“You'll regret staying here”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Warren / Detroit
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Warren
Reviewed 24 August 2012

First of all, let me preface my review by saying that I wasn't expecting the Ritz Carlton for the $218.XX (post-tax) you spend per week. I had the unfortunate experience of staying here for four weeks. First, they have a sign in the lobby that basically states after 15 minutes, you cannot get a refund. I called the girl ahead of time to make sure they had included wifi access and she said they did. I chose to stay here because I saw they had free wireless which I need for work. I paid for a week and stayed in a room. As soon as I got to the room, I took a shower. The tub wouldn't drain. I had to hold the handle the whole time to get the tub to drain. I told them about this and the girl said she apologized and would inform maintenance. I didn't really ask for another room because, again, I knew I wasn't staying at the Ritz and didn't find it to be that big of a deal. I turn on my laptop and the wireless isn't working. I call the girl again, she says, "Oh, yeah it's down. Sorry about that." (Wouldn't you tell me that when I called you initially?) I instead went to bed early and got up early Saturday morning...I walked over to turn the A/C off and the floor was completely wet. By this time, I was beyond complaining since they weren't doing much anyway and just went to work. I came back, the wireless is still down. Long story short, it was down until Tuesday, at which point SOME of the access points went back up. Finally, Wednesday they were back up. I decided to just stay (I have to stay a total of 8 weeks in the area) and stayed for four weeks. During this time, people in the rooms to my left and right were screaming at all hours of the day (including 2-6 AM on a Tuesday night, when I have to work.) These people were screaming and fighting with each other, and I was afraid to tell management because they would know who complained (it'd be obvious I was in the next room) and I was actually afraid. (Thankfully the really loud ones only stayed two nights.)

Where I had the breaking point was the wireless went out again the fourth weekend I was there. I told the front desk both Saturday and Sunday and they promised that it'd be fixed (within a few hours) It was actually very spotty the whole week and they actually gave me, the guest, the number to call the customer service line (I guess they're too busy to worry about the amenities they offer?) so I had to call. The girl on the line didn't care, talking on her cell phone while on the phone with me. They just said, "Oh, internet will be down for a while." I told the hotel I wanted a credit since I'd be staying an additional four weeks and I needed the internet to work. I even told them I didn't expect much, somewhere between $20-$50 and he said he'd ask his manager the next day. He claims he did, and I went in the next day to discuss it and he said no. When I told him I thought that was unreasonable, he started raising his voice. I brought to his attention my other issues and he said that that was all water under the bridge and I would not be receiving a credit. I told him twice to have the manager call me and he never did, instead telling me to call the manager. As inconvenient as it was, I moved to another place for the remainder of my stay which is a little pricier, but I'm so much happier in my new arrangement.

Also, I heard other guests complaining in the short time I was there when I made trips to the lobby including- Key cards not working repeatedly (I can personally attest to this, they had to reset mine three times and told me, "Don't keep it near your cell phone." I didn't, but I've never heard of this rule), Black mold growing in the room, Dirty floors (they wouldn't even give the woman a broom to sweep it up and said simply they'd "tell maintenance") the dryers in the laundry room not working, and bugs.

Don't stay here, spend the extra few bucks and go somewhere else, trust me. They don't care about your business!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Kevin A
Mike S, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Warren / Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

im so sorry about the bad experince you had with us but please give us onther try we are diffrent franchise now and we are new managment and we have made alot of improvments we are so sorry again .

Reviewed 15 August 2012

I always stayed there with my husband as it was cheap. It had always been decent. But last time we went we noticed the owners had changed. It's now called Best Value Inn or whatever. They gave us a room and it wouldn't open! You don't know how many times we tried sliding the damn card! It was 11pm too and we had my 5 mth old daughter with us. My husband went back and I stayed behind waiting. He comes back even more mad with the same card trying all over again sliding in and out. And of course it didn't work! This time I went with him having my daughter in my arms as I asked politely if they could give us a different room. My husband had already been yelling at the lady so I felt bad and apologized. The lady did apologize as well and gave us a new room and it was disgusting! Some parts of the carpet felt wet! You could tell they didn't vacuum the floor! The bathroom floor was dirty! Totally needed to be saddled and mop and the bath tub looked like it hadn't even been scrubbed and clean! The new owners are disgusting and lazy! Never going back!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Girl0791

we are very sorry about the inconvinence you had with us before we have changed alot and its a new managment and we have been newly remodeled so please give us onther try and you will not regret it thank you

Reviewed 4 May 2012

I wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel for the price, but I was expecting something a little more... less gross. The room smelled bad when we first came in, but while getting our stuff out of the car it dissipated. I blame the hot weather. The mattress on the bed itself was fine, but the box spring was two twin springs put together, and they were gross and stained. The sheet on the bed came off every time we moved and it only had one pillow, nor were anymore available.
They provide free internet, but there was no information in the room on how to connect, nor any other sort of information like TV listings or what not. There was a fridge and microwave, which was surprising, and neither were in too bad of shape.The carpet was stained in several places, the tile near the sink was cracked, and the sink counter had profanity clearly scratched into it that had obviously been ignored. The tub was okay, but not the cleanest. The whole room seemed to lack a proper cleaning. Even the phone was gross!
Overall, don't stay here if you can avoid it!

Room Tip: ALWAYS Read reviews on a hotel before you book!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nari_92

hi please be advised we have changed managment and remodeled alot of our rooms so please give us onther try thank you

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed in this place several weeks, 3 weeks in a row I spent at least one night in the same room. After the second week I noticed what I thought was poison ivy, a linear, blistered, extremely itchy rash.This week, I saw the culprit, crawling across my sheet. I squashed it in a tissue...it was full of blood. I had a meltdown. I'm a nurse, I cannot STAND parasites on me. I spent the rest of the night crying and hunting bedbugs. I am terrified I have contaminated my home. Management sullenly refunded my stay when I came unglued on them. They will be getting copies of ANY bills incurred from this, along with a letter from my attorney.

Room Tip: Don't choose ANY
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AnitaXanax
Reviewed 13 November 2011

This is one of those hotels that could easily make the top 100 worst hotels in America. Upon check-in, we were told if we wanted our room cleaned, and have clean sheets put on our bed, we would have to pay extra. Also, if we were going to stay more than a few days (we've been here 2 weeks), we could only get clean towels, etc., once a week. The room photos they show on the choicehotels.com site don't look anything like the way they really do. The beds are on wood frames, no padding anywhere. Bathrooms are not in very good shape, tubs constantly drip. Also, the ceiling shows signs of leaking: water stains, the poor excuse of the stucco (bad paint job) is peeling in several places. The floor by the sink has water damage, as well. Every time I step on it, it moves. Bad repairs, in general. Avoid staying here, at all costs.

Room Tip: No good rooms, here
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I work as an auditor for a hotel. I read the reviews for this motel and I called the night auditor at this motel and asked if the reviews posted online were accurate. He said the motel was not bad as the reviews had stated. He lied. My door to the room had to be forced open. Even though it was a nonsmoking motel my room smelled of smoke. The carpet had very bad stains throughout and I would never walk on it barefoot. The bathroom tub clearly had not been throughly cleaned for some time. Overall housekeeping was poor. I called the front desk and requested another room. I was told there were no other rooms. I requested a refund and was told I needed to contact hotels.com. I contacted hotels.com and they agreed to refund 1 night stay but I had to pay for 1 night. I promise you if you stay at this motel, you will regret it.

Room Tip: Arrive early and inspect your room prior to checking into it.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Jameel E
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I have been staying here for about 3 months. Having a hard time finding permit housing. The hotel is okay. Im nit find of the rooms, they need updating bad. The staff is great and will work with you on pricing if needed. Decent and reasonable. Not the best for children, nothing for them to do. And breakfast is unfortunately a joke. You get what you pay for, but not bad. 5.5 out of 10.

• Stayed: August 2011