“Great Place to Stay”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Everything about our stay at this hotel was great, with the one exception being that it's easy to make a wrong turn getting to the area it's in and end up getting stuck on the highway. The most striking thing about the hotel is how clean everything is; the lobby and hallways literally shined from being so clean. Our room had nothing wrong with it at all- the beds were fine; the bathroom was clean, as were the towels; all the appliances were in good condition. The breakfast was well-stocked and whenever something ran out or something needed attention it would be addressed by the staff immediately. Additionally, the staff were very friendly and helpful, and genuinely seemed to want to make our stay enjoyable. I would definitely stay here again, if ever the occasion arises.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was only my 2nd stay at a La Quinta Inn. My first experience 20 years ago wasn't positive and neither was this one. I was involved with a wedding in the Utica area and this La Quinta was where the wedding party was staying, so I didn't have a choice. I would not recommend this hotel as there are much nicer ones in the area for the same price.

My reservation was made months ago for a king suite. I checked in at 3pm, what I thought was early enough, and all that was available was a regular room. I had to park at the restaurant next door because there were multiple pickup trucks towing trailers which took up 6-8 parking spots each in the back of the lot.

I got back to the hotel around 1am after the wedding. As soon as the elevator door opened on my floor, the stench of marijuana took over. It was so strong and nauseating! The entire hallway smelled. The desk clerk didn't know what to do. She acknowledged that other guests had complained. She opened the hallway window but said she couldn't do anything else. The hotel was full because of events in the area so I couldn't change to a different floor.

I thought things would be OK once I got into my room and closed the door because I couldn't smell the pot in my room. However, in opening the closet door the vile smell came rushing out. The pot had to be coming from the room next to mine. Even so, the clerk refused to take any action. Had I not been so tired after a long, hectic day, I would have driven home.

The next morning, I was in a hurry to leave. Everything I brought into the room reeked from the pot smell. Yuck! I asked the desk clerk (different from the night before) if the issue was ever resolved. She replied that she thought it was no big deal; it was "only" pot. I asked her about a discount and she flatly refused.

I hesitate to call this a hotel as it is just a step above a Red Roof Inn or Motel 6. A hotel should offer the comforts of home along with hospitality. This place offered neither.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We had a nice stay at the Utica, MI location. The rooms were nice & clean. Good location with nice restaurants within walking distance. Also liked that we could walk to Dave & Busters (which the kids enjoyed) The staff was also very friendly & nice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We always choose LaQuinta Inns and Suites because of the quality, cleanliness, and affordability of our stay! Free breakfast and wifi, you can't beat that. Rooms are spacious, and the locations place you close to great restaurants and local attractions.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My significant other were in the Detroit area visiting family and friends over a weekend in July 2014 and had the opportunity to stay at this LaQuinta. All in all we were quite satisfied.

The check-in process was quick and easy, and our room was quite nice and comfortable - clean too. We unfortunately were not able to take advantage of the pool, hot tub, or breakfast, but it all looked quite acceptable from what we could tell. The check-out process was easy.

I wished we would have had more time to enjoy the amenities at this hotel, but we simply did not. Not really much more to say other than we would have no qualms about staying there again. :-)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
A La Quinta traveler
London, Ontario
Reviewed 29 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

If you are travelling in the Utica, MI area, and need a home base with a great location, a comfortable bed, and a great shower, this is the place for you. That's what we were looking for when we came to the area for a weekend with family. We got exactly what we needed. The only issue was the "hot" breakfast. It consisted of toaster waffles and french toast. There are two places, including a McDonalds, that you can easily walk to, so skip the breakfast. Otherwise, I recommend this place as a spot to lay your weary bones.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#4 of 7 in Utica
Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica
TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterling Heights
TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterli...
#3 of 7 in Sterling Heights
Hampton Inn Detroit / Utica - Shelby Township

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica? Share your experiences!