“Busy Good Friday ... but good service”
Review of The Swan Inn

The Swan Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Lympstone
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
“Busy Good Friday ... but good service”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

They were very busy today when we visited the Swan, but found the staff to be very welcoming. The food here is what is probably best described as "good pub grub". Two of us had their homemade steak and kidney pudding which was delicious. Helpings of mains and desserts are generous so work up an appetite before coming here.

Visited April 2014

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Rudely served with an urge - carry on to the next pub”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I have been coming to this pub for a long time and it seems to have gone very down hill. The food I had was nice-ish but the service... well, there wasn't one. I paid nearly £15 for some mussels which was not worth the money - they were cooked ok but I have had better.
When we got there, there was a couple of waitresses just yapping and rudely ignoring us when we were waiting to be served. When we were making our order the waitress just kept giggling, she was very immature and looked to young to be working there. Anyway, after we ate our nice mussels and frozen oven chips the young waitress came over and very abruptly said 'are you finished'? We said we were done and she took our stuff and went. Not once were we asked whether our food was ok. I had to remind them that they had forgotten parts of our order. We were the only people eating there at the time so it wasn't like they were rushed off their feet and there was a lot of staff on that day.
What did disappoint me is when we first got there and ordered our drink the barman kept making urging noises as if he was going to be sick because he doesn't like the drink. Then for the rest of the time we ordered our drinks he gagged! When it come to paying we explained to him and stated without criticism that we didn't get a check back service which was disappointing as our meal was very expensive and we always like a nice service. We asked if he was training his waitresses at the moment as that's what we genuinely thought was happening. He didn't take it well and after that was very unpleasant to my partner when he later went to get his next drink. He was a little intimidatingThey do well there as the pub is on the cycle track to they whack their prices up. To be honest the food isn't that great for the price. I would much rather go a bit further and have a Puffing Billy lunch now they have their new cost effective menu and nicer food than The Swan. Another thing is that the staff were arguing about tips which I thought was unprofessional in front of customers. I didn't bother leaving any! There's other pubs in Lympstone too so don't forget so carry on to the next pub. You wont regret it! This place is in serious need of decent management or even a change of staff!

• Visited April 2014
“Lovely”
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Went to Swan last April and visited in the Summer. Had a lovely experience every time. Yesterday was no exception. The food was lovely. There is an excellent vegetarian choice and makes a change from the usual pitiful offerings of pasta which are the usual pub favourites. The staff are really friendly and helpful. I will and have highly recommended people to visit. It is probably one of the best places around Exmouth to eat. There is a good choice of Ales and Ciders too.

Exmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just an off evening perhaps!”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My self and a friend went to The Swan for a quick bite on a Tueday evening, not a problem we thought. We had to sit in the bar as all small tables were full, waitress answered the phone whilst directing us to the bar. Multi tasking or short staffed! We quickly ordered our food which we thought was a bit on the pricy side, as before we had been there it was very affordable. Change of management or Chef maybe? Sat down, chatted on to second drink and thought its been a while since we ordered...50 minutes. Chased our order for them to say 'well we are busy'. At the same time a couple of ladies also enquired as to where there order was, they had been waiting nearly an hour. There money was refunded and they left. We then sat down and minutes later a waitress came over and said ours was the next order. It duly came........fish and chips. Fish very vell browned with nice chunky chips and mushy peas, ok. Mine the chicken sizzler ok but I got the cheap thin fries.......why? As a local and in buiness myself I will not be venturing to The Swan in the near future, sorry

• Visited April 2014
Fife, UK
“Amazing food”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We visited the Swan whilst staying in Lympstone for a couple of nights, we were told by our B&B hosts that there were 4 places to eat but this was by far the best. We were not disappointed, so much so we went back the next night with our son! Between us we tried 4 different starters and 5 main meals and had no complaint about any, they were all delicious! The portions were huge, and we did see people being offered boxes to take home left overs. Staff were friendly and attentive both nights despite it being very busy. I would definetly recommend and will be back again!