“Nice Detroit Area Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“Nice Detroit Area Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

If you've never been to Detroit, you'll likely want to avoid anywhere within the actual city (you'll see what I mean when you trek towards and into the city on I-94 from the airport as an example).

If you will be in the Detroit area and can stay reasonably North of the city, this HIE is a great choice that also located near some good restaurant options (Dave & Busters is literally behind the hotel while Sterling Heights is a quick 10 minute drive to more restaurant options).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Mark S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Thank you for the great review! We hope you got to enjoy the nearby restaurants, and Dave and Buster's while you were here! We hope to see you again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Ludington, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We were looking for a last minute room and there are many hotels within a block of this location. Glad we picked the Holiday Inn Express. Picked it because it was a familiar name, will stay again because it was a clean and upscale hotel for a great price.
The room had a great bed, was quiet, had a mini-fridge, free wifi, and has been recently updated with newer carpet, paint, & bath.
Our only complaint was the heater (this was Michigan in early February) was a little loud. The room kept warm, so we just turned down the heat (like we do at home anyway) and slept like babies.
They offer a nice breakfast with pre-made omelets, a pancake machine (instead of waffle), biscuits & gravy, pastries, fruits & cereals. Plenty of seating, the lobby & public areas are nicely decorated, clean & contemporary. The staff asked me 2 times during the 2 day stay if everything was great and whether they could do anything to make it better. They definitely care.
The indoor pool, exercise room, & business office are all right there on the main floor and in good condition. The pool does not have a hot tub, but what do you expect for the price?
There are great restaurants all around the hotel & a Dave & Busters across the parking lot.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Mark S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Good morning Twomckays,

I am also glad you chose our hotel for your travelling needs, and that you will be back in the future. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed all of our amenities that we have to offer. I am also happy that my staff also ensured that you had a great stay. We pride ourselves in ensuring the highest customer service.
If there is anything we can do for you in the future, please feel free to let us know.
Have a great day!
Bluffton, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

First thing first, I spent 5 days a week at this hotel for 6 weeks. The hotel staff was friendly from the beginning, and the hotel looked very nice. My check in went smoothly, they even gave me advise on where to eat and have a good time. I came back at late hours when I was there and by the 2nd week, the desk clerk and I was on a first name basis. (Which really made me feel very comfortable) I always missed the cookies they sat out for the people so she ended up saving me 1 or 2 out for when I came in, and still would go get me a little carton of milk for them.(every night)

I had an incident where my truck was parked in the lot, and when the mowing crew came by the land blasted the side of my truck with grass. I Just had my truck washed the night before, I explained to the manager what happened, and without hesitation she got me a voucher for a free car wash and apologized a few times. It made me feel like they cared.
I also washed my clothes in their washer and dryer there in the hallway. When I took my brand new pants and shirts out that I had bought the day before, they had back streaks down them. (They looked horrible) I again told the manager what had happened, and showed her my receipts for the items, and she had them dry cleaned on them. Now the stains didn't come out they were still there, and the manager gave me a gift card for Target to get a new pair of pants and shirts. I was stunned, any time I needed something they were there to help. The atmosphere of the hotel was nice, the pool was clean, and the staff always had a smile. That experience alone, is why I will stay with Holiday Inn Express. Bravo guys on your outstanding customer service. and thank you again.

Room Tip: If your on a company trip and they give you the option of having 1 or 2 beds. Take the 2 beds, so th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Good morning dhall835,

What a great story! I am so happy that everyone went above and beyond to exceed all your expectations. We pride ourselves on the highest customer service, and your satisfaction. I will make sure to show your review to all of our staff, and let them know what a great experience you had here. We hope to see you again in the future! Have a great day!.
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Spent 4 days here while traveling for work. After first night I mentioned to the front desk staff that the handle to adjust the water in the shower was loose and that there was mold on the ceiling, it was not taken care of throughout my stay.

A few inches of snow fell durning my stay and the entryways were not kept clear of snow. Clearly the front desk crew is not responsible for this. Additionally when I left in the morning (7:40am - not terribly early) the parking lot had not been plowed. I did notice that the surrounding hotels had been.

Breakfast service was excellent, the area was kept clean and the gal working was truly passionate about her job. She even made a point to stop at each table and ask how breakfast was - nice touch.

The workout area was really NICE. The equipment was brand new with the ability to plug in your iPod and control it on the equipment. There were 2 treadmills, one elliptical and one recumbent bike. Downside - no water in fitness room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Mark S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Good afternoon, Aimee C

My name is Mark. I am the new Front Office Manager at the Holiday Inn Express. Thank you for taking the time to complete our online review about your recent stay. I want to personally apologize for the fact that you had such a poor experience at our hotel. I am appalled to hear of the conditions that you found your room in, and that the staff did not address your issues in a timely fashion. All of our staff has been extensively trained to provide guests with the highest level of service, and the fact that this was not provided to you is disappointing. I assure you this is a matter we take very seriously here, and the proper disciplinary and corrective actions will be taken to avoid future occurrences. We are glad to hear that our breakfast attendant was a positive experience. We like to show our staff the great feedback. We also are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our workout area. We value your feedback and your business. We hope you will visit our hotel again in the future. If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know. Have a great day!
Romeo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Front desk was helpful, courteous and kind. The room was clean, but some maintenance on tile was needed. The show stealer though was the breakfast service. Ann was helpful and kind and very accommodating even though it was close to the end of breakfast service. I like the consistency of Holiday Inn Express, but Ann has raised an already high bar. The friendliness, service and quality are a shining star for the establishment even the entire chain. Great job!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
We are very happy that you had such a positive experience with our Breakfast Attendant Ann. We like to hear that our staff is going above and beyond to provide the best customer service possible. We will show Ann the great feedback. We hope to see you again in the future!
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I arrived on a tuesday night. Front desk was very helpful about the local area regarding shopping and food. My room was on the 4th floor (top) and seemed like i always had to wait for the elevator. I usually used the stairs because. Stairway fire doors were all open and the floor was carpeted. After unpacking, i went looking for vending machines. The snack machines had a very poor selection and were out of date. Same thing with the soda machines. Most vending machines allow for the use of a credit card. Not these. I ended up buying snacks at the local target. My room was large, clean, and had a small kitchenette. I left a note to housekeeping that all i needed was clean towels. I didnt need my whole room cleaned everyday. That lasted about 2 days probably due to a shift change or different people cleaning my room. My shower had very low water pressure and the shower hand wand was leaking. Towels were far away from the shower. The one morning as i was grabbing some breakfast, the attendant asked if i needed a tray and handed me one! My stay was uneventful until the end. My in room coffee wasnt refilled so i had to go downstairs. Some towels werent replaced in the bathroom. Went to use the business center to print out bording pass and check luggage and the internet was down. Overall a pleasant experience and the hotel is in a great location

Room Tip: entire hotel is non smoking. Try to get a room on ground level or lower floors due to long wait for...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Latisha H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your most recent stay with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and a great tool to help us improve on our services. I do apologize for any inconvenience that occurred during your stay. We have taken steps to ensure that those issues do not happen in the future. We do hope that you will continue to stay with us in the future!
Sumter, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

have stayed here the last couple of times to michigan.it is convienient located to main roads that make it easy to get back and forth.close to eating places,shopping and fuel.could use updates.i would rate this very well to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Latisha H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for taking time to post a review about your stay!
Your continued loyalty to our property is greatly appreciated. We do hope that you will continue to stay with us on all your future visits.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#3 of 7 in Utica
Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Courtyard Detroit Utica
TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterling Heights
TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterli...
#3 of 6 in Sterling Heights

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica? Share your experiences!