“Great find, delicious food”

Ashoka Indian Quisine
Ranked #94 of 279 Restaurants in Troy
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Great find, delicious food”
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

A friend recommended this nearby restaurant. We love Indian food and have been going to Rangoli in Auburn Hills, MI. Rangoli is highly rated and wins awards for Indian restaurants in the Detroit area. I was interested to see how this place compared.
It is located in a small strip mall near a number of other small ethnic restaurants. It is a little hard to find, but the sign is large enough to see from the road.
First impression: Indian people eat here - a good sign. Very friendly service. They were understanding that we had to wait over 15 minutes to order because we were waiting for friends to arrive. The menu has a good selection of items in all categories, chicken, lamb, beef, and vegetarian. We noted that they had items were have not seen at Rangoli. They will spice your food to preference. I got chicken korma which was a little better than the one at Rangoli. My husband got chicken tikka and liked it very much. You can order ala carte or with smaller dishes with vegetables, sweet chopped carrots for desserts. Either choice comes with ample servings of rice and fluffy naan. I found the naan was better than Rangoli.
Note: Like Rangoli, they offer Indian-Chinese dishes. I have not tried these dishes at either restaurant so I can not comment on the taste.
I would give this place a 4.5 for the following reasons. 1) paper placemats on the table. 2) very plain décor and quite crowded (we came at 7 pm) with overly small tables. Three of us ordered our food with the extra dishes and we hardly had room to eat. We had to find spaces at the corners.
Note: we left about 8:30 pm and saw that the restaurant was getting very busy with people waiting for tables. Apparently people come to eat late here. Several comments in Yelp stated that reservations should be made. We did not make them but apparently came a little early for their regular crowd.
It compares very well with Rangoli.

Visited February 2014

Madison Heights, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

My family has been going for years and have always loved the food. We stopped going for a time because the service was lacking and when you have three small kids we don't enjoy having to wait, especially when we felt we were being overlooked. My husband and I decided to try it again. The restaurant itself was quiet with there were lots of guests present and even though the food was good for the most part, I was not impressed. Our table top (glass) was dirty with old food dried on it, the sugar container was empty and with spilled sugar all over it, the menus were dirty and the pages were stuck together, the sauce containers were dirty and I wasn't sure the sauces were fresh. Spending a little more time cleaning and sprucing up tables between customers would go a long was to a more satisfying experience.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Alice J
Durham, North Carolina
“Excellent authentic Indian food - try the buffet!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I won't bore you with too much rhetoric here, but the food is very good and the atmosphere pleasant. If you want good quality Indian food at a respectable price, this is a great place to go!

I think the food is very authentic, having had a wide variety of Indian food in my travels. I like that they create very different things with their buffet (including goat!), which allows us to try a wide variety of types of cuisine - not always to the best of results - but I have found that I like a lot more than I thought!

I also feel it is authentic because the ratio of white to Indian always remains very solidly in favor of Indian every time I've been here. I would hope that this is a very good sign to show its authenticity!!

I am happy to travel the 20 miles to get here from the northern suburbs to go here.

• Visited December 2013
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Great Indian food with quality”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We have been going to Ashoka for the last 2+ years now. Their food quality has remained the same (i.e. excellent) and even got better with time. Quite a few Indian restaurants start of with food of great quality but over time it degrades. Ashoka has been very consistent. We used to frequent other Indian restaurants in the area but have become loyal to Ashoka of late because of their food taste and service.
Their lunch buffet is amazing and very good value for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Even with the large quantity of food being made for the buffet, flavor is not comprised.
Their sambar (South Indian lentil soup with spices) is just out of this world. If ordering ala carte, we would recommend the Hyderabadi chicken biryani, butter chicken, malai kofta, south indian dishes (idli, dosa etc). A good dinner option is the "thali" which has the entree along with additional complements that provide a complete meal for only a small additional cost.
Keep it up Ashoka!!

• Visited November 2013
Lapeer, Michigan
“Decent food with variety”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

It's located in the corner of a strip mall. It serves foods the other Indian places don't such as a special cuisine for Ramadan. The food is good but not great. Sitting and looking through the doors I could see the same dried powder curry mixes I use at home so don't pretend this is close to home made because it is not. Service is usually good although at Lunch everyone always seems to be rushed.

• Visited August 2013