“3 night stay for a conference”

Homewood Suites Detroit Troy
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Indianapolis, Indiana
“3 night stay for a conference”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My check in was quick and cordial. The hotel was clean, quiet, and well maintained. Since my conference was at a different hotel, I was not at the Homewood much, but I did grab a yogurt/juice in the morning before heading out. The breakfast area was normal for a Homewood, and the breakfast staff was friendly. I also used the fitness center treadmills, and they were good. The location was convenient to fast food, restaurants, and I75. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Korean first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 17 June 2014

- very nice staff (everybody)
- breakfast selection contains unsweetened oatmeal/ semolina/ etc, fresh fruit, and yoghurt (incl Activia - my favorite) so it is good if you want to eat healthy/ fit; However, after 2 weeks I was craving for something different, so I would skip breakfast from time to time and eat elsewhere
- large rooms with kitchenette/ fridge, very comfortable for extended stays (i have been there for 3,5weeks)
- dinners in the evening, although i have only had something twice, usually salad, but it is a good option, considering that the hotel does not have a restaurant
- small shop in the hotel, although Walmart is just 100m away
- large parking area
- gym - basic (a weight bar would be a good addition), but sufficient for 3-4 people being in the same room at once (it was getting "crowded" from time to time)
- swimming pool, although small and usually full of screaming kids :)
- just few miles off I75, so a good commute to Detroit downtown (unless there is traffic)
- good selection of TV channels, although only in English/ Spanish/ Korean. No European channels though :(
However:
- as a European i am not used to having carpets everywhere, there were not always clean on the corridors and in elevators and staircases, it is something I guess one needs to get used to
- the hotel needs maybe a bit of renovation, sometimes you could smell something mouldy in the staircase and in the room
- the dry cleaning service is fast, but t some of my clothes lost color (especially white)
- it happened that housekeeping left used paper towels or used dishwasher powder box in my room on the table

Overall I was happy with the stay, just being there too long can be a bit monotonous.

Room Tip: If kids' noise disturbs you, try to get a room that does not face the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AMK2552
Southwest Gulf Coast, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The staff at this hotel were great. Breakfast was fine, while I did not eat the nightly dinner, I did have a glass of wine and that was nice. One problem was the room I was given had a musty, moldy smell.

The other problem--and this is a big one, was that the elevator was down for one entire day, Why couldn't I just use the steps you may ask? Well, it took quite a while to find the steps. In fact, I went down a hallway and back, then down another and back trying to find the steps. I was all turned around when two men asked if I knew where the steps were. Turns out they were the guys working on the elevator. So, what would happen if there was a fire? I can only imagine pure chaos. If I couldn't find a way downstairs and to an exit in pure daylight, what would happen in darkness and smoke? I know this is a worst case scenario but it had me a little worried. I even checked the window from my second floor room and, nope, couldn't have gotten out that way either unless I was able to break the window.

Something to consider.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kfitz84
HomewoodSuitesTroy, General Manager at Homewood Suites Detroit Troy, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hello,

We apologize for the very unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. Our guests’ health and safety is very important to us and is always a focal point of our property operations. We appreciate that you brought this to our attention and are working to make sure the problem is addressed. We’re also sorry for the bad smell you experienced during your stay. We understand that travel is very important and try to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We hope you will consider staying with us In the future.

Melissa
Akron, OH, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Hotel was clean, up to date. Pool was warm. Breakfast and managers reception were more than we expected. reception offered nice selection of drinks and the snacks were basically a full dinner. Walmart and Marshalls plus many other retailers are just a large parking lot away- a plus if need anything last minute items

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Our boys had a football tournament at Ford Field over Memorial Day weekend. We stayed at your hotel for 2 nights. It was the best accomodations we ever had! Extremely comfortable, very clean, roomy...loved the courtyard with the grills which came in super handy. Staff was super friendly...Kia at the front desk as well as many others at the desk. The custodian was very accomodating while we were poolside; kitchen staff was awesome about every request (like filling up my ginormous water bottle with ice and water several times!)...Really great experience! Thank you! Marcy S. of the NFL Raiders

Room Tip: Ask to be near the pool if you have kids!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Troy, United States
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Troy (MI) Homewood Suites goes out of their way to make sure that you are well taken care of in your home away from home. The staff took special steps to treat us like family. We always felt like the Managers' Reception was a private experience for us, based on the personal touches from the staff. Our overall experience at the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel was just want we were looking for when our family took a trip to Detroit. Having the in room kitchenette and suit is perfect when traveling with little ones. The staff was very friendly even providing take away containers for the complimentary breakfast. The rooms were clean and roomy. One thing to be aware of is the the small air field located next door. Although it ended up being highly entertaining for our child.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troy
Candlewood Suites Detroit - Troy
Hampton Inn & Suites Detroit / Troy
Drury Inn & Suites Detroit Troy
The Townsend Hotel
The Townsend Hotel
#1 of 2 in Birmingham
Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Troy
Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit - Troy/Auburn Hills

Been to Homewood Suites Detroit Troy? Share your experiences!