“Easy stay, but learn to drive fast and make a bunch of u-turns.”

Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Groton, Connecticut
“Easy stay, but learn to drive fast and make a bunch of u-turns.”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

This part of Michigan is full of roads with 3-4 lanes on each side and no way to make a left hand turn except by making a u-turn. Also, expect to drive over the speed limit - - no choice unless you what someone driving up on your tail all day long.

As for the Staybridge Suites, I stayed here for 5 nights while attending a training course about 5 miles away. The location is good - - if you like busy shopping area. There is a mall down the road and numerous other strip malls. The area is very busy, but the hotel is set off the main shopping area - - where you will have be able to have a relaxing stay. As for the hotel, the condition is very good. If I can recall correctly, breakfast was served Monday through Friday. Standard hot breakfast - - bacon, sausages, eggs, oatmeal, Danishes, breads, and cereals. It a good start to the day. Tuesday through Thursday the hotel has an evening social - - which is dinner. The quality and the taste are ok. While I was there, they served Salisbury steak, chicken marsala, and chicken lasagna. All were good - - not great, but good. Remember, they were free. The fitness center had a couple of treadmills and a weight machine - - it was better than a lot of other fitness centers that I have seen before. Staff was friendly and helpful.

The hotel has a great location, close to shopping & restaurants (yet away from all the hustle and bustle), and easy on and off the highway. If ever you are in the Utica/Sterling Heights area of Michigan, give it a shot. Enjoy.

Room Tip: If you get room 129 you will be by the elevator - - great because you are close to the front lobby...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Cristito C -

Thank you for posting the Trip Advisor review. It is especially helpful to receive a guests perspective of our roads in the Detroit Metropolitan area.

It is true that the Staybridge Suites is tucked safely off of the expressway. In fact, we often suggest alternative routes for our guests that will take them to their destination without driving on M-59 (Hall Road).

Thank you for your kind words regarding our daily hot breakfast buffet, evening social, friendly staff and fitness center.

Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed at the Staybridge for two nights. I liked the idea of having a suite with a full kitchen, breakfast and an outdoor pool and hot tub. The suite was a nice size for two people. It was clean
and laid out nicely. The thing I didn't like was that the queen bed seemed to be a full. My husband and I kept rolling into each other. The hot buffet breakfast was good but it bothered me to see
the kitchen standing outside smoking the whole time right outside where we were sitting.
Except for the small annoyances, I would say try it for yourself.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Corleone57 -

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor! Your comments will help us to achieve a "perfect" evaluation next time around. We have reviewed our smoking location policy with our kitchen staff and I assure you this will not be a concern in the future. I actually showed your review on line to our staff and it had a big impact. Thank you again for your time and feedback.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance with any future reservations.

Director of Sales
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We were very pleased with the space in our suite- especially at that price! We wish there were more of these around Michigan!

The breakfast was good, but not great.

The room was clean and having a full fridge was AWESOME!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
irishgal20 -

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor! Your feedback is very important to the sucess of our hotel. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and would like to experience other Staybridge Suites locations in Michigan. The 1-877-238-8889 is available for reservations at all of our Staybridge Suites including the Auburn Hills, Grand Rapids Kentwood, Kalamazoo, and Novi locations in Michigan.

Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel 3 nights for my wedding. The first two nights were in a 2-bedroom suite. It was very comfortable, but our particular room (1st floor, west wing, pool side) did not have very much sunlight because of plant-obstructuded windows. There was something very strange happening with our room phones, but with the dual-line phones, we were able to make them work. The living room furniture was about average--not very comfortable, but good enough. The in-room kitchen facilities and amenities were very good.

The free breakfast was very good. The hotel also does an "evening social" on the weekdays. This is truly a full meal, not just a little snack. VERY well worth the time!

The outdoor pool and hot tub were both clean, comfortable, and relaxing. Outdoor grills would be nice if planning ahead for a family gathering.

We had a block book for our wedding, so we had many guests for the weekend. The parking lot actually filled up, and guests were instructed to park on the lawn or in otherwise tow-away zones. Seemed very strange to have parking run out at a hotel in a "hotel district."

My second stay was in a hot tub suite (1-bedroom). The room was very nice. The hot tub is part of the living room (spacious and deep), and the bedroom is a full separate room. This room was offered to us as a comp room for having at least 10 rooms booked in our wedding block.

The facility is clean and well kept. The staff members we met were nice and friendly, including the housekeepers. I would stay again at discount rates.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear David W -

Congratulations on your recent marriage! Thank you for spending your special weekend with us and posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I am always happy to extend a complimentary jacuzzi suite to the bride and groom when 10 rooms reserved on their wedding night. Thank you for your kind words regarding our fully equipped kitchen, evening social, outdoor heated pool, hot tub, clean facility and friendly staff.

Unfortunately, we did experience parking opportunities that weekend. We were at full capacity with two family reunions. Several family members shared our larger one and two bedroom suites resulting in multiple cars per occuppied suite. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you and your guests.

Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The room was a small suite for a hotel room price. It had a small kitchenette, dw, fridge, micro. The only minor complaint was that the breakfast was pretty weak. Lots of options nearby, or hey, a good bagel and a boiled egg... maybe some oatmeal...fruit... if that is all you expect for breakfast then no problem. The folks there are very friendly and helpful. Clean, pet friendly.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear John W -

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I appreciate you describing us as a very nice, roomy hotel with good service. I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our hot breakfast buffet. Typically, the cheese egg omletes or scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, fresh waffels with fruit & whip topping, oatmeal, cold cerals, hard boiled eggs, muffins, danish, english muffins, bagels, toast, whole and sliced fruit, yoguart and cottage cheese provides a nice variety when coupled with milk, juice, soda, coffee, and/or tea. It is important to note that some of our guests prefer to make their own breakfast in the fully equipped kitchen in their suite. Please let me know if I can be of assistance with your future hotel needs.

Mitchell, Indiana
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I have stayed at many hotels in the Utica/Macomb County area and this was truly the best in service and comfort! All of the employees were extremely friendly and accommodating (especially the front desk and housekeeping staff and a very nice marketing/sales manager who introduced herself upon our check-in). The room was clean and comfortable and we loved the stocked kitchenette (wine glasses and wine opener were in the cabinet---BONUS!) Finally the bed... possibly the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in while traveling. I will certainly stay at this property again, and I would eagerly recommend it to any potential guest traveling to this area.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Daniel t -

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review! We certainly appreciate your feedback. I am so happy to hear that you had a delightful experience with us. You mentioned that you appreciated the convenience of the wine glasses and opener in the suite. Thus, I wanted to mention the
Fieldstone Winery in downtown Rochester for your next trip to the area. The Fieldstone Winery offers an unique experience where you can participate in a wine tasting and/or make your own wine. Please let me know if I can be of assistance with your future hotel needs.

New Jersey
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We only stayed one night for business but the location was off the main road in very quiet section next to another hotel, Dave & Busters and Steakhouse. The room was very clean and spacious as well as dark for sleeping. This hotel had the best shades for sleeping as our room as pitch dark so you could really sleep. Rarely seen this before. Breakfast was good but most of all hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We were waiting for a meeting and they allowed us to stay in our room way best check-off and then we actually did not need to stay but just the simple offer of saying yes was very accommodating. Also, we ate at D&B next store which was very good. Would stay again without a doubt.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
jtbr3 New Jersey -

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I am happy to hear that you had a great experience. I wanted to make sure you are aware that the Front Desk has discount coupons available for all of our guests to Dave & Busters.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#3 of 7 in Utica
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica
Courtyard Detroit Utica
TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterling Heights
TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterli...
#3 of 7 in Sterling Heights

Been to Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica? Share your experiences!