“great place and people”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed 27 June 2014

this property was CLEAN and staff- FRIENDLY. We and our dog Taffy were treated GREAT. The breakfast was Continental but the choices of breakfast tiems was good. You got to make your own waffles instead of them already made. It was kept full at all times. Coffee was available all day. It was easy to access and get to the freeway and our destination. We are Roller skating Coaches that travel with our dog and alot of places charge a big fat fee for pets. We are glad LaQuinta does not charge for a pet and goes out of their way to put us on the 1sf floor .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This definitely is a good place to stay, if you are going to a dog show. Of course, all dog show people should observe the clean-up rules in order for the hotel to want us back. I do not allow my dogs to run the room, so accidents were not about to happen. Even though my dogs are house dogs first and show dogs second, I believe in being courteous to the host. The breakfast had items, that we could eat and go. Of course like most LaQuinta hotels, the rooms are very quiet.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We booked this Hotel as our "Home away from Home" during our move so we could be comfortable in the evenings and step away from the stress of moving.

I chose it based on the location and it's reviews here. I expected great things based on all the tripadvisor reviews, and I have to say, I'm very disappointed.

We reserved a room with a whirlpool via the website. We checked in around 1:30 AM and the night clerk was friendly, efficient and a bright point in this stay. We were exhausted and went to bed immediately. If we had only stayed that one night my review would be different.

Breakfast is a little sad. The offerings just aren't there. Boiled eggs, frozen waffles, packaged muffins. They did have coffee though, so we grabbed some and headed out to continue packing out the house.

That evening we returned and the room was freezing, the AC has two settings, "Brrrr" and "whew, is it warm in here to you?"

The whirlpool (after filling it and emptying several times to remove the body hair that did not belong to us) is a joke. The pressure of the jets is not even enough to disturb the surface of the water...it is essentially a giant bathtub sitting in the middle of your room.....not worth the extra $30.00 a night.

I mentioned to my housekeeper that it wasn't working correctly, she offered to "Send someone to show me how to work it." Someone did come and pronounced it working perfectly, that all the whirlpools in the rooms work about the same.

The final blow came at about midnight last night when my husband went to get ice and his key stopped working. He went by the front desk and had the nerve to interrupt whatever game the clerk was playing in the backroom (He could hear it and she was deeply annoyed at being pulled away). He asked her for a new key, she pulled up our room on the computer then told him no. That his name was not on the room so she could not give him a key. Instead of asking for his ID, calling the room and getting verification or any of the handful of other customer service options at her disposal to make the customer happy.....she walked back around the corner and went back to her game. Which is exactly where I found her when I went down to rectify the key situation. I asked her to please have the Manager call me in the morning....She said she would, that the manager would call at 9......guess what....no call

Last but not least, the hotel is very proud of their new flat panel TV's that let guests easily connect electronics. This is true, but once you get them connected don't expect to use them....we tried a roku and an Xbox and neither was able to access the network to stream.

Room Tip: Avoid the whirlpool rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel is located at a very good place and when I visit for Business I prefer to stay here. It has proximity to the mall and a lot of shopping and eating options. Staff is friendly and reasonably clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Thank you very much Michelle for your wonderful personal service. I really really appreciate you finding my blue windbreaker and sending it to me so quickly. Looking forward to staying with you again. Randy

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2014

From the moment we walked into the front lobby we were struck by the cleanliness of this little gem. The girls at the front desk were friendly and very helpful in answering our questions about the area and the "shopping"...I commented in the morning at how clean and freshly painted the room was, and they informed me that the room was renovated several years ago, yet the room had an airy and newly renovated appearance.I am extremely anal and I checked everywhere for some dust or dirt, but not in this room. SPOTLESS!
In the morning when we went for our complimentary breakfast we noticed Vicky doing double duty, working the front desk and helping the girl in the kitchen,and may I say with a smile on her face..she is so friendly and kind. We watched her interact amongst the guests and it is evident she is a caring person. Our breakfast was delicious. Not your usual dried out doughnuts or stale bagels.There is a lovely indoor pool if that is your thing, and an exercise room, I believe..you can see that I am not there for the exercise! There is plenty of free parking, and for us Canadians over doing a little shopping, all the stores and malls are right there on Hall Rd, with plenty of good restaurants, Brio being one of my favourite as well as several other good eating establishments...AND this is the reason I love La Quinta Inn. It almost feels like a Mom and Pop type of hotel, where you feel right at home. We are looking forward to our return trip!

Room Tip: I actually looked at a few rooms and they all looked incredibly clean. As well, we stayed at the bac...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The location was great and easy to find. The beds were totally awesome! A great night sleep. Clean and towels didn't feel like sandpaper! The elevators were clean and did not smell like most hotels. I didn't hear any noises, just quite and enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#3 of 7 in Utica
Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica
Hampton Inn Detroit / Utica - Shelby Township
TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterling Heights
TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterli...
#3 of 7 in Sterling Heights

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica? Share your experiences!