“Anniversary weekend in Union Pier, MI”
Review of Fire Fly Resort

and 1 more site!
Fire Fly Resort
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed in one of the more recently renovated cabins (#3) at the Fire Fly Resort and had a wonderful stay. The location is fantastic, and for my wife and I as cyclists, the area offers great access to a large network of bike trails of varying difficulty that we could explore. Lots of activities nearby, and a private association-owned beach nearby that you can walk to and take in the sunset.

Rhonda was wonderful to work with and we had a wonderful stay. It is weird that they don't take credit cards, but oh well. We've stayed there before so we knew to expect that.

Overall, a great value and I was very impressed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vicmaurer

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have a great trip at the firefly. Rhonda was very helpful and no problems getting in and out of my cottage it was very clean and the beach was great. The weather was chilly but over all we would come back again. Stayed in cottage 16 and I loved it. Management was great I locked myself out at night and they were there in 15 mins to help. It was a great trip... Thumbs up......

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed in unit number one with a family group trip. The cottage was amazing very clean management was excellent the beach was great. Would I do the trip again absolutely yes. I love how when u call to book the cottage you talk to a experienced person. Also the fire pits and grills were great. Two thumbs up. See you next year

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have stayed at the Fire Fly at least 12 separate times over many years so we know what we are talking about.

First let me talk about the good. The location is perfect! While there are no lake views, it is on a quiet street only a 2 minute walk away from a semi-private (Neighborhood Association) beach directly on Lake Michigan. The beach is beautiful and is never crowded. The grounds are nice and the overall scene of the resort is quaint and homey.

The other things that makes this place unique is their flexibility. They always allow us to arrive as early as we like and stay as long as we like on the day we check out. This is a great convenience as it really extends a short trip. You essentially get two full days for the price of every night. (I should note that this flexibility is only extended when there is no one checking out or in after us but that often seems the case when as we go early or late in the summer season).

Now the bad. Each of the "units" are independently owned and they vary greatly in how nicely they are decorated and maintained. Some are ok. Some are gross. Most are dated and all are well worn.

We understand that this is a very traditional, rustic "lake cabin" kinda place and they get heavy use but overall the maintenance/upkeep on the inside of each unit is poor. As is the cleaning. That is the worst feature about this resort. You pay a fairly substantial cleaning fee in addition to the overnight charges but there is little or no evidence of cleaning. We often find the units downright dirty and full of dust and cobwebs, dead bugs, etc. For example on our most recent trip we found the table and chairs on the screened in porch green with dirt and mold and the toilet seat literally peeling apart? I don't even want to know how that happens but why not spend $10 and replace that? The floors were noticeably dirty/sticky, the bathroom sink was dirty and every table top was very dusty. Why? After many visits we now know to bring our own Windex and do a quick cleaning of our own. This should never be necessary.

This sounds picky but let me assure you we are not picky people. After all these years we just finally decided that we should post something so hopefully this place can get its act together and/or the owners will demand better service from the group that manages the property.

We love this area and we always find ourselves drawn back by the great family memories we've made at Fire Fly despite its issues. I only hope the place gets better and not worse. Try them for sure but go in knowing what to expect.

Room Tip: All rooms are small and the bathrooms are tiny. Go only with very close friends or family. And don...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank mfuninsun
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My husband and I were over due for a vacation to ourselves, so we found this affordable I hoped very nice Resort. We had no problems checking in or with our payment but when we did have problems with trying to connect with their wifi we got the lack of manangment as some have said. THe code they say to use did not work. We called no answer we stayed for 2 nights and it was never resolved we also were told we could not have a fire in the fireplace because they had shut them off for summer. Well it was freezing the first week of June and I would have liked to have an evening fire. The kitchen aslo did not seem very clean. I will not be returning because of poor Management NEEDS NEW MANAGEMENT !!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bryan-ChristinaHill
Reviewed 13 November 2013

It was our first vacation in quite some time we had a great stay with no problems.
Our children loved the beach and collected lots of rocks and made picture frames for gifts.
We really enjoyed our stay and are planning a family reunion ''2014'' our experience with customer service was EXCELLENT!! and also really enjoyed the cleaning staff they went out of there way to make sure we were more than satisfied.

If you have not been to the resort our family highly recommends the firefly resort.

Walker Family
Burlington, WI

Room Tip: We really enjoyed #13 had a great back porch but didn't have a screen which would be much better...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Positives: Cottages were cute and well suited to accomodate a group vacation.
Negatives: Management is a MESS. Payment has been a huge runaround and the total balance due seems to be fluid. We were there three weeks ago and are still trying to setlle our payment. Despite the fact that we wrote them a check for the balance and verified recept of the check upon arrival (having been told they didn't take credit card payments) they just charged our credit card for $74.30 more that the balance due that we were quoted and still have not cashed the check. Now we have to deal with it. If you want a relaxing experience on the Michigan shore, don't stay here - the managment will leave you with a gigantic headache.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Goldberry Woods Bed & Breakfast Cottages
Harbert House B&B
Harbert House B&B
#1 of 1 in Harbert

Been to Fire Fly Resort? Share your experiences!