“Awesome place!!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for several days and thoroughly enjoyed it! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were very clean and spacious. Breakfast was great!! Pool hours were somewhat limited. Only complaint was that our door would stick open so we had to make sure it closed completely every time we left the room! Would recommend this to others and definitely stay here again!

Stayed: June 2014
Mark S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for the great review on your most recent stay! We are glad you had such a positive experience!
Thank you for informing us about your door, we will have this corrected immediately. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Spent the whole week here. Lots of activity. The staff was very good and always greeted you with a smile and a hello. My friends stayed in the hotel behind this one (Courtyard). The HI express had a much better breakfast and was closer to the restaurants. It was busy in the morning, but the breakfast staff kept up.

I like a hot cup of coffee from the lounge in the evening (8pm-10pm). 3 nights it was hot. The other 2 it was not. Oh well. I had to make a cup in the room instead.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Mark S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Good evening,

Thank you for the great review on your most recent stay! I am glad to hear our staff always greated you with a friendly smile. We pride ourselves on our customer service. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast. We hope you were able to enjoy some of our local restaurants. We hoper to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here overnight last weekend for a nearby wedding. Got a decent rate @ $99. Check in was fast, the room was very nice. Clean. I liked that they had 2 types of pillows on the beds (soft and firm). Our room had a mini fridge and microwave, bonus. I don't usually bother about the TV, but they have direct TV and the channels were awesome. Nice that the menu was easy to navigate ... some places it is more trouble than its worth. Anyway ... One minor complaint: I had asked the front desk guy to call us a cab, but he gave me the number to call instead. Ok ... no problem, we weren't sure if we were going to drink a lot at the wedding. Soooo that cab company had a huge wait and I called back down to inquire if there were any other local cab companies and the guy told me he'd call me back. He NEVER called back. I was going to thank him for the no call back on the way out after deciding to drive, but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle to hassle. Oh well. The breakfast was really great actually. Omelettes, bagels, biscuits, gravy, fruit, cereal and more. Believe it or not the coffee was actually REALLY good. Shocker I know, but true. So I guess what I am saying is that it's a good hotel to stay at in the area, especially for the price. I didn't use the pool but it looked decent. Cheers.

Room Tip: Cabs are hard to come by in Utica. Plan in advance.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Thank you for your review on your most recent stay! We are glad to hear that you had such a great experience. I apologize that a call back was not made in a timely fashion regarding a taxi service. We value your feedback as a way to improve service, and avoid any problems again in the future. I am delighted you enjoyed our breakfast! We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Had the chance to stay at this hotel for 3 nights and was very impressed. The staff, from the manager to the house keeping staff, were all very accommodating and knowledgeable. We were always greeted with a warm smile and a friendly hello. The are lots of restaurants and shopping within an easy walk or drive. The only drawback I could find was the free breakfast left a little to be desired. The hotel was fully booked and the staff was having a hard time keeping up with the demand.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Mark S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Good evening Byron,

I am very pleased that you had such a positive experience with our staff! We pride ourselves on ensuring the highest standards of customer service! I am glad that our location provided you with many choices of restaurants and great shopping areas! Thank you for the positive feedback!
We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

If you've never been to Detroit, you'll likely want to avoid anywhere within the actual city (you'll see what I mean when you trek towards and into the city on I-94 from the airport as an example).

If you will be in the Detroit area and can stay reasonably North of the city, this HIE is a great choice that also located near some good restaurant options (Dave & Busters is literally behind the hotel while Sterling Heights is a quick 10 minute drive to more restaurant options).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the great review! We hope you got to enjoy the nearby restaurants, and Dave and Buster's while you were here! We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We were looking for a last minute room and there are many hotels within a block of this location. Glad we picked the Holiday Inn Express. Picked it because it was a familiar name, will stay again because it was a clean and upscale hotel for a great price.
The room had a great bed, was quiet, had a mini-fridge, free wifi, and has been recently updated with newer carpet, paint, & bath.
Our only complaint was the heater (this was Michigan in early February) was a little loud. The room kept warm, so we just turned down the heat (like we do at home anyway) and slept like babies.
They offer a nice breakfast with pre-made omelets, a pancake machine (instead of waffle), biscuits & gravy, pastries, fruits & cereals. Plenty of seating, the lobby & public areas are nicely decorated, clean & contemporary. The staff asked me 2 times during the 2 day stay if everything was great and whether they could do anything to make it better. They definitely care.
The indoor pool, exercise room, & business office are all right there on the main floor and in good condition. The pool does not have a hot tub, but what do you expect for the price?
There are great restaurants all around the hotel & a Dave & Busters across the parking lot.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Mark S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Good morning Twomckays,

I am also glad you chose our hotel for your travelling needs, and that you will be back in the future. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed all of our amenities that we have to offer. I am also happy that my staff also ensured that you had a great stay. We pride ourselves in ensuring the highest customer service.
If there is anything we can do for you in the future, please feel free to let us know.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

First thing first, I spent 5 days a week at this hotel for 6 weeks. The hotel staff was friendly from the beginning, and the hotel looked very nice. My check in went smoothly, they even gave me advise on where to eat and have a good time. I came back at late hours when I was there and by the 2nd week, the desk clerk and I was on a first name basis. (Which really made me feel very comfortable) I always missed the cookies they sat out for the people so she ended up saving me 1 or 2 out for when I came in, and still would go get me a little carton of milk for them.(every night)

I had an incident where my truck was parked in the lot, and when the mowing crew came by the land blasted the side of my truck with grass. I Just had my truck washed the night before, I explained to the manager what happened, and without hesitation she got me a voucher for a free car wash and apologized a few times. It made me feel like they cared.
I also washed my clothes in their washer and dryer there in the hallway. When I took my brand new pants and shirts out that I had bought the day before, they had back streaks down them. (They looked horrible) I again told the manager what had happened, and showed her my receipts for the items, and she had them dry cleaned on them. Now the stains didn't come out they were still there, and the manager gave me a gift card for Target to get a new pair of pants and shirts. I was stunned, any time I needed something they were there to help. The atmosphere of the hotel was nice, the pool was clean, and the staff always had a smile. That experience alone, is why I will stay with Holiday Inn Express. Bravo guys on your outstanding customer service. and thank you again.

Room Tip: If your on a company trip and they give you the option of having 1 or 2 beds. Take the 2 beds, so th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Good morning dhall835,

What a great story! I am so happy that everyone went above and beyond to exceed all your expectations. We pride ourselves on the highest customer service, and your satisfaction. I will make sure to show your review to all of our staff, and let them know what a great experience you had here. We hope to see you again in the future! Have a great day!.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Courtyard Detroit Utica
Hampton Inn Detroit / Utica - Shelby Township

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica? Share your experiences!