“Upscale Courtyard”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Hampton, Virginia
“Upscale Courtyard”
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I'm really impressed with this hotel. I stayed here for about a week and it was great. The bistro is nice if you don't want to head out for food (chicken ciabatta sandwich is great) and our (team I was traveling with) free breakfast was just ok. But, it was hot and FREE.

So, on to why I'm impressed. First things first. The staff is so nice and welcoming. I've had far worse treatment (or lack thereof) in more upscale hotels. Back to the staff. I wish I got names as I know GMs tend to view these reviews but here goes. Front desk clerk, she was awesome, professional and had a sense of humor. Then on to the bistro staff. Often bombarded by my team at dinner yet smiled, joked and had a sense of urgency...so awesome. Cleaning staff...loved how nice my room looked when returning each day. And, "Lefty" even offered to come back after I slept in one morning (I posted the do not disturb sign) but I told her it was fine until tomorrow (she was finished and I felt bad that she would have to back track). 20-30 mins later, she showed up ready to clean. She had a smile and she chatted away as she cleaned. Very nice of her.

Rooms - they are modern, clean and even come with real water and coffee glasses. This to me is great. I hate when hotels us cheap plastic water cups or coffee cups. The bed was comfortable and the HVAC worked perfectly. Shower pressure was good and the bathroom was very clean. No rust, stains or weirdly located water stains. Also, the room had a little couch and chair with tables and lamps. In addition, a little desk/workstation. Coffee pot holds a little over two coffee cups worth.

The not so good - I really wish they would have installed a mini fridge in the room. And, my room got a little loud at times with vehicles in the road. Could be just a location thing.

Overall, great place and staff. GM - pass on the kudos and keep up the great work.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Rosy E, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Utica, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments! We are pleased that we were able to provide you with comfortable, convenient accommodations during your stay at the Courtyard Detroit Utica. I will definitely pass on your kind words to our team. Should your travels bring you back to Utica, we would love another opportunity to service you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Edwardsville, Illinois
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I've stayed at this location several times, the most recent being in December, and it is consistently wonderful. It has sleek, modern, yet comfortable décor and is very clean. The front desk staff is always welcoming. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We take great pride in welcoming all of our guests and trying our best to make them feel at home. We would love to see you back soon.
New Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I have now stayed here twice to include my most recent stay on December 20-23 2013. The first time I stayed - I had a regular king room; the second time I stayed - I had a corner room king suite with a microwave and refrigerator - and separate living space with two TV's. Of course, the second time was fantastic and the first time was cool as well. I had no problems and the hotel was nice and comfy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Courtyard Detroit Utica. Looking forward to welcoming you back when you are in the Utica area.
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

My daughter and her new husband needed a hotel after the wedding and before they left on their honeymoon. The hotel was so helpful and accommodating. They let my husband check them in (we were covering the room ) and leave some snacks and treats to surprise them. It was a perfect end to a perfect day - thank you Courtyard !

• Stayed November 2013
Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed here for one night at the end of September and we were very impressed with the hotel overall. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating to our requests. The decor throughout the hotel was very modern and the rooms were clean and refreshing. We stayed in a room with 2 queen sized beds that were extremely comfortable. Even with the queen sized beds, there was ample room to move around and there was a large, pull-away desk for working at. Our only complaints about the room were that it did not include a mini refrigerator (only the king bed suites currently have them), and you could hear some traffic noise from the highway outside our window.

Having previously stayed at the Hyatt Place down the street, we will definitely consider this hotel when we stay in this area in the future. The only downside in comparison to other hotels in the area is that it doesn’t offer a free breakfast, however you can participate in their breakfast buffet by paying $8 a person. We didn’t try their breakfast buffet this time, but we will consider it next time.

For those who aren’t familiar with the area, this hotel is minutes away from many shopping plazas and restaurants, making the location very convenient.

Overall, a great stay and we would definitely recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the highway if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Purcellville, Virginia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This Courtyard has been updated as Marriott is doing for all Courtyards, but the hotel does back up to a main highway. It's not a huge deal, but if you don't like the background sounds of traffic, try and get a room with an even number as the odd number rooms back up to the highway. Like I said, the noise isn't unbearable and for those who sleep with fans, etc., it might be a plus!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank gvest
Michigan
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed here one night and had a very nice stay! The rooms seem like they were recently remodeled. Everything was very clean and the room had a good amount of space. If your a smoker you are not allowed to smoke on the balcony (I think this is a rule for pretty much all hotels in Michigan?) I noticed we didn't have a hair dryer in the room and the only bummer was they didn't offer a free breakfast but did have one available for purchase. We didn't use the pool but the pool seemed big and clean. Dave and Busters is pretty much in walking distance and is great for kids and adults! Food, drinks and plenty of games. Many restaurants nearby and also Lakeside Mall. I would say about 45 minutes from Detroit. So overall great stay!

Room Tip: We were facing the expressway and with the door closed we heard ZERO noise from outside. I didn'...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#3 of 7 in Utica
Hampton Inn Detroit / Utica - Shelby Township
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica

Been to Courtyard Detroit Utica? Share your experiences!