“Warm Atmosphere, Friendly Staff”

Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Stayed here recently for business. We had booked 2 weeks in advance for 2 nights. After the conference and a little shopping, we arrived at 8 pm to check in, only to find they had given our room away. They upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite as I assume was all they had left, but we had to wait 20 minutes while it was cleaned. The suite was very nice (although a bit dated) and of course way too large for just the 2 of us. We certainly appreciated the way they handled the situation. I guess in their haste to clean the room while we waited, they left the last guests used shampoo and conditioner bottles in the one bathroom and used soap in the other shower. Not the end of the world.....

We did not have the breakfast either morning, so cannot comment but took a quick peek while running down to grab a coffee, and it looked very nice. The eating area just off the lobby is very cozy and relaxing.

The staff were extremely pleasant and accommodating and the price is very reasonable. All in all, the place is very clean. We will stay here again and in fact have already booked another stay for next week as we do frequent business here.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Markhamite -

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is very important to us. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at check in. I certainly understand that after a full day you were ready to relax and get comfortable in your suite. We have longterm guests that often extend their stay at a moments notice. Thus, we will offer a more expensive and spacious suite to accommodate our guests. It is very important to here your prespective. It is critical that we pay attention to details when hurrying to prepare a suite for check in.

I certainly appreciate you acknowledging our friendly staff and warm atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica

Reviewed 23 October 2012

My husband and in-laws recently stayed here in preparation for the Detroit Marathon. We came to the area a day in advance to do some shopping and so my father-in-law could rest up and prep for his big run. We had booked a downtown Detroit hotel for the night before the marathon, but after a horrible experience at an over-priced upscale hotel, we all wished we had booked the extra night at the Staybridge!

My mother-in-law had booked the hotel through Hotwire and we didn't really know what to expect, but our experience from arrival to departure was fantastic. My mother-in-law checked in and after saying we were there for the marathon, the kind and super friendly desk staff put us in a suite so my father-in-law could relax and we'd have lots of room. There was free wifi in the room, something that we've come to expect at a hotel. Our room was clean and nice. It was nice having the full kitchen, for late night snacks and wine (wine glasses were included in the stocked kitchen). The two double beds did make the sleeping area a little crowded, and the bathroom was right next to the beds (which made the frequent trips of the four of us during the night a bit awkward), but it was nice that the sink was outside the shower/toilet area, so we could all get ready without waiting or stumbling into each other. Even though I had to sleep on the couch in the living area, due to my father-in-law snoring, it was still a good experience. Luckily the couch was fairly comfortable!!

A free, hot breakfast was included with our stay and the food was better than your typical continental breakfast (make-your-own waffles!!!). They even had bags to take food with you if you didn't have time to eat in the lobby. As we were leaving, we had some cold stuff (they had a full fridge in our room which meant we could buy and store food for our travels through Detroit) we needed ice for. The front staff offered not only to fill a bag with ice for us, but provided a large ziploc bag for us! Any question or problem (out of coffee in the morning), was met by apologies, smiles and solutions by the friendly and remarkable staff.

After leaving, we wished that all of the hotels we booked for our trip to Detroit were as good as the Staybridge. The price was right, the staff was amazing, and the room was great!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Christy C -

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. It was nice to meet you and your family at check in. The running conditions were perfect for the marathon. I hope he is planning for the next marathon run in Boston!

The suite that was purchased on line was a studio suite with a queen bed and pull out sofa bed. I was so happy we had a one bedroom suite with two double beds available for upgrade at check in. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the spacious suite and hot breakfast buffet.

The change in the weather has resulted in greater use of our complimentary coffee, tea, and hot cocoa station. Your feedback will help us to be prepared in the future at the Wolf Gang Puck coffee station.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed here for 3 weeks to visit family. The hotel itself was very nice. Our room had a small stovetop and full size frig - pull out couch for the grandkids to visit. FREE Breakfast had everything imagineable. Free laundry machines and right next to work-out room so you can do both at the same time. Rooms were quiet. They were updating the carpeting while we were there and they also said they were looking into a better TV cable company. The TV/Internet wasn't very good. Location is M59/Van Dyke Freeway which makes easy access esp for shopping. They also offer FREE dinners 3 times a week. It was too cold to use the pool. They also have a hottub. The BBQ was dirty so could not use that to burn a steak. We will be using this hotel again esp for our long
family stays and prob again next year.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

LVRoadWarrior -

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. There is no place like home, so your decription of our hotel as "almost like home" was a very nice compliment. Our staff enjoys reading the Trip Advisor reviews. They feel good about the positive comments. It is also helpful to learn what is important to our guests so we can work harder to accomplish our goal of 100% guest satisfaction. Thank you for letting us know about the barbeque area. The barbeque grills are used frequently and will be monitored closely in the future. Our new hallway carpet is in and the technicans are currently installing our new cable television service.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance with your next reservation.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

Comfortable place and clean. Will recommend it to anyone. We were on our way to Ann Arbor and had to stop over without a booking. They were welcoming and gave us a good idea of things we could do whiles in town. Very good for families .
It is tucked away from some of the big hotels but once here, we were glad to have chosen it for the comfort and quality.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Paul P -

Thank you for posting a Trip Advisor review. I was so pleased with your description of our hotel. We are an upscale extended stay hotel and it is our mission to provide a clean and friendly atmosphere for our guests so they will be comfortable during their stay. We refer to our outdoor patio as the "backyard", our store as the "guest pantry, and the dinning area is our "greatroom". I will share your review with our staff. It is so nice to receive positive reinforcement for all their hard work!

Please let me know if I can be of assistance with your future hotel needs!

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stayed at Staybridge once before and it was nice but it was a hurried trip, this time we had the opportunity to enjoy the amenities of the Hotel, Hot Tub , Patio, Evening gathering around some lite food snacks. Great breakfast buffet. Cookies so decadent they should be illegal. But the best part of all is the staff. Paula was so great to deal with , front desk very friendly, Cleaning staff very friendly also.It was a very busy weekend (holiday weekend) with weddings ect but the noise was non- existent for us on the 3 level. We will definetly be staying here again. The roads around Sterling Heights/Utica are awful , I really don't like driving there because I can see where I want to go but have to drive 3 blocks down the road to get to my destination but this is by no means a reflection of this hotel. It is easy access to highway and many restauants close by .

Room Tip: ask for a Suite other than on the first level , nothing wrong with the main level but is always a li...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Debby059 -

Thank you for the "nicest Trip Advisor review". I appreciate all your kind words!

I thought you might like to know that our complimentary cookies are from Ottis Spunkmeyer. If you would like to purchase some cookie dough between stays the Ottis Spunkmeyer telephone number is 888-275-6847.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

This part of Michigan is full of roads with 3-4 lanes on each side and no way to make a left hand turn except by making a u-turn. Also, expect to drive over the speed limit - - no choice unless you what someone driving up on your tail all day long.

As for the Staybridge Suites, I stayed here for 5 nights while attending a training course about 5 miles away. The location is good - - if you like busy shopping area. There is a mall down the road and numerous other strip malls. The area is very busy, but the hotel is set off the main shopping area - - where you will have be able to have a relaxing stay. As for the hotel, the condition is very good. If I can recall correctly, breakfast was served Monday through Friday. Standard hot breakfast - - bacon, sausages, eggs, oatmeal, Danishes, breads, and cereals. It a good start to the day. Tuesday through Thursday the hotel has an evening social - - which is dinner. The quality and the taste are ok. While I was there, they served Salisbury steak, chicken marsala, and chicken lasagna. All were good - - not great, but good. Remember, they were free. The fitness center had a couple of treadmills and a weight machine - - it was better than a lot of other fitness centers that I have seen before. Staff was friendly and helpful.

The hotel has a great location, close to shopping & restaurants (yet away from all the hustle and bustle), and easy on and off the highway. If ever you are in the Utica/Sterling Heights area of Michigan, give it a shot. Enjoy.

Room Tip: If you get room 129 you will be by the elevator - - great because you are close to the front lobby...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Cristito C -

Thank you for posting the Trip Advisor review. It is especially helpful to receive a guests perspective of our roads in the Detroit Metropolitan area.

It is true that the Staybridge Suites is tucked safely off of the expressway. In fact, we often suggest alternative routes for our guests that will take them to their destination without driving on M-59 (Hall Road).

Thank you for your kind words regarding our daily hot breakfast buffet, evening social, friendly staff and fitness center.

Please contact me if I can be of assistance with your future hotel needs.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed at the Staybridge for two nights. I liked the idea of having a suite with a full kitchen, breakfast and an outdoor pool and hot tub. The suite was a nice size for two people. It was clean
and laid out nicely. The thing I didn't like was that the queen bed seemed to be a full. My husband and I kept rolling into each other. The hot buffet breakfast was good but it bothered me to see
the kitchen standing outside smoking the whole time right outside where we were sitting.
Except for the small annoyances, I would say try it for yourself.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Corleone57 -

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor! Your comments will help us to achieve a "perfect" evaluation next time around. We have reviewed our smoking location policy with our kitchen staff and I assure you this will not be a concern in the future. I actually showed your review on line to our staff and it had a big impact. Thank you again for your time and feedback.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance with any future reservations.

Director of Sales

Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#3 of 7 in Utica
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica
Hampton Inn Detroit / Utica - Shelby Township
Courtyard Detroit Utica

Been to Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica? Share your experiences!