“Great staff, new decor but they need to finish the renovations”

Detroit Marriott Troy
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Great staff, new decor but they need to finish the renovations”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I haven't stayed at this hotel for years and was expecting the same 20 year old Marriott décor. Coming through the garage entrance certainly felt old Marriott but once in the lobby, what a change! The lobby and restaurant areas are modern, open and very attractive. Quite a change.

I met colleagues at the bar and also ate there. The staff were first rate and the food simple, very well prepared and presented. They have a decent wine list that is good value for money.

When heading to the room, you head back into mostly old Marriott décor. There have been some room updates but it is what it is; old, well maintained and basic. The bed and linens are however, excellent.

This hotel is well located for business and I will definitely stay here when next visiting the area. They just need to finish their updates to get an excellent rating.

Room Tip: The higher floors have a bit of a view. All rooms are quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ian B
Ami W, General Manager at Detroit Marriott Troy, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Ian, thank you for visiting and for writing your review! We appreciate all of your kind words on everything from our service to our wonderful linens. We also wanted to offer you some exciting news which is that we will be undergoing an entire guest room renovation in 2014. We hope that you will return again and experience our new design. Thanks again for visiting.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Boyne City, Michigan
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This is a very friendly, expensive hotel, you must pay for wifi, and the breakfast is purely amazing, watch e chef prepare your custom omelette, then have your choice of an all you can eat buffet on the side for no extra charge!

Room Tip: High floors have a nice view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Ami W, General Manager at Detroit Marriott Troy, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Hi there and thank you for visiting and taking the time to post a review. We're thrilled that you were so happy with your breakfast at 200 west; your critique has been passed along to our Executive Chef. Thanks again and we home you will come down and stay with us again soon.
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This hotel was an average Marriott (great bed). I just don't remember having to pay $13 for WiFi at other hotels. I am not a regular traveler but there are many equivalent hotels in the area that don't have an extra charge for WiFi. There is no ipod dock either. I guess I've been spoiled from other Marriotts and didn't do my research beforehand.
Also, the area and hotel were deserted on Labor Day weekend (2013).
I think I'd look into another hotel if I had to go back.
The staff was very nice and room was very clean but small.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott Troy, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Sarah, thank you for taking the time to write. We apologize that you are unhappy with our wifi policy and the lack of docking stations. We are also sorry to hear that you may not plan a return. Our hotel does at times have a lower occupancy during some holiday weekends however we are typically a bustling hub for both social and business travelers. If you'd like to discuss your stay further, please reach out directly to our General Manager by emailing thetroymarriott@marriott.com. Again, we apologize for your disappointment and hope that we can offer a better experience in the future should you choose to return. Thank you again for staying with us.
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We attend a family reunion and arrived very late one night a day before our original reservation. The staff was incredible, but our room was musty--seemed like the windows leaked and the pervasive mold smell was barely abated by room fans and deodorizers. We would go again but I would preview my room before settling in next time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott Troy, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Hello and thank you for visiting. While we're happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you ahead of your reservation, we definitely apologize for your disappointment with the room selection. We'd very much like to discuss your visit further. Should you be interested, please email our General Manager directly at thetroymarriott@marriott.com with details. Our utmost goal is to assure a perfect stay and we apologize that we fell short. We hope to hear from you soon.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This hotel does everything it can with the property it occupies. I was there for business and I would imagine that is the majority of its guests. The location seems very business like as does the hotel in general. The property....from the exterior and lobby .....betrays it 20 plus years. But the rooms are pure old school hotel....small ....refreshed a bit but very chain like....small tub...sink outside the bathroom....kept up quite well! The bed and linens are TOP quality. I have to admit....it wasn't a room I wanted to spend time in except to sleep. Luckily....the bar is very welcoming and the staff couldn't have been friendly! Shout out to Carla who sure knows what she is doing. The Marriott is lucky to have her. Same to Jeffrey at the front desk who made me feel like I was a regular. The restaurant is no longer open except for Breakfast but you can get food in the bar. We found some greats spots to eat in nearby Birrmingham so I would suggest that. There is even an indoor pool and a gym which I used. So......I guess first impressions are not always fair. Would I stay here again......for business.....and because of the people. YES.

Room Tip: There are a few larger rooms per floor but they seem near the elevator. The Concierge floor does ha...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Renztem13
Thank you very much for your great review. We take great pride in assuring that all associates are creating a warm and welcoming environment for our guests. We've passed your comments along to both Carla and Jeffrey and our General Manager has thanked them personally for their great service. As for our rooms, we have some great news. Our property is currently scheduled for a complete rooms renovation beginning in 2014! We hope you will return after our renovation and experience our new design. Thanks again.
Petoskey, Michigan
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Hotel is in a very good location. It is near I-75 , woodward, ave and not that far from other main roads.Staff is very nice and friendly as well as helpful. The breakfast buffet in the morning is outstanding.($20). We arrived at 9:30 pm. and were still able to get a great meal. Dinner prices are a little expensive but the food was superb. Room was large and clean but a little old.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great compliments regarding your dining experiences at 200 west. We have personally passed your words along to Executive Chef Jason, who always appreciates our guest's feedback. Also regarding our rooms, we are excited to announce that we will be undergoing an entire rooms renovation in 2014. Hopefully you can return after and experience the new design.
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed here with my Husband and 2 Daughters (Ages 7 and 10). We had a few mishaps including a bathroom faucet that leaked out of the sides and soaked all of my makeup and my hair straightener. We also had a coffee pot but no coffee or cups (We didn't discover this until the morning and boy was that a BUMMER). The 3rd incident was the most worrisome, my daughter (Age 7) cut her foot in the pool and I was alone with her. I couldn't move her as she was bleeding quite a bit so I tried to use the red emergency phone but it just rang and rang without anyone answering. Thankfully another guest offered to go to the front desk to get a band-aid. Finally after all the issues I decided to call the Manager (Kelsy) and she was very helpful and apologetic. She even gave us enough Marriott reward points to stay again for free. All in all it was a bit stressful but they made it right.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
AustinGR,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our property. Our General Manager and Chief Engineer personally addressed the issue at the pool. The red emergency phone was in fact working, however the line was not connecting properly and thus you were not able to use it. We have immediately corrected this problem and thank you for bringing it to our attention. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences, including the housekeeping issue, and are very happy to hear that Kelsey was able to help you. We appreciate you making note of her service and have passed your words on to her as well. Once again, we thank you for visiting and we apologize for the problems. We hope to see you again soon.