“have stayed in past”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Sumter, South Carolina
“have stayed in past”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

have stayed here the last couple of times to michigan.it is convienient located to main roads that make it easy to get back and forth.close to eating places,shopping and fuel.could use updates.i would rate this very well to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Latisha H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for taking time to post a review about your stay!
Your continued loyalty to our property is greatly appreciated. We do hope that you will continue to stay with us on all your future visits.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed a couple of days, as I worked night shift.
Extremely helpful and friendly staff.
I was able to sleep until noon without being bothered, and no noticeable noise.
Highly recommended for any traveler.
Plenty of shopping and many restaurants nearby.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Latisha H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you so much for writing a review about your past stay and for recommending us!

We understand that working the night shift can be difficult, it's great to hear that you could get the sleep that you needed. We hope that you will choose us again for your accommodation needs the next time you are in the area.
Frankfort, Michigan
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stated at the Holiday Inn for two nights because we were attending a wedding in the area and this was the hotel that was suggested to all the guests. It is not a bad place to stay but the rooms, although clean, were in need of refurbishment. The one chair and ottoman needed cleaning and the lighting was not adequate. We thought that the complimentary breakfast was not bad and the woman that took care of it was very attentive and kept the room tidy. The pool and the work out room were fine. It is just not a special place so, if you are looking for special, look further.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank You for taking time to post a review about our property. I apologize that our hotel did not provide you with the "wow" factor that you were looking for. In 2014 our property will actually be going through some renovations to give us a more up to date look. We do hope that you will return in the in the future and check out the changes! : )
Kalamazoo MI
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I spent 2 night at this property and I was very please with my stay. The staff at the front desk was very helpful in reccomending restaurants and things to do in the area. Check in was also very easy and my room was very clean and roomy. The property is located on a main strip so there is plenty to do. A Dave and Busters is right behind the hotel.
Check out was also good. Overall a great experience

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Latisha H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review! We appreciate the feedback from our guests, it really serves as positive motivation for our employees. I am pleased to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable. I do hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in the area.
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The hotel is a decent value for the price as it is located close to all the shipping attractions, but breakfast quality needs to improve. The rooms were clean, but there was mold in our tub in the corners and you could tell the hotel was a little older. But, if you can overlook that, the beds were comfortable enough and we all got a decent night of sleep.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hello and Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your most recent stay with us. We appreciate and value the opinions of all our guests. I am sorry to hear that our breakfast selection was not to your liking. If you have any suggestions that you would like to offer us so that we can improve in this area, we would love to hear them!
Thank you again for staying with us and we do hope to see you again in the near future.
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This hotel was nice! The staff was very professional. Especially Karianna, Elsy, and Val! The only downside was the constant elevator problems.

I was working second shift, and they allowed me the sleep I needed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Latisha H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Mr. Schrock

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we enjoyed having you. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future!
Portage, Michigan
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed here at the Holiday Inn Express in Utica on July 13th and 14th and enjoyed my stay here. I got a discounted rate of $108 and $117 from my USAA Membership. The property is right off Hall Road and close to many restaurants, shopping and fun places. There is a Dave and Busters right behind the hotel and the key card you get has a $10 coupon for free play when you buy $10, so it's a nice little perk. There is also a Sams Club, Best Buy, National Coney Island, a Bar, and a McDonalds within walking distance of the hotel.

Checking in was smooth, they were busy with the phones ringing off the hook, but they were still very polite and even gave me a little welcome bag with a bottle of water and some pretzels for being and IHG Rewards member. A nice little touch, it's not a lot, but it's nice to see they recognize their members. I was given my key and headed to the elevator. Speaking of the Elevator, it is SLOW. It's a small complaint, but you will spend some time waiting for the elevator when you want to go up or down. When I got my room I found it was right next to the elevator. I called down and requested another room and they got me another room right away which made me happy.

I was in standard King room not a suite. When you open the door there is a nice sized bathroom with marble counter on the left and an ample sized shower with big shower head. There is also a hair dryer, ample towels, free shampoo, conditioner and lotion. There was also a mini coffee maker with several different coffee bags. There was a tiny little closet with non removable hangers, iron, and ironing board. There is a very big king sized bed with numerous pillows that were labeled soft and firm. The bed itself was comfy, a little stiff, but I slept well on it, so no complaints. There was a comfortable chair with foot stool, a desk and chair and also a mini fridge and microwave as a convenient touch. There was a Flat screen TV with Direct Tv and numerous channels along with HBO. A previous storm had damaged their dish and they were waiting for the Direct TV repair man to get there ( he got there on sunday afternoon ) to fix the issues they had. The issue was as you are watching TV the signal kept going in and out disrupting your viewing pleasure, but it only did it on certain channels. There is an in room air conditioner with temperature control so you can keep your room at the desired temperature you want.

The room overall was very clean, the carpet did have a few stains on it, but nothing to write home about. The bathroom was very clean, the linen was clean, and the desk and table tops were very clean. The maid service did a great job as well. I think it was a mother/daughter combo and they did up my room very well on Sunday on my second day there.

The hotel does have a nice heated swimming pool right next to the fitness center. The pool was a very nice temperature and they even had a nice area outside the pool area with pool chairs and loungers if you wanted to relax outside after your swim. The pool isn't overly big, but it's about 5 foot in the deep end, and had adequate room with others in the pool. There is also a business center that had two personal computers with internet but the printer was not working at the moment when I was there.

I left the property several times to go places with my friend and every time we left or came back the front desk staff acknowledged us and I thought that was classy.

They do serve a hot breakfast here and they have a decent sized dining area as well. The breakfast was decent for a free breakfast. They had the Juice dispenser that had apple and orange juice as well as assorted breads, fruits, cereal, yogurt, milk, hard boiled eggs, and muffins. The hot portion of the bar was filled with powdered scrambled eggs, sausage patties, biscuits and gravy, and these really delicious cinnamon buns. They also had an automatic pancake maker that made pretty decent pancakes. We left full and even took a few things up to the room and put them in the fridge for later.

Check out was a breeze. I left knowing that I'd definitely stay again and recommend the hotel to others. Thanks for the nice stay Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms with 20 at the end are close to the elevator, so if you want to be farther away, get in the te...