“Great BBQ place for dinner”

Caya smoke house grill
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Walled Lake
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 February 2014

CAYA (Come As You Are) is a nice smoked/BBQ place to eat with an upscale type menu tucked in a corner of Walled Lake. If you’re visiting the area or attending the Suburban Collection Showcase in Novi this place is about 10 minutes away and it’s a must. In 2013 this place was voted one of the Best New Restaurants by the Detroit Free Press.

Inside the restaurant was been stripped down to give an industrial type of feel. As the name stats most everyone was dressed casually. The dining area seems a bit small only about 40-50 tables (seating for about 100) & most of them were full at about 6:00 on a Saturday evening. They have a good size patio that is open during warmer weather. There is a bar where people can drink, eat & wait.

The wine section is pretty good, crafted cocktails and 12-15 beer options (regional micro brews with a couple of national brands). The menu has something for everyone from fish, burgers, chicken, salads, and sandwiches and of course smoked meats. The smoker section (meaning the items have been smoked) had the normal pulled pork, brisket, ribs, but they had turkey & smoked squash as well. The ½ slab of ribs had a dry rub on them which was good. I found the ribs well cooked and moist. The only downside of ordering from the “smoker” part of the menu is they come with no sides, you must order those separately. My friend and I ordered 4 sides altogether, but you could easy just order 2 and share them. The sides we had:
• Burnt tips Chili- (Large pieces of beef, onions, peppers, tomatoes & beans) The chili was Ok, but a bit too spicy for me.
• Onion Rings-(Fried to golden brown with a crunchy batter, not the normal flour type coating found on onion rings.) Everyone loved them.
• Cornbread (comes in a cast iron pan.) It was very moist and had a cake like texture. Some of the best I’ve ever had.
• Grilled Sweet potatoes with maple glaze. The potatoes were cook very well and we dipped each one in the maple glaze.

The bottled water that was brought to the table upon arriving came straight from the refrigerator and was served in an old fashion type of bottle. On the table is their signature “Blueberry” BBQ sauce in a glass syrup container, pepper sauce and homemade stone ground mustard.

This was my 1st time to the restaurant, but I will back for sure and try something “new” from the menu. The only negative was the building was very chilly, so dress warm and bring a sweater is my recommendation.

1  Thank Lori L

Reviewed 15 February 2014

The food is tasty but didn't like the way it was presented
Every item is served on its own individual plate.
The Service is good.
The price is high.
You get far more food than you can eat.
The ambiance is barnlike; austere..
Will not be going back.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have been to CAYA three or four times since their opening. They just recently started a bunch and couldn't wait to try. My daughter and I both decided to share since there were items that we both wanted to try. We ordered the Brioche French Toast and the BBQ & Eggs with the Brisket. The food was wonderful!!!!! As we waited, we decided to order the Bloody Mary and it was their recipe. The drinks were very good with just enough spice. If you get the opportunity try CAYA now for brunch. already know the dinner time is great and now this yummy

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I have been to CAYA twice. One with my wife and then again with my 14 and 12 year old daughter for the younger one's birthday. with the family, we did it sort of family style and ordered a pound of brisket, a pound of pork and a half slab of ribs. We got onion rings, mac & cheese, cornbread and fingerling potatoes as sides. Every single item was above average. One daughter was worried about mac & cheese because she is so fond of Union mac & cheese, but even she agreed that CAYA did it well. For dessert, try the bread pudding, it is a perfect way to end a great meal.

As for the other reviews about the noise, if you are looking for intimate, then this might be the place for you. We do not like loud places and CAYA is on the loud side, but it was not nearly loud enough to be bothered by the noise. We had no issues and actually got into conversations with the people at the tables next to us. (We were all raving about the food!)

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We like this new spot a lot! We've been here twice and enjoyed everything. The ribs are good the turkey sandwich awesome. The shrimp appetizer great. We'll be back.