also had random ID checks before boarding the aircraft.

Overall, I would recommend the Red Roof Inn in Troy as great budget hotel option.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 1WS
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

This inn looks great and is a tremendous value, but I almost left over a serious staff error BUT thanks to a customer service superstar of a general manager, not only did I stay but this is my choice for Red Roof Inn's in northern-Detroit area!

As a business traveler, I stayed at Red Roof of Troy earlier this spring and also a few years back. This Red Roof was always clean, but has needed a bit of updating for a few years. As of my stay ending today, I can say that it is almost like a completely new hotel! I took advantage of their Detroit winter special and stayed in a Superior King (also known as All-Inclusive King rooms in other locations). The room featured Red Roof's new soft contemporary furnishings and room design. This includes a refrigerator, microwave and digital-safe (including INSURANCE) all smartly space-planned into an entertainment/dresser area. The room is also outfitted with a sleek workspace that features a round desk-end that can double as a cafe-style dining table, a task lamp with extra plugs and modem port, an ergonomic executive-style desk chair, and a stylish fabric-covered lounge chair. The bathroom area remains small, but is of good decor featuring faux-hardwood floords and easily made up for with a large vanity area. The bed area features two cantilevered side tables cleverly built into the a headboard, executive alarm-clock, a comfortable king-sized mattress, and modern and fashionable bedcoverings. Rounded out with posh carpeting and tasteful window coverings and accessories, a person would easily mistake this single room for being a higher-price hotel suite! Coupled with the free WiFi and easy accessibility to shopping and business nearby, this is an amazing value!

As with all hotels, there are a few things to polish up. I've stayed at other Red Roofs in Michigan; it is becoming my preferred brand. All the rooms I've encountered could use built-in hair dryers and, if possible as an investment, updated flat-screen televisions with video ports. Otherwise, as far as the rooms and the property itself, nearly perfect! And, on this particular stay, the staff was professional and amenable (though they could warm-up a bit more in their interactions with customers). Unfortunately, they did miss the special requests that were sent with my reservation, so I had to request them again at check-in. Not really a big deal, and perhaps the staff people were just busy the times I interacted with them.

A more serious issue did pop-up later in the stay, but was handled professionally by the management - and then later, my customer service expectations were WAY surpassed! I had to stop by front-desk to request a "Do Not Disturb" sign as my room did not have one. The front desk staff person could not find any, so she said she would put one on the room and put a note in the system not to enter the room while I was gone. Unfortunately, this didn't happen, and the room was entered by housekeeping against my wishes - and I had left gifts in the room instead of my car and accidentally left the safe unlocked! Though my items were left untouched and the room was straightend up around them, I was very upset and was immediately put through to the general manager - who assured me of the professionalism of her staff and assured that if anything was missing as a result, it would be taken care of. I almost left that day, but the manager was understanding and handled the issue with care. The rest of the stay went without a problem, but I will admit I was a little upset that management didn't offer at least a discount, as Red Roof guarantees a hassle-free stay.

Well, I shouldn't have worried, because today, that general manager took the opportunity to more than make up for it. I have a late-day meeting, but am not sure I will need a room after that. I called to see if a day-rate or late check-out was available, even for a cost. The front desk person told me that 12:30 PM was the latest they could offer today; I took it and planned to kill some time for several hours. But before I could walk away from the phone, the general manager called back. She had intercepted the call from my room, and called back to offer a 6pm check-out at no additional charge. I was amazed and this general manager is such a customer service superstar that I wanted to share the incident and the moment - it really shows how far Red Roof has come!

As a result of her service, I will stay at the Red Roof of Troy again without question, unless one of the overpriced three and four-star hotels in the area suddenly decide to compete and come down in price - which is unlikely. The Red Roof of Troy is an amazing value, and almost like staying in a three-star hotel anyway, so I probably won't even look elsewhere for awhile. The service standards are great, the rooms are excellent, and the management is exceptional. And the prices and specials are near impossible to find elsewhere in the area. In short, STAY HERE IF YOU CAN!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank iamjbo
Plymouth, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

The staff here are always very friendly and will do all they can to help you with your needs. They are a Pet Friendly Hotel and they don't charge for your pets to stay. They could use a little more updating but really it's a great place to stay for the price.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

Based on TA reviews we selected to stay here for a night on our way from New York State to Wisconsin. We arrived late on a hot, humid, buggy night, but it was just fine for a brief evening and return to the road the next morning. Good rates, clean, and perfect location for us.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

the hotel was great. The room was very clean. the only problem both times i stayed was the desk clerk monica. She was very rude dont know if i woke her up both time i checked in after 1am. her appearence was just awful.. her shirt looked like she had slept in it for days her pants well she had on a cream colored pair of shorts and white tennis shoes. i really dont think this is a good look for a work place. the desk clerk that checked me out in the mornig was very pleasent and well dressed for her job. overall the hotel was very nice. the next time i stay ill make sure to check in when monica is not working!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

This is a good choice if you're looking for a cheap place to spend a night. it's clean and recently renovated, and the beds are very comfortable as cheap motel beds go.

The one thing that I had a big problem with is the extra $1.50 they add to your bill for use of the safe. They add it whether you use the safe or not, and if you don't use the safe, you have to ask them to take it off your bill at checkout, or else call the hotel later and ask them to remove it. This is obnoxious, clearly just a way to nickel and dime customers. Also, it would have been nice to have hair dryers in the rooms.

Other than that though, I had a good stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo