“Reds are not so great”

St. Julian Winery-Union Pier
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Oh wow -- if you like red wine, stay clear. It was pricey, some around $18 a bottle, and I was in a hurry after picking my son up from college, and still had hours to drive -- so I didn't taste. BIG mistake.

I bought a case so I could get a 10% discount, -- so naturally I haven't tried everything.

The two my husband and I did try were: 2010 Braganini Reserve Pinot Noir and the Bragannini 2010 Merlot. (The Pinot Noir was recommended by the man behind the counter -- so I bought three bottles!) The fruity undertones were marvelous in both wines, but the grape they use is just not suitable for these types of wines and there was a vague but distinct vinegary aftertaste leading me to think these are not wines you want to sit on a wine rack for very long. Both of these reds had zero body.

We turned both those bottles into Sangria. We are planning on giving the rest of the reds (with Sangria recipe attached) and being VERY selective about to whom they are given. Lordy, I hope the sweet fruit wines are OK -- but one hope's they are because this winery does get good reviews and that is the type of wine Michigan is known for.

Lesson learned -- don't do hasty winery shopping and next time I'll let the 19 year old get me back to Chicago.

CJ

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I always stop at St. Julian for their dry red. Their is a wine tasting bar with ample help for choosing. They have a nice selection of wine assessories, as well.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

This tasting room is right next door to Round barn, where we first went and had a less than desirable experience. This place more than made up for it! Such friendly staff, who were also very knowledgeable about the wine, it was packed but they handled everyone with excellent customer service! Thank you to them!!! Great wines and reasonably priced!

Reviewed 23 May 2013

This was the best of the wines during my wine tasting. It also helped that it was $10 off the original price. The staff was very helpful.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I really liked the relaxed atmosphere here. We were able to stand around and talk and take our time. The guy serving us was very helpful and explained all of the wines really well (I forget his name:()