“Nice Location with Close Dining Options”

Detroit Marriott Troy
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Reviewed 3 November 2011

It was a great location and nearby was a mall with some nice dining choices. The hotel itself has a bar that services decent food and room service was prompt and delicious. The rooms were fairly standard Marriott rooms. Nothing more, nothing less.

Room Tip: DO NOT get a room by the elevators. The noise will keep you awake all night.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 October 2011

We just stayed one night in the Troy Marriott, but were pleased with the service and stay. Staff was friendly at check in, parking was free and easy and the room was well appointed (if a touch small). Location is nice, just off I-75 and close to many area attractions. The pool area is sufficient with extensive workout equipment, pool, hot tub, sauna, etc. We had breakfast in the on-site restaurant with was slightly above average for an upscale buffet breakfast. I can only list three negatives about this property: First, we had a concierge level room, but the concierge lounge was closed our entire stay. Second, no free internet...in this day and age, every hotel room everywhere should have wifi included in the rate. Third, I walked up to the front desk with a drink in my hand and asked where the pool was...someone (not the desk clerk, perhaps a security officer) replied "there's no glass allowed in the pool area" to which I replied "ok, but where's the pool?" He told me the pool was on the second floor and as I turned to leave he followed me...got on to the elevator with us and did not select a floor. I asked "are you following us to the pool" mind you, I'm in street clothes, holding the hand of my six year old daughter...not a group of twentysomethings toting six packs, radios and flippers. He replied that he was following us to make sure I didn't take my drink into the pool area...I made a comment about trusting your clients or something and he launched into a tyrade about broken glass and draining the pool, etc. We arrived at the pool floor, got off, walked the the pool with this guy following two steps behind the whole time...I set down my drink and walked into the pool area and he turned around and walked away. Certainly not a big deal and nothing to raise a stink about but I did feel a bit like a known criminal who walks into a store and the shopkeeper follows him around the whole time. Whatever...I guess it's great security has nothing better to do!

All in all, a good stay, I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Stick to a base room, suites here are nearly double the price and IMO not worth the upgrade. Also...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank deadheadcouple
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Good location near I-75. Welcoming staff at check-in, very courteous. Nice room, slightly small but well decorated. Great flat-screen TV with HD channels. Room service meal was very good. Quiet nights rest. Only item keeping rating from excellent is the lack of free wi-fi and desire to charge $12 a day for DSL internet access.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. When we arrived on a Sunday and had to wait for our room to be ready as we had asked for a king bed (we did arrive early). The room was slightly out-dated. Great TV in the room with HD. Lobby has been recently renovated and looked nice. On our second night we did hear some noise from the hallways and other rooms, but it wasn't too bad or anything. Over-all, not a bad place to stay if your planning a shopping trip to Sommerset Mall. Would consider going again to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We were pleasantly surprised by the comfort and style of this hotel. I got the rooms for $92, and this low rate included a fantastic breakfast buffet. The beds were excellent with down duvets and soft linens. The rooms were clean, spacious, and had flat screen TVs. The service was excellent; the front desk staff were friendly and helpful, as were the waitresses for the breakfast buffet. I would definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I joined my husband on a business trip to Detroit and we stayed here for 3 nights. Great location - only 20 mins from downtown, minutes from the huge Sommerset Mall, 15 mins from the Detroit Zoo. Everything was clean and bed very comfortable. Furnishings are very dated and don't match. Bathroom was clean but again a bit dated. For what we paid I would be looking for a better deal next time, but I can't complain about much more that the decor and room size.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We had no problems during our stay. Staff was very helpful. Hotel was very clean and comfortable!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family