“Better than the Pictures!”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Steve R
Chicago, Illinois
“Better than the Pictures!”
Reviewed 18 October 2015 for a stay in September 2015
people found this review helpful

This house right on the lake looked wonderful in the pictures, but we were pleasantly shocked when we saw the full view as we arrived that first day. It takes your breath away - the full bank of windows make you feel like you are on a luxury boat! The views from the 2 main Rooms upstairs were also spectacular. The House was stocked with plenty of the little things -- and the outside heater in the 3 Season was a very nice and well-used surprise. This is a fabulous find, particularly given the weekly cost compared to other lake front properties. It was clean and well stocked with all you need, including firewood. The booking process was easy and the staff know what they are doing and are very helpful. We plan to go back every year.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The Heavenly and serene views of the Lake- very peaceful
Liked least: Leaving
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Edie A
Chicago, Illinois
“The Sweet and Serene Sanctuary that I Had Been Searching For”
Reviewed 8 July 2015 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

Finding Sanctuaire online at nearly 2:00 in the morning was nothing less than a God-send. I was working in an extremely stressful situation at the time that had me wondering if I was starting to lose it. Balancing my life as a speech therapist, professional storyteller and percussionist, I knew that I needed something. I was supposed to be writing evaluation reports against deadlines that morning but instead found myself searching for some relief from my frustration. I thought that if nothing else, I could dream a little. So, I decided to at least look at places online where I would rather be... and there it was - Sanctuaire. I couldn't hardly believe it! It was PERFECT and EXACTLY what I was looking for!! When I began my search, I was thinking to simply take off some to place alone - somewhere secluded with an easily accessible lake that was visible from the porch or window, with lots of trees embracing me. Sanctuaire provided much more than I could have even wished for. I'd like to heartily "ditto" all that's already been stated by other reviewers. But for me, to be able to sit alone in the quietly bubbling hot tub on a hill overlooking the lake was like something from a dream. To soak in stimulating water, glowing with soft blue lights under a starry night sky beneath a canopy of overhanging trees, was the next best thing to being in Heaven. Did I happen to mention that I had a good time? Lol. I went to Sanctuaire with 3 other friends. Each of us was able to find a quiet space alone if we needed one, to share passages or poems from a good book, and yet to enjoy the option of also sharing a bit of laughter over a home-cooked meal. We even explored nearby restaurants that Mona recommended, specialty and otherwise. (Good choices, Mona!) Knowing that there was actually a quiet neighborhood at the top of the hill - with emergency contacts available to us - felt safe for 4 women traveling alone; and yet there was enough distance between us that it was easy to forget that anybody else was anywhere around. Sanctuaire was rustic and yet lovely and conveniently comfortable; modern (in an old Americana kind of way); and well stocked, including certain food items and various condiments (which came with no surprise user fees, as with many hotels). The welcome gifts that greeted us were a very nice touch and were greatly appreciated. The immediacy of Mona's responses to our questions and contacts was also greatly appreciated. This allowed us to look forward to our trip with confidence, thereby minimizing stress as we all searched for relief and relaxation from the respective stresses that each of us was prompted to escape. Arty, one of our visual artists, sketched and left wonderful images in the pad that Mona had at the house for guests. Rose, our photographer, captured wonderful views of the life all around us. Beth, our face painter, most assuredly was inspired for other designs by all of nature that surrounded us. And I have more stories to tell. So, the trip worked! We enjoyed a stroll through a nearby forest and captured wonderful photos on our last day before heading back to Chicago. I came away from Sanctuaire feeling invigorated, refreshed, renewed, well-rested and ready to take on anything else that might come my way. In fact, my trip to Sanctuaire helped to move me toward the decision to retire from speech therapy 2 months later. So, now I'm just happily telling and writing my stories, singing my songs and playing my drums. So, here ends my praise song for Sanctuaire and for Mona, who cares enough to make this place feel like home for all who come there. Thank you. Peace.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
25 Jul 2015
Thank you Edie. It was such a pleasure to have you and your friends stay at Sanctuaire. You were perfect guests adding to the magic, relaxation and positive energy of Sanctuaire. Warmest, Mona
Reviewed 13 April 2014 for a stay in August 2013

Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
Afghanistan (on military leave)
Reviewed 1 July 2013 for a stay in May 2013

Reviewed 15 April 2013 for a stay in December 2012

A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Reviewed 15 April 2013 for a stay in April 2013

A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing