“Great Place to Stay While in Detroit Area”

Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I very recently had the opportunity to stay at the Hyatt Place while visiting relatives who live close by in Detroit, and overall, it was a very pleasant experience.

Location: Very close to numerous shopping areas, and also quite close to the downtown Utica, and a little bit further away, downtown Rochester. It is located immediately adjacent to a tavern, which has a nice patio outside.

Rooms: Very clean, and very spacious. All Hyatt Place rooms are very well designed - they feature a large sitting room area, and separate work desk area from the sleeping area. This is really nice so you can spread out a bit. The sink is located separately from the toilet and shower, which makes getting ready in the morning if you are sharing the room with another person to be very convenient.

Amenities: the breakfast was really very good for a pre-made hotel breakfast. My boyfriend commented that he did not care for the coffee downstairs, and that it was not good at all. The internet is free in the rooms, and was adequately fast to do some work while we were there including running several data heavy applications and utilizing secure VPNs.

Service: Maid service was timely and efficient, and no one incessantly banged on our door in the morning if we overslept a bit. The front desk staff were all very nice and accommodating and were very helpful. The staff at this hotel is top notch.

Overall, this is a great place to stay in this area, and the price to how nice the hotel is is very fair. This hotel is far superior to many other local options. I will certainly stay here again when I am back in town.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate E
Pilar F, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for all the praise! Our hotel is at an ideal location for shoppers, 2 malls within 5 miles and not far from Great Lakes Crossing Outlets. There is plenty to offer in the surrounding area for non-shoppers as well. We pride ourselves on our spacious, clean rooms and efficient friendly staff. We have passed your comments about the coffee onto our corporate office, the blend you tried is currently a Beta test for Hyatt Places and we appreciate the input. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have stayed here twice now and the hotel is great. The rooms were spacious and the beds were comfortable. The past time that I stayed here, I had accidentally left my iTouch and a set of headphones in the room. I realized this the next day and called, and they checked their lost and found. I wasn't sure they were going to have it but they did and they were able to ship my iTouch and headphones back to me. I was very impressed with their customer service. They were very friendly and honest. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank L R

We appreciate you taking the time to leave such a glowing review! We are very proud of our staff here at Hyatt Place, they are here 24/7 to make sure our customers needs are met. I think I speak for all the staff here in Utica in saying that we hope you will come back to visit us very soon!

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

This was our second year staying at the Hyatt Place while visiting family. Last year we stayed for 5 days and for 8 days this year.

The service has always been terrific- everyone there is friendly and helpful.

The hotel is very clean and comfortable, although not fancy. It has a simple pool the kids love, with plenty of clean towels.

We have little kids so we don't frequent it, but other guests seemed to enjoy the lobby gathering area/bar.

Plus- free wifi!

We will definitely return.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review for our hotel. We are very fortunate to be able to cater to such a wide array of guests, from business types to families such as yours. Options such as our indoor heated pool and coffee to cocktails bar allows our guests to customize their trips with us. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again next year (or sooner)!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel functions well as a business hotel. Nice free breakfast, great rooms and a very workable desk area. A small bar area and an open floor plan makes this a pleasant room to stay in. The staff was more than friendly and were eager to help anyway they could. I have only one complaint, the very weak coffee at breakfast. Come on people coffee should not be transparent! I will be back in spite of the coffee!

Room Tip: There is no SPA can not uncheck the row. Nice Tavern / sports bar across the street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Pilar F, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you very much for your review! Hyatt's commitment in offering authentic hospitality is important to us with every interaction, and we are delighted to hear that you found the guest service as well as our expanded hot-breakfast to be great. We also thank you for the comments about the coffee, the coffee we had was just a test product. Looking forward to be at your service very soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This was the first time we stayed at a Hyatt Place. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and updated the hotel was. The service at the front desk was wonderful - every worker was extremely friendly. It was also very nice to have the bar available in the hotel whether for hot tea or a drink.

The rooms were very nice. Comfortable bed and the large sofa was awesome. Nice to have the separation from the sleeping area. Also, the hotel was really quiet. If there were people next to us or above us I couldn't hear them.

On the negative side, the separation of bed/living area made it difficult to cool the room. With the air on, the bed area was cold but the living area was still warm. Also, the breakfast on the weekdays was not as good as on the weekends.

All in all, a great stay. We'll be back when we visit home again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a review on Trip Advisor about our hotel regarding your recent stay.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. Our General Manager will be speaking with our Chief Engineer regarding your guest room not properly cooling down in the Living Room area. We will mention to our corporate office your suggestions regarding the difference between Weekday and Weekend breakfast. We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We decided to head to the Utica Hyatt based on previous positive reviews and I'm extremely pleased that we did. From the moment we checked in, Star, at the front desk was beyond courteous going the extra mile for excellent customer service.
Our room (King suite) was perfect for my husband, daughter and I - nice and clean but was a bit surprised that there was no bath (no big deal although could have been if my daughter was a bit younger). I also noticed that the room didn't have an information binder (ex. how to contact front desk, about the hotel amenities, etc), cups on sink and provided minimal toiletries BUT it covered all of the essentials and there was a great system in place if you did need anything additional free of charge (could even borrow phone chargers, etc.).
The turkey BLT that was made for me at about midnight was delicious and the complimentary breakfast was great too!
We asked for a late checkout and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that we could check out as late as 2pm! We relaxed and visited the pool and didn't have to rush to pack up and leave.
The pool was warm - would have been helpful to have a clock in the pool area but again not a big deal.
Every time we saw an employee they graciously held the door, smiled, and/or said hi - every single employee was exceptionally welcoming. <--to me, this really made a difference.
Finally, we met Star at the front desk again when we checked out. The conveniently located snack and drink area allowed us to stock up the vehicle with drinks for the long ride ahead and we even treated ourselves to one of the best chocolate chip cookies I've had in years - which Star even warmed up for us. So although my 3 year old daughter was covered in chocolate within 10 minutes of leaving the hotel - it was totally worth it and as she said "I really liked that place and that girl". Special thanks to the Hyatt team. We will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Pilar F, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you very much for your glowing review, we are so thrilled to hear that you loved your Hyatt Place Utica stay! I couldn't agree with you more, our team is a great family and we so lucky to be able to bring that kind of experience to each and every one of our guests.

I kow our conviente 24/7 food menu is vey delicious!

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Everything was fine, just what one would expect from a Hyatt Place, until someone did something in their room. An alarm was set, sprinklers went off, fire department called. I had no problem with that, there's no way for the Hotel to control that. When they proceeded to address the damage late at night, that's where things turned for the worse. The damage happened at 7pm. If they were planning on addressing the damage right away (which anyone with a brain would consider) they should have moved any customers away from the area so they wouldn't be disturbed. At midnight the sounds of cleanup and removal woke me up and continued on for several hours. Crappiest night I've ever spent anywhere! I did complain twice that night and was lied to repeatedly. When I finally got a GM to respond to me two days later I received an apology (half hearted - "we can't let water damage affect that and other rooms") was credited that night but even then it seemed like it was a burden and my fault. I'll never stay there again. It aggravates me that no one with sense would think to move people at a reasonable hour instead of the dead of night.

Room Tip: Get a room well away from any moron that would mess with the sprinkler in their room to avoid being...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TrippinRoy2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#3 of 7 in Utica
Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Hampton Inn Detroit / Utica - Shelby Township
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica
Courtyard Detroit Utica

Been to Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica? Share your experiences!