“Great location”
Review of Somerset Inn

Somerset Inn
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Centrally located between Detroit and Auburn Hills in Troy and just minutes from the Somerset Collection, this is a great location for business travelers. There are many fine-dining restaurants in the immediate area and at the hotel itself. Nice rooms that are clean, but not fancy. Staff is friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Christine V
SomersetTroy, Director of Sales at Somerset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

We couldn't agree more! Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again, soon!
Kind regards, The Somerset Staff

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I like to stay at Marriott hotels for the points and I need to work in Troy frequently. The Marriott on Big Beaver was booked last week so I used this hotel as an alternative. The exterior looks out dated and it seemed half occupied but the room was nice and breakfast was good as well. This will be a good alternative for when the Marriott is booked.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
SomersetTroy, Director of Sales at Somerset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Somerset Inn. We were also delighted to hear that you enjoyed our updated rooms, food and friendly staff. Hopefully you also valued our FREE Internet, homemade chocolate chip cookies and our location next to the renowned Somerset Collection shopping mall. Did you know that along with our award winning restaurant Crumpets, there are also 21+ signature restaurants within walking distance of our hotel? Most customers consider this feature a major bonus for our hotel guests. Sometimes competing with other hotels that offer customer loyalty points can be a challenge. However, with the economy still unstable, we’ve been hearing from our corporate customers that they appreciate our affordable room rates… and further, they’d rather save their company the $$ associated with the hidden fees of "hotel loyalty points." Indeed the loyalty points are a bonus, but they are a bonus at the expense of the company/organization. Next time, we hope that you will consider the Somerset Inn as your first choice. The multitude of bonuses at our hotel is free. We appreciate your business – thank you!

Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

The room we had included a king bed, sofa, desk and more and was well decorated. Everything was modern and in excellent condition. Excellent location right next to fabulous three story mall. Restaurant had good food at reasonable prices. Convention center attached to hotel with great staff.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
SomersetTroy, Director of Sales at Somerset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. We hope that you will visit us again, soon! Happy Holidays, The Somerset Staff

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I was here for a conference, and decided to spend the money to stay on site rather than travel as others were doing. I have to say the hotel room itself was AWESOME! There were enough pillow (which were actually fluffy an not pancakes), and everything was sparkling clean! However, there was only 2 elevators for the entire hotel, and not only was my conference going on, but there was also a kids hockey tournament going on as well. While the hotel staff tried to stop the children from pushing all the buttons in the elevator and running away, it still took forever to get an elevator. I had to wait as long as 10 minutes for an elevator to get to my room. And although staff was friendly enough at the desk, there never seemed to be more than one person working there on a weekend. So again, the wait was a little long especially if it was for something important like the internet going out in one of the rooms our speakers were using for the conference.

Room Tip: I actually heard nothing in my room on the 4th floor when I had the heater on low, even though there...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed there end of October. The Somerset Inn is closest to the mall but needs an overall both physically and management.

The room we were given ("given" is a part sarcastic) had major water damage. It was VERY musty. The ceiling was spongy and flaky. Parts of the ceiling had fallen to the floor. And my family and I were expected to stay there for 3 nights????

I went to the Front Desk and they apologized and gave us a new room. However, what kind of management is in place when a room like this, unfit for occupancy, is given to a customer? Surely they knew the conditions before it was given to me? What if I had asthma? Could've killed me....Ironically, the Michigan Doctors Association were holding a conference during my stay so "Is there a doctor in the house?" was on the tip of my tongue the whole time we were there.

I travel every year to this area just to visit the mall. I stayed at the Somerset Inn. Next time, I'll choose another hotel. This hotel needs some physical and managerial renovations. And the other major hotel chains are less than 5 minutes away.

Sorry Somerset Inn....you're not what you used to be and it seems you don't care about me either. Breaking up is hard to do but in this case, it's you, not me.

Room Tip: If your room isn't up to your standards, tell management or find another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank trace l
SomersetTroy, Director of Sales at Somerset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

We apologize for any guest room inconvenience that you may have come upon during your recent stay with us. The issue that you had encountered upon arrival has been corrected. Our guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance,so to learn that a customer did not enjoy their stay is very unsettling. Your business is important and we sincerely hope that you will reconsidered staying with us in the future. Kind regards, The Somerset Staff

Reviewed 6 November 2013

This motel fit the ticket. It was clean, well equipped, good resturant and low priced. I had a nice room with everything I needed including free wireless internet. The staff was very friendly and helpful and it worked out great for me. There are many other great places to eat nearby and the Somerset Mall, one of the best in Michigan is just across the street. I would go back, no problem.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed here for a conference, which was a great deal for $90 + taxes per night. However the only place to eat is at Crumpets, which I had a delicious meal, but it's pricey for the average conference -goer & there is no where else to eat within walking distance from the hotel, except the food court at the mall across the street.
I had thought from the website that the hotel was connected by a skywalk to the Somerset Collection Mall, which it is not. Had to cross 2 quiet side streets, 2 grassy hilly berms, a couple of stairs, a small pkg lot to reach the side entrance to Neimann-Marcus, then go thru N-M until you reach a hallway of high-end stores (Gucci, etc.), then go to up escalator, walk some more til you see the "Skywalk" sign, then walk or ride on 3 different airport type treadways to reach the more
affordable stores. Oh yeah, take another escalator up to reach the food court from this area! Give yourself at least 15 min to reach the food ct from the hotel if you're hoofing it! Good exercise if you have the energy, the weather is nice, or if you aren't physically challenged.
Great conference rooms and food for bkst, lunch, & snacks!!

Room Tip: Exercise rm & Business center is on 2nd floor. Good printer, but very slow & outdated monito...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business