“Fantastic Muffins - Need to go back for a Sandwich”

Nani's Cafe & Beach SHop
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Union Pier
Cuisines: American
Description: www.naniscafe.com
Description: www.naniscafe.com
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stopped in on a Sunday afternoon for some coffee with a friend. The muffins looked so good we had to try some, had the Cinnamon Sugar, Chocolate Chip, and Carmel Apples ones. Each huge muffin was just as moist & light as could be. The cinnamon was our favorite but the Carmel apple came in a close second. They don't just drizzle on a little topping - they pile it on until it won't hold any more. The entire top of the muffin was covered in caramel with peanuts on top. the sandwiches looked great too, I'm trying to fit some in my calendar to go back and give them a try. Very quaint place with extremely friendly & fast service. Grab something to go, pick a spot and eat it there or spend a few hours enjoying the atmosphere. SO GLAD they AREN'T just a summer spot!!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I learned something recently at this restaurant. Before ordering ASK if they have any special dish for the day. I don't think they post it up on the board and you may be missing out on a truly special item!

Back in early September I stopped at Nani's. I've had most of the dogs and wanted an item I had not tried before. I ended up ordering the Italian sausage. While talking with the co-owner Nessa she had mentioned their new special they just started to make. It was a pot roast sandwich. I'm not a big pot roast person. My mother of Polish heritage is a damn good cook. She would make pot roast occasionally but it was never a dish I cared for. I was asked if I wanted to change my order. In the interest of trying to keep open minded I said sure. I was not disappointed in the least that I did!

The sandwich was served on a fairly hearty baguette that had a slight crispness to the exterior. To my surprise it was loaded up well with lots of pieces of pot roast that had ample charring on the ends. It was then dressed with a nice quantity of wonderfully soft stewed style carrots and sauteed onions. It was a pretty weighty sandwich.

I took my first bite and my teeth went thru the meat like butter! I had never in my life had such soft pot roast! The flavor was excellent as well. The hearty beef flavor mixed with the carrots, onions and bit of gravy was fantastic. I failed to save any for my wife at home as it was to dang delicious!

I stopped yesterdays at Nani's and my first question was "do you have any specials?". The response was "yes we have a pot roast sandwich"! Guess what i ordered? This time it was even better than before! I think they tweaked the dish since my first sampling a month and a half ago. It seemed a tad sweeter which I think was due to the fact there were more onions this time around. I did reluctantly save a half for my wife this time. She had it at room temp with a more soggy bun and said it was "Delicious".

In the photo it may look like they are stingy with the meat but that is not the case. There is ample meat buried under the onions and carrots and for the price it's a good deal!

Nani's is currently only open Friday-Sunday and will be closing up entirely sometime in November. If you get a chance swing over and don't forget to ask if they have any specials!

Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

We saw the maple bacon muffin and thought it was unique, so we decided to try it. It was outstanding! My husband and I both agree that it was the best muffin either of us has ever had. It was definitely more of a dessert, but that was what we expected.

As a ketchup only gal, I was a little nervous to try the BLT dog, but I decided to branch out and go for it. I was pleasantly surprised. The toasted, buttery bun was a wonderful compliment to the crispy bacon, fresh tomato, arugala, and all beef dog.

If you are looking for plain and ordinary, this is not the place for you. Unique combinations and a limited menu, but wonderful food!

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We love this place! We stopped 3 times during our week long visit. Honestly the best muffins ever, you have to have the maple bacon and the lemon rosemary with pine nuts. If you love coffee, you'll love the fact you can get a nice pot of French press with your breakfast. The breakfast sandwiches are great, they are not officially on the menu board yet, so just ask. They put them on the same delicious toasted rolls as the hot dogs, the eggs were fresh and fluffy, bacon was perfect. Then there was the BLT hot dog! Fresh arugula, tomatoes, 2 slices of bacon, and a herbed mayo with probably one of the best dogs around. Everyone there is super friendly, this is a must stop.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stopped at Nani's for lunch and had a great experience. I had the sweet and spicy dog (bacon, pineapple slaw, Sriacha, fresh jalepenos) others had the Chicago Dog and the Mexican. Everyone was very pleased with the food. On top of great tasting hot dogs Nani's has great root beer which is "on tap" and served in frosted mugs. The root beer is worth the visit.